• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UNREAD is not a Comic Grade !

44 posts in this topic

I offered 5 “look unread copies of spawn 1” in a grading contest as a prize. Recipient graded them 4 9.8’s 1 9.0. So I agree it is not a grade but it does give an idea of expected condition. 

If you can't beat them, join them. "Unread" is not a grade, but it does tell me something about the history of a book.

it used to be that things like "white pages" and "never been pressed" were odd things to say... now, they're standard language. A healthy hobby is one that continues to evolve.

3 hours ago, siro123 said:

I am seeing this more and more on ebay .

This needs to stop ! 

UNREAD is not a comic Grade.

I agree, but it's better than nothing. And better than "read twice on the toilet".

5 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

True. The last item I bought on eBay had the following as its only description.

”Please judge condition for yourself.”

Ok. Can I then judge how much I want to pay for it too? :D

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I list my comics as 'this book has never even been looked at'.

Ah, the Stevie Wonder collection :cloud9:

3 hours ago, siro123 said:

I am seeing this more and more on ebay .

This needs to stop ! 

UNREAD is not a comic Grade.

It's all subjective.  I'm not a professional grader, so the best I can do is offer up a history of the book as I know it.  As long as someone offers up a general FR/G/FN/NM (+/-) identifier that the photos can justify and they throw in other things like "never read.  bought and immediately bagged/boarded", I don't see what the issue is.  If you want a professionally graded book...don't buy raw on eBay.

17 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I agree, but it's better than nothing. And better than "read twice on the toilet".

I actually bought a 'read twice on the toilet' book once. Browning is a terrible page quality flaw isn't it. 

13 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

It's all subjective.  I'm not a professional grader

I hate when people say that.  If you can grade it when you buy it, you can grade it when you sell it.

I don't mind "unread" as much as "stored in plastic."  I don't think I've seen it on eBay, that's mostly a treat people save for Craigslist/Kijiji.

"Not a professional grader or a professional photographer so no pics.  Book is definitely in great condition, though"