• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. Joe: SNAKE EYES (2020)
2 2

144 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2022 at 9:48 PM, media_junkie said:

I wanted to like it, but I didn't.

Same here.  

I finally got around to watching it on Amazon Prime and needed to take multiple breaks to clear my brain so I could mentally prepare myself to watch the next half hour of this. 

As a lifelong GI Joe fan I was okay with not having an origin that mirrored the Hama's comic books.  Hey, what works in the comics does not necessarily translate well for the big screen.  I was okay with Snake Eyes not being a blonde haired, blue eyed, white guy.   Who cares?  Within a movie or so he is supposed to take a helicopter explosion to the face, be rendered mute and horribly scarred and wear the mask forever more. 

What made no sense?  In the comics and GI Joe "bible" Storm Shadow is set up for killing his Uncle.  We were introduced to Storm Shadow as a villain in issue 21 and it is not until a half year later in #27 that he reveals that he was set up by someone within Cobra and is only working for them to one day find out who killed his uncle.  Storm Shadow is a complex "villain" and one that would eventually be redeemed.  However he is introduced as a villain.

This movie treated Storm Shadow as a completely sympathetic character and Snake Eyes as kind of a jerk.  Snake Eyes is the one setting everyone up at the beginning of the movie. 

It was meh all around. 

Here, summarized by Hisstank.com from Comicbook.com

https://news.hisstank.com/2022/08/07/andrew-koji-speaks-about-snake-eyes-g-i-joe-origins-movie-failure-79038

Interview with Andrew Koji who played Storm Shadow.  He was was asked about GI Joe while promoting Bullet Train.

While promoting his successful new movie ‘Bullet Train‘, martial artist and actor Andrew Koji (Storm Shadow) is constantly bombarded with questions about the commercial and critical failure of Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins movie.

Being a gentleman, Mr. Koji’s response is quite mature in contrast to the same type of questions thrown at Christopher Eccleston (Destro, G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra)…

“I’m starting to see the balance between the business side and the art side. That was the thing with Snake Eyes, we were kind of going, “Who’s making the decisions here? What film are we making? Are we making a film for the fans? Because if it’s for the fans, surely we should do this and this and that.” I think sometimes some of the producers, they’re not making decisions that are based on integrity or the character’s integrity or the story integrity. They’re making it based just on money. It’s turned this industry and this whole streaming thing into this cog machine. I think maybe the films we grew up with were a bit more special. I’m sure there was still a bunch of trash there at the time. I’m sure. But I think it still feels a bit out of whack.”

When asked whether what he took as experience while working for Snake Eyes movie…

“What I hear is that it’s important to get on your feature-film thing as soon as possible. As soon as you get the thing, you do that because then you’re on some sort of list or you’ve got some pre-studio deal or something like that. So that was part of it. I did actually like Robert [Schwentke], the director. He’s definitely more of an actor’s director than a franchise or IP one. And I guess it did lead to Bullet Train, which then also led to the film I did with John Malkovich [Seneca – On the Creation of Earthquakes]. And then, I got the independent film I did after that.”

Mr. Koji also spoke of the constant conflict he had with the G.I. Joe Origins movie…

“Now, I’m a lot more relaxed. I see that doesn’t necessarily help. I’m definitely trying to enjoy the ride a bit more. But at the same time, as I’m speaking this out loud, I’ve been making notes about this and thinking about that. You don’t want to become too complacent. I remember that for Snake Eyes. Because of the --script and a lot of the things going on, I was not sleeping. I was going, “How do I make this work, because this is awful? How am I going to do this?” So it’s that weird balance that I’m trying to figure out between ease and efficiency. I haven’t got the answer.”

And finally, he was asked whether he’d return to the G.I. Joe Franchise…

“I have no idea, man. We’ll see,” the actor tells us. “Someone might have to take that mantle over at some point.”

To the audience of the movie, Andrew Koji is arguably the best part of it. We wish him the best for all of his upcoming projects.

Edited by Buzzetta

Say what you want about this film not following the G.I. Joe blueprint. I had a good time rewatching this film.

And with Snake Eyes finding out his dad had been a Joe the entire time, leading to his having to follow in his footsteps, that was a cool touch.

I wouldn't mind seeing more.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:37 PM, Bosco685 said:

Say what you want about this film not following the G.I. Joe blueprint. I had a good time rewatching this film.

And with Snake Eyes finding out his dad had been a Joe the entire time, leading to his having to follow in his footsteps, that was a cool touch.

I wouldn't mind seeing more.

That revision to his origin was admittedly cool.  I actually liked that revision a little more than the comics version of Snake Eyes' parents and twin sister being coincidentally killed by a drunk driver who was the brother of the man who would eventually become Cobra Commander.