G.I. Joe: SNAKE EYES (2020)
1 1

36 posts in this topic

 

Quote

Despite the fact that the beloved G.I. Joe action figures and animated series have yet to spawn a successful film franchise, one of its most popular characters is in line for a solo spinoff.

 

According to a new report from THR, Paramount has decided to put a Snake Eyes-centric spinoff movie into development. The studio is currently engaged in talks with Evan Spiliotopoulos, writer of Beaty and the Beast and The Huntsman: Winter's War, to pen the film's --script. Earlier this week, Spiliotopoulos was hired to write the Bright sequel for Netflix and David Ayer.

 

The report also states that Brian Goldner will be one of the solo movie's producers.

 

This solo movie arrives as the third live action G.I. Joe movie in the last ten years. Paramount produced both G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra in 2009, and G.I. Joe: Retaliation in 2013. Neither movie was well received by critics, nor did they perform all that well at the box office.

Both films did feature Snake Eyes however, each time being played by Ray Park. The actor is also known for his roles as Darth Maul in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, and Toad in X-Men.

 

Edited by Bosco685
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

He was GI JOE for me in the 1980s, similar to Wolverine being the X-Men for me.

 

I agree on the hero side. But as villains, who doesn't remember Zartan, Baroness, Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow?

Destro is another one. But I think first four rank higher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I agree on the hero side. But as villains, who doesn't remember Zartan, Baroness, Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow?

Destro is another one. But I think first four rank higher.

That's one plus with GI JOE in that like Batman and Spider-Man they have a great rogues gallery of villains. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2018 at 9:21 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

"One of its most popular characters...?"

Snake Eyes IS the most popular character. Period. 

Agreed - but Stormshadow is pretty close in popularity IMO - but definitely Snake Eyes on the Joe side (but Road Block, Sgt. Slaughter and Duke were personal favs as well :) )

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first movie was so bad, I have little to no hope that this will be any good. But hopefully, it will surprise. I'm curious how they are going to do a whole movie centering around a main character who is mute. 

Snake Eye is clearly the most popular Joe, it's not even close. Dude is a ninja with a wolf. There are some other Joes i have a soft spot for, like Trip Wire, as he was my first action figure. But Snake Eyes is on a different level from the rest of the heroes. 

As for villains... Baroness and Major Blood were always my favorites, but I also really liked the Dreadnoks when I was a kid. Torch was my favorite. Never really cared for Stormshadow that much — I stopped reading the comic because it felt like it was all about Stormshadow and ninja stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

The first movie was so bad, I have little to no hope that this will be any good. But hopefully, it will surprise. I'm curious how they are going to do a whole movie centering around a main character who is mute. 

They may have solved it.

https://thegww.com/g-i-joe-spin-off-snake-eyes-currently-eyeing-late-summer-or-early-fall-production-start/

Slash Film: “Are you going to be able to keep him silent as the star of a film?”

Di Bonaventura: [laughs] “I’m not going to spoil that one. I will say this. Part of the opportunity of going back is to discover who is this guy. For me, I’m most interested in seeing it as an origin story. If you see it as an origin story, you do get to see him speak for X period of time.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

They may have solved it.

https://thegww.com/g-i-joe-spin-off-snake-eyes-currently-eyeing-late-summer-or-early-fall-production-start/

Slash Film: “Are you going to be able to keep him silent as the star of a film?”

Di Bonaventura: [laughs] “I’m not going to spoil that one. I will say this. Part of the opportunity of going back is to discover who is this guy. For me, I’m most interested in seeing it as an origin story. If you see it as an origin story, you do get to see him speak for X period of time.”

Interesting. I forget with the origin books if they showed him talking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting. I forget with the origin books if they showed him talking.

The only book I ever remember seeing him talk was in a GI Joe 3D book and it was pre-commando Snake Eyes.  

With GI Joe 4 and 155 they showed what was going on in his head through his written narration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Capn17 said:

The only book I ever remember seeing him talk was in a GI Joe 3D book and it was pre-commando Snake Eyes.  

With GI Joe 4 and 155 they showed what was going on in his head through his written narration.

Snake Eyes has Wolverine potential. One of the greatest characters ever made. (thumbsu

 

image.jpeg.8bc4bcb840ca54aaf810bfcd827ade5b.jpeg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Snake Eyes has Wolverine potential. One of the greatest characters ever made. (thumbsu

 

image.jpeg.8bc4bcb840ca54aaf810bfcd827ade5b.jpeg

 

Had GI Joe crossed over move back then he would have been everywhere.  Even later on, GI Joe was essentially renamed GI Joe starring Snake-Eyes in the 130s or so.  I, myself, like the earlier version of him (1 - 30).  Especially like his original commando look.

One of my all time favorite covers (although it's not him in his original look).

3413.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1