• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLINK Spring Featured Auction started
2 2

108 posts in this topic

I know you're kidding, but I'm surprised yellowing doesn't bother more people.   I get that there's only one, but there's also always something else just as cool to spend your money on (such as an equally great piece that isn't toned).   I've never had a toned board whitened but maybe it can be done without damaging the inks too much.    If its safe to do maybe people ignore the yellowing; I don't know much about it and wouldn't want to try my luck.

Edited by Bronty

Robert Dennis should be able to conserve and deacidify the DD cover. I've seen him do wonders on much worse pieces.

That cover was offered to me privately many moons ago for 50K.  I passed but another buyer stepped up.

I think the DD cover will sell for more than the McFarlane.  :whatthe:

Good luck to everyone.

Cheers!

N.

13 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Robert Dennis should be able to conserve and deacidify the DD cover. I've seen him do wonders on much worse pieces.

That cover was offered to me privately many moons ago for 50K.  I passed but another buyer stepped up.

Good luck to everyone.

Cheers!

N.

I remember, it was probably years ago at this point, it was in the caf classifieds at 55k.  I want to say David Mandel was the seller, but I'm not sure.  At the time, I remember thinking 55k seemed really high for a pre-168 DD cover (that's how long ago it must have been).  But who knows...

33 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Good luck to everyone.

Cheers!

N.

Do you really think the Miller will sell more than the McFarlane?

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

...  I get that there's only one, but there's also always something else just as cool to spend your money on (such as an equally great piece that isn't toned).   

Um, I gonna say I disagree with that statement because that's not always the case, especially in a nostalgia - driven hobby.

At first I thought "great ending an OA auction on a Tuesday rather than a Friday." Then I realized it was the day after Memorial Day and is probably not the best to end an auction.

Prices still look pretty low almost across the board for "day of" auction. I am still winning a few tracking bids.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Miller hulk cover made a nice jump to $43K.

McSpidey cover still at $68K.

Which cover will come out on top?

auctions ending tonite!

I will be shocked if McSpidey doesn't come out on top. 

On 5/24/2018 at 4:26 PM, Bronty said:

Agreed.

its crazy how toned some of the boards from this era are.    Who’s storing them in their toaster ovens?

Just curious, and so not to start another thread, but is the toning due to exposure to light, or will the paper tone nonetheless over time because (I assume) the paper itself isn't acid free?

I would think its the same principles as any other old paper.    Temperature and humidity swings are the biggest culprits.    It will tone given enough time, but these aren't that old.

Keep pieces from this era in the closet of your house with AC and heating and they should look fresh.

Put them in a texas attic or a woodshed in alaska and they won't look so good.

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah.    Its one of the best mcfarlanes you could own (top 10 maybe?) and while the miller is super cool, hulk's forearm isn't going to get the job done IMO.

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I have that stupid "yellow" song in my head thanks to you! 

ASM 311, easily breaks $100K, but, stops short of $121K...

Does anyone else here know the true story of this cover being offered for sale at a 'small' show in Galveston, TX, so, so many years ago??...

For those geographically challenged, Galveston is located to the southeast of Houston, TX...

Hint: The same seller had it up next to the cover of ASM 68...which he sold for $500!!!...