• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLINK Spring Featured Auction started
2 2

108 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Flambit said:

I was actually a bit surprised to see the Miller DD hit 59k.  The DD 190 cover was on clink a couple of years ago and only reached 40k.  It's a little abstract, but I think I would have rather had that one, especially for the price, even though Elektra's face is in shadow.  

I actually think 60K-ish is the right price for the DD 163 cover. But, given how hot this market has been, I thought it would probably do 70-something, if not 80K.  

The DD 190 cover sold cheaply; there was a whole backstory to it whereby the consignor grossly overpaid and took an almighty bath on it, IIRC.  That said, I'm pretty sure it was a lot longer than a couple of years ago at this point.  For some reason, I recall talking about this cover with someone while commuting to work in NJ, and I haven't been at that job since 2011. 

Edited by delekkerste

The Miller DD cover had been offered around over the years. People have had their chance to own it. Had it been newer to the market, or had Janson inked it, it would have sold for at least 25% higher IMO.

Someone got a nice deal on the Kirby Thor cover. I'd attribute some of the lower than expected price to Romita's corrections to Thor's face. Bidders want their Kirby to look like Kirby. Without that I for one would have bid higher on it. 

- Mark T

10 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

I thought I had a  very strong chance with Pia Guerra’s Y Page with a $4K bid.  Oh boy was I wrong!    Congrats to seller and buyer.  

Taking a look at the bidding history, there were two bidders at the last second with $7k bids each. If one of them didn't turn up, it would have sold for a more pedestrian $4,400 instead of $7,100. The news that FX ordered a pilot last month certainly helped. I hope this spurs some other pages to come to market!  Congrats to the seller!

10 hours ago, dinesh_s said:

Was planning on being aggressive on several pieces but closed a six figure deal this morning and had to rethink a number of the bids lol. Ended up winning the MCP 132 cover though for $1600 :)

Congratulations! I managed to sleep all night without going for a pee so it was a good day/night for us both.

Edited by t3quila

21 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

ASM 311, easily breaks $100K, but, stops short of $121K...

Does anyone else here know the true story of this cover being offered for sale at a 'small' show in Galveston, TX, so, so many years ago??...

For those geographically challenged, Galveston is located to the southeast of Houston, TX...

Hint: The same seller had it up next to the cover of ASM 68...which he sold for $500!!!...

how funny......... this makes sense now....I bought the ASM 68 cover from a guy in Texas for around 2000 dollars back around 1992-1993. LOL

Edited by romitaman

32 minutes ago, romitaman said:

how funny......... this makes sense now....I bought the ASM 68 cover from a guy in Texas for around 2000 dollars back around 1992-1993. LOL

Yes you did...

The story goes that he flipped the ASM 68 cover to you that weekend for $2,500...

The ASM 311 cover was priced at $1,000, next to the ASM 68 cover at $500...

58 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

Yes you did...

The story goes that he flipped the ASM 68 cover to you that weekend for $2,500...

Wow, an immediate 5x profit. I’m so sorry you got burned, Mike. 

1 hour ago, First Upgrade said:

Yes you did...

I don’t remember there ever being a show, small or big, on Galveston. Not even a comic shop way back when. Bought my comics at the 7-11 near my house. There was a show in Houston that I went to around ‘75. But maybe you are referring to not so way back...

...and the only place to buy back issues was a used bookstore called The Old Bookshelf. Old guy, smoked a pipe and really nice, would bring out stacks of comics from the back one at a time for you to flip through. I remember getting my Hulk 181 there. That thing flew off the rack and I was lucky to get it used a month later. Has 15c written in marker on the front, which was the ‘used’ price.

So after another auction where Howard the Duck pages did well IMHO do most still feel like this has anything to do with Burkey?

GIANT-SIZE MAN-THING #4 PAGE 1 $20,250

GIANT-SIZE MAN-THING #4 PAGE 6 $6,100

John B.

Definitely lower prices on this one.  I think finishing the day after the holiday really kept prices from jumping in the final few minutes.  I actually picked up a few things, including one of my top 5 most wanted pages.  So a successful auction for me.  

9 hours ago, marktom said:

The Miller DD cover had been offered around over the years. People have had their chance to own it. Had it been newer to the market, or had Janson inked it, it would have sold for at least 25% higher IMO.

Someone got a nice deal on the Kirby Thor cover. I'd attribute some of the lower than expected price to Romita's corrections to Thor's face. Bidders want their Kirby to look like Kirby. Without that I for one would have bid higher on it. 

- Mark T

Agreed on both points - the non Janson inks and the Romita face on the Thor cover both definitely contributed to my lack of interest.  Did the Thor cover go for 25k?  I lost track of it.  I remember the Kirby Thor 258 cover (Grey Gargoyle) sold at least twice on Heritage and Thor's face is redrawn there, but that was, what, 33k?  Wow - the winner did get a great buy!  I personally like the 258 cover better, but the 253 has such a great, dynamic Thor pose!  

Edited by Flambit
missed a word

1 hour ago, Flambit said:

Agreed on both points - the non Janson inks and the Romita face on the Thor cover both definitely contributed to my lack of interest.  Did the Thor cover go for 25k?  I lost track of it.  I remember the Kirby Thor 258 cover (Grey Gargoyle) sold at least twice on Heritage and Thor's face is redrawn there, but that was, what, 33k?  Wow - the winner did get a great buy!  I personally like the 258 cover better, but the 253 has such a great, dynamic Thor pose!  

Thor 253 cover sold for $33.5k but still a good buy.

2 hours ago, Flambit said:

45 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Thor 253 cover sold for $33.5k but still a good buy.

And the Thor #258 cover sold on HA in Nov 2015 for $26,290 not $33k.

(and between the two I prefer the #253). 

Edited by Ironmandrd

On 5/29/2018 at 6:24 PM, mister_not_so_nice said:

UGH, walked in the door and saw 22 seconds remaining on the item i was interested in (thought I had a few hours to spare).  Placed a hasty unintentional snipe and got it. :whee:

Got a tracking number from CLink this morning  :banana: