• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UNREAD is not a Comic Grade !

44 posts in this topic

"Not a professional grader"
"Ok I'm not a professional financier so - no payment"

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I hate when people say that.  If you can grade it when you buy it, you can grade it when you sell it.

I'm not getting paid by any professional grading company, so at no point in my handling of the book will I have been able to make a professional judgement on the book.  When I bought the book, it was my own amateurish grading.  And when I sell the book, it's gonna be the same amateur judgement call.  When I say "i'm not a professional grader", I just mean I'm not in a position to grade on a 0-10 scale.  I could say a book looks like a 9.6, but if it doesn't come back as that, then I'm liable for false advertising.  It does me no good to get specific, so I might as well resort to the basic grading system ranging from Poor to Mint.

"Book has only been read twice.  Compare to other books that have been read like, a dozen times"

1 minute ago, kav said:

2a7iyy.jpg

Yup. I was just thinking of that myself.

The Nigel Tufnel Guide to Grading.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. I was just thinking of that myself.

The Nigel Tufnel Guide to Grading.

You could also apply his take on mini sandwiches to comics-"Yes but then I have this and I dont want this-"

1 minute ago, wombat said:

I grade this book an 11.0. Its one better than 10. 

^^

-because what if you have a book thats like-really just incredible and like-you know you need that extra little oomph and where do you go?  Nowhere.  This way you can grade to 11-

8 minutes ago, wombat said:

We need to make this happen. A comic book themed Spinal Tap movie. 

It follows a group of creators at cons and stuff and like puppet show gets more hits at their table-

And like sigs $50  then marked down to $40 then $10, $5 then I will give you $20 if i can sign your comic "nah"

then at the end "Hey our book Teenage Power Teens is really hot in Cambodia-"

With a riff on the artist is known for never drawing knees :roflmao:

Edited by kav

‘Your comic books used to sell in the hundreds of thousands, but now you’re lucky to sell out 10,000, and, uh, I was just wondering, does this mean the popularity of your material is waning?’

‘Oh, no, no, no, no, no, not at all.  I just think our appeal is becoming more selective.’

This cover is completely black-I mean how much more black could it be?  None.

23 hours ago, siro123 said:

I am seeing this more and more on ebay .

This needs to stop ! 

UNREAD is not a comic Grade.

Nor is it a substitute for describing the condition of the comic.  UNREAD tells me nothing about the comic other than the book was never opened for reading but could have so much else done to it. 

When I see this in a listing I feel it's a coverup for so many other things that could be wrong with the book.  I've received more than my fair share of "unread" but ...(insert obvious flaw here)

I wish these sellers would save us both time and shipping and include any additional relevant information regarding the comic's condition after the words "UNREAD" such as this:

"UNREAD, but has a bunch of color break spine creases from being bent over the comic display rack (or half filled comic box) all month"

"UNREAD, but extremely manhandled by the store employee when pulling it out fo the Diamond box leaving color break finger bends"

"UNREAD, but beat to hell by Diamond packing/shipping"

"UNREAD, and covered with printing ink rub defects"

"UNREAD, and with a blunted corner from when I dropped it while trying to insert/remove from the bag/board"

"Brand New and UNREAD, and I may not be a professional grader but even I can tell this would not have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a 9.8 even during a loose CGC grading period"

"Brand New and UNREAD, and ungraded as it was a CGC pre-screen 9.8 reject but why don't you try"

It's annoying seeing this all the time but I choose to only buy from sellers who are willing to send me clear front and back cover photos or scans of the comic anyway.  If they don't respond or can't be bothered to do that then it's a pass for me. 

Sorry to momentarily derail the cool Spinal Tap references, but my point is it's such a fine line between stupid, and uh...

Edited by justafan