• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel headed for MCU

27 posts in this topic

Captain Marvel’s shooting right now with Brie Larson,” he said, talking to the BBC. “Ms. Marvel, which is another character in the comic books, the Muslim hero who is inspired by Captain Marvel, is definitely sort of in the works. We have plans for that once we’ve introduced Captain Marvel to the world.”

https://io9.gizmodo.com/kevin-feige-says-the-mcu-has-plans-for-kamala-khans-m-1825981826?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter

Great character, great comics, great stories. Certainly is very much in the vein of early Spider-Man background / story-wise. Works well and her personality is winning. Will look forward to more announcements on this.

23 hours ago, shadroch said:

Not familiar with the character but fan reaction seems pretty good. Of course some people will see it is 1) a Muslim and 2) a woman and reject it. 

Such is life.

Ms. Marvel was a man? :bigsmile:

13 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Why? Just curious.

The character is a female version of Plastic Man.  She's popular in the same sense as Miles Morales...different but based on existing characters.

If she exists in the MCU then you're looking at a potential Champions introduction (Marvel's version of Teen Titans) which is composed of more characters based on existing characters.

Nobody likes photocopies of photocopieslol.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
I really need to check my spelling before submitting

On 5/12/2018 at 5:08 PM, shadroch said:

Not familiar with the character but fan reaction seems pretty good. Of course some people will see it is 1) a Muslim and 2) a woman and reject it. 

Such is life.

And some people will see it as 1) a Muslim and 2) a woman and embrace it...purely for those reasons. Good chance the actual movie gets lost in the “social movement”, media, and politics that will surround it...which is good for the box office, and undoubtedly went into the decision to move forward with the project.

Since Black Panther they’ve been open about targeting minority demographic characters.

It annoys me. I watch movies to be entertained and because I love the characters/stories...leave the noise out of it...

I say this with the utmost respect for women and Muslims btw...no disrespect...I just see it for what it is, manipulating the public’s sensibilities for a money grab...

21 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

And some people will see it as 1) a Muslim and 2) a woman and embrace it...purely for those reasons.

Sure, that's natural. My whole life I read about Superheroes that were primarily white male. Because I relate to that. I'm a white male. There was no shortage of them. If I had grown up in a world where most of the characters were female and another color, I would probably be delighted that someone would make a superhero movie about a white male character.

I totally see why they'd be happy.

Good chance the actual movie gets lost in the “social movement”, media, and politics that will surround it...which is good for the box office, and undoubtedly went into the decision to move forward with the project.

What does this even mean? 

There will be fanboys screaming and complaining online about it for sure, but in Big Budget Hollywood, the only "social movement" I'm aware of is making money. Little films, can carry a message. Big movies with $125 Million + budgets are made to make money. Nobody risks that for their politics.

Since Black Panther they’ve been open about targeting minority demographic characters.

The comic or the movie?

If you mean the movies, the plan was in place long before Black Panther came out. Re: The Actual Comics

Marvel has targeted other demographics for as far back as when I was kid, long before most of these people  where born who complain about it and think it's some 'new' social movement. The revamped X-Men of 1975 featured a black female, an American Indian, an Irishman, a Japanese, and a Canadian. Now THAT was a social movement, by some idealistic creators, but it seems to be accepted by today's angry reactionaries. Weird.

And remember, when you say 'minority demographic characters', that's in AMERICA.

Big corporations see it as the WORLD. 

Marvel's already got their printed Korea female superhero in place, that is going to be a HUGE movie when they decide to do it. The amount of Asians on the planet dwarfs all of us. Add into that what most Americans think of as 'Indian', and that's the MAJORITY of the planet. 

A business is always going to seek out bigger markets when it can.

It annoys me. I watch movies to be entertained and because I love the characters/stories...leave the noise out of it...

Why can't you be entertained and love the stories of a character who just so happens to be Muslim?

The 'noise' is all made by the people who don't want it: white, male fan boys and political commentators. 

I LOVED it when I first saw the Black Panther (Avengers #87), and Luke Cage, and Mantis (Avengers #112), and... I don't know. I thought it was cool because it WASN'T more of the same thing. 

I say this with the utmost respect for women and Muslims btw...no disrespect...I just see it for what it is, manipulating the public’s sensibilities for a money grab...

Making Spider-man a movie is a money grab. It's ALL a money grab. Why is it any different because the characters not a white male?

Sounds to me like excuses.

40 minutes ago, OrangeNemesis said:

im curious how the middle east will embrace this? They dont seem to like seeing women especially muslim women in a power role etc. Hell, they dont want them driving cars or voting so saving the world would blow their minds.

In certain countries for sure. But there are a LOT of Muslims in the world, in a LOT of different countries, and just like many cultures, they begin to assimilate the societies they live in. You see a lot of Muslims in America who've pretty much adapted to this way of life. Heck, I see a lot of Muslim's in Thailand who've adapted to a more Western style of life.

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

Sure, that's natural. My whole life I read about Superheroes that were primarily white male. Because I relate to that. I'm a white male. There was no shortage of them. If I had grown up in a world where most of the characters were female and another color, I would probably be delighted that someone would make a superhero movie about a white male character.

I totally see why they'd be happy.

What does this even mean? 

There will be fanboys screaming and complaining online about it for sure, but in Big Budget Hollywood, the only "social movement" I'm aware of is making money. Little films, can carry a message. Big movies with $125 Million + budgets are made to make money. Nobody risks that for their politics.

The comic or the movie?

If you mean the movies, the plan was in place long before Black Panther came out. Re: The Actual Comics

Marvel has targeted other demographics for as far back as when I was kid, long before most of these people  where born who complain about it and think it's some 'new' social movement. The revamped X-Men of 1975 featured a black female, an American Indian, an Irishman, a Japanese, and a Canadian. Now THAT was a social movement, by some idealistic creators, but it seems to be accepted by today's angry reactionaries. Weird.

And remember, when you say 'minority demographic characters', that's in AMERICA.

Big corporations see it as the WORLD. 

Marvel's already got their printed Korea female superhero in place, that is going to be a HUGE movie when they decide to do it. The amount of Asians on the planet dwarfs all of us. Add into that what most Americans think of as 'Indian', and that's the MAJORITY of the planet. 

A business is always going to seek out bigger markets when it can.

Why can't you be entertained and love the stories of a character who just so happens to be Muslim?

The 'noise' is all made by the people who don't want it: white, male fan boys and political commentators. 

I LOVED it when I first saw the Black Panther (Avengers #87), and Luke Cage, and Mantis (Avengers #112), and... I don't know. I thought it was cool because it WASN'T more of the same thing. 

Making Spider-man a movie is a money grab. It's ALL a money grab. Why is it any different because the characters not a white male?

Sounds to me like excuses.

Excellent post.

8 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

In certain countries for sure. But there are a LOT of Muslims in the world, in a LOT of different countries, and just like many cultures, they begin to assimilate the societies they live in. You see a lot of Muslims in America who've pretty much adapted to this way of life. Heck, I see a lot of Muslim's in Thailand who've adapted to a more Western style of life.

Oh for sure. Just find the topic interesting in those countries that take ti to the extreme. Like thos who wouldnt play wonder woman because gadot is Israeli