• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there any recourse for CCS/CGC damaging my book(s)?

15 posts in this topic

Long story short, I sent in an ASM 14. It came back with the cover detached at the bottom staple. I know for a fact that the staple was attached prior to sending it in because I took scans of it. I was worried about the ink smudge on the right but as you can see, the cover is clearly attached. Is there anything I can do to hold CCS or CGC accountable (most likely it was CCS since CGC even noted it  on the graders notes) for this? I also got back a "Qualified" ASM Annual #1 with detached pages that I know weren't detached when I sent them in but unfortunately do not have proof of it. What the hell is going on over at CCS?

s-l1600.jpg

0511181749.jpg

0511181749a (1).jpg

0511181749c.jpg

0511181750 (1).jpg

0511181750a.jpg

Have you tried contacting CGC or CCS (or their parent)?  I'd start there.  I don't know if they'll make you totally whole, but I'd be surprised if they did nothing.

<SKEPTICISM>.  This is hitting me hard, after CCS contacted me directly to advise that the single book I sent in for pressing, in its slabbed 7.0 condition, had a spine split open, and was going , uh, no longer even be a 7. It came back as a 5.5. Considering how valuable the book was, I was livid. For that dis-satisfaction, I also had to pay, as well for grading.  All I got was a  "things happen, oops, no recourse" email from CCS. 

I'm more pissed right now because I just got a Wonder Woman 105 sent back to me with a 1/4 spine split. Not 1/4". Nope.  FULL 1 quarter of the spine split.  Same with another, much earlier WW.

Anyone else having similar issues?

I'm not sure but if you pay for the CCS screening service and something happens you may have a better chance at compensation. Otherwise it's always been a gray area. Realizing things can happen in shipping and handling, it's near impossible to prove who is at fault.

3 hours ago, Darkwing7869 said:

Long story short, I sent in an ASM 14. It came back with the cover detached at the bottom staple. I know for a fact that the staple was attached prior to sending it in because I took scans of it. I was worried about the ink smudge on the right but as you can see, the cover is clearly attached. Is there anything I can do to hold CCS or CGC accountable (most likely it was CCS since CGC even noted it  on the graders notes) for this? I also got back a "Qualified" ASM Annual #1 with detached pages that I know weren't detached when I sent them in but unfortunately do not have proof of it. What the hell is going on over at CCS?

s-l1600.jpg

0511181749c.jpg

In the post slab pic, it looks like there is some paper loss, parallel to the staple, right along the spine. The paper was pulled off. I believe it was from this pull that caused the staple to detach. I'm not a presser but maybe the book was not covered properly ? Or maybe the book had a sticky substance in that location causing a pull when pressing?  

From now on, take photographs of the front/back cover then inside front/back cover and centerfold before submission. They should acknowledge the condition beforehand. I will call them if they will take the photographs before the submission so they may pinpoint anyone at fault.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, Sackolantern said:

<SKEPTICISM>.  This is hitting me hard, after CCS contacted me directly to advise that the single book I sent in for pressing, in its slabbed 7.0 condition, had a spine split open, and was going , uh, no longer even be a 7. It came back as a 5.5. Considering how valuable the book was, I was livid. For that dis-satisfaction, I also had to pay, as well for grading.  All I got was a  "things happen, oops, no recourse" email from CCS. 

I'm more pissed right now because I just got a Wonder Woman 105 sent back to me with a 1/4 spine split. Not 1/4". Nope.  FULL 1 quarter of the spine split.  Same with another, much earlier WW.

Anyone else having similar issues?

This is really a bummer. The only feedback I can give you is that I noticed the ASM #14 has "Cream to Off-White" pages (according to the CGC label). This usually indicates there is a fairly significant amount of yellowing or tanning to the pages, and likely the interior cover as well. If the cover is tanned even slightly, it tends to be more fragile, especially with books that are this old. Personally, I would not submit a book for pressing that has any tanning issues. I'm very sorry for what happened to your books, but from what I've heard, CCS will pre-screen books and reject the ones they don't feel are good candidates for pressing. I hope this helps in some way, and I wish you the best of luck with this situation...:sorry:

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

This is really a bummer. The only feedback I can give you is that I noticed the ASM #14 has "Cream to Off-White" pages (according to the CGC label). This usually indicates there is a fairly significant amount of yellowing or tanning to the pages, and likely the interior cover as well. If the cover is tanned even slightly, it tends to be more fragile, especially with books that are this old. Personally, I would not submit a book for pressing that has any tanning issues. I'm very sorry for what happened to your books, but from what I've heard, CCS will pre-screen books and reject the ones they don't feel are good candidates for pressing. I hope this helps in some way, and I wish you the best of luck with this situation...:sorry:

Besides tanning, rusty staples don't help (not that this has rust). The rust eats the paper and staple pops are common.

33 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Besides tanning, rusty staples don't help (not that this has rust). The rust eats the paper and staple pops are common.

That's a good point, Phil. There certainly could be problems trying to press a book with deteriorated staples...  (tsk)

So far I think the most important thing has not been addressed. CCS charges $$  to screen a comic book for suitability of pressing. . Screening is specifically recommended on the CCS home page to mitigate the chance of damage during pressing. If screening was not paid for there is zero chance of getting any sort of compensation from damage as a result of pressing. 

Even if screening was paid, there is no guarantee of compensation - but your chances are probably better.  The  last two paragraphs on CCS's homepage explain it best::

Link:  https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/

Because of the interactive nature of pressing, there is always a possibility of damage occurring to the comic book. This generally only happens if a comic book is in fragile condition, including books that are tanned or brittle, spines exhibiting splits, loose paper on the staples, or pieces that are barely attached. To mitigate the possibility of damage, it is recommended that each book is examined for these defects prior to submission. When in doubt, the CCS screening service should be utilized to assess safety.

Because it is impossible to ensure that damage will not occur, CCS will not be held liable for split spines, covers or pages detached from staples, or detached pieces.

6 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Those don't look like the same book.

Pro-tip - stop pressing books with spine splits and other serious damage.

When I first looked at it I thought the books were different too, but after closer inspection I think the cover shifted (probably due to the detachment) and makes it looks different.
But to your point...STOP pressing older fragile books!  

19 minutes ago, Avi said:
28 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Those don't look like the same book.

Pro-tip - stop pressing books with spine splits and other serious damage.

When I first looked at it I thought the books were different too, but after closer inspection I think the cover shifted (probably due to the detachment) and makes it looks different.
But to your point...STOP pressing older fragile books!  

This is the culture that CGC has helped to create. Press everything regardless of whether it needs it or makes any sense to do it.