• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to WD #1 value?!?!
3 3

160 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Zombies aren't exclusive to Wd, and if the revival is new stories, maybe not from Kirkman then does it keep the ties to the comic (meaning does it make people want to go buy the comic and help keep the #1 desirable?)

What is the comic (or comic magazine) first appearance of zombies? (Possibly it's Menace #5 (1953)?) Should the popularity of Walking Dead have already pushed collectors toward those original zombie collectibles?  Would the return of zombie-mania (eventually, since it does keep coming back after it's dead... like a... something... I'll think of the word) be a good thing for Walking Dead #1 or would it be better to find the original zombie book(s) and stock up?

I think WD #1 and the keys from issues 1-20 especially characters that are still alive will retain some sort of a floor but the show lost a ton of viewers once

Spoiler

Glenn and Abraham were killed off.  They lost more after Carl died.  But the ratings may not just be due to the deaths as the storyline has suffered and just dragged on way too long.

They lost me a season ago but I found that my DVR had recorded this last season.  I tried watching it again and saw 3 episodes.  For a bit I thought I was getting back into it but then realized my DVR had missed recording 2-3 episodes in between and what I thought was the show speeding up with back to back action episodes was actually the fact that I had skipped 2 or 3 episodes of boring content barely relevant to the progression of the show.  And that's the issue with the show.  They just drag it out.  Maybe someday someone will put together an episode guide like they did with Star Wars, that lists which episodes to watch and which to avoid with a 1 liner describing the only 1 or 2 bits of relevant info in the excluded episodes. 

Don't forget, there's typically been a dip in sales prices between the seasons with a rise in prices once the new season starts.  One of the WD threads here has a trend line showing this or maybe just look it up in GPA.

I think it'll always be at least a $1k book.  The 9.8 Black label may even always be a $2k book.  Not sure about the 9.9's.  But if you bought it at $2k or more and were expecting it to keep going you may be disappointed.

As for the other issues in 1-100, the time to sell may have already passed.  Not sure what the going rate is for NM raw but at one point it used to be $20/issue for non-key raws from issue 50 and below.  Might be more of a buyers market now.

I don't know, maybe if somehow the writing and tempo got way better or they decided to release a movie where a huge reveal in the origin of the zombie disease or hunt for a cure was progressed, you might see a spike again.

Season 8 was awful..  If the book was written the way season  8 was filmed It would amount to each page in the comic book being a full spread headshot of a character discussing the situation or simply staring into the distance with only one or two pages with a few panels with characters actually doing anything. 

It's no wonder interest has dropped, the writers gave up 

People are complaining about a modern, non variant that sells for $2200+?

(shrug)

-J.

:gossip: PS: Walking Dead is still Image's top selling comic book title by far and will, according to Kirkman, continue for years after the show ultimately does end.  I remember when little details like that are what drove interest in comic book back issues.  

13 hours ago, lightninglad said:

I see Walking Dead as being akin to Star Trek. It'll die out with the masses, still have a cult following, and have a revival at some point.  But it may be 30 years down the road.

The quality of the core show has definitely hurt product all around.

I think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles may be a more apt comparison... both were small indie books with surprising breakout success.

And there's been plenty of times since 1984 that TMNT (as a "property") has been on life support...

2 hours ago, Brock said:

I think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles may be a more apt comparison... both were small indie books with surprising breakout success.

And there's been plenty of times since 1984 that TMNT (as a "property") has been on life support...

Indeed, and Stan Sakai could should be a zillionaire . . . :bigsmile:

TWD is not at all like Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin where the values skyrocketed quickly for now reason and became a roller coaster of peaks and valleys.

I'd also say the values did increase due to the TV show and everyone knows that the lifespan of a TV show has an inevitable death (unless you're a cartoon like the Simpsons), be it Seinfeld, MASH, The Cosby Show, Cheers, etc. - - So, anyone buying it based on the TV show retaining popularity with longevity will probably be disappointed by that fact.

The comic book series has been pretty awesome and well written story arcs for the most part.  It seems to be able to sustain itself as an ongoing dramatic series with new characters and old ones dying to be replaced.  If handled without any silly "shark jumping" publicity stunts, it can go on indefinitely under the helm of Robert Kirkman's writing.  I'm sure another writer can refresh the creative, but another writer can also easily destroy the series too.  As for artwork, Adlard's work has been great in setting the mood, much better than Tony Moore's cartoonish looking art.  I'd say the best replacement for Adlard would be a more noir styled artist like Frank Miller, Tim Sale, Mike Mignola, Ryan Sook, Sean Phillips, John Cassaday, Klaus Janson, or Jae Lee.  

I think the print run has established the issue as being scarce relative to comic book print runs, 'tho not at all impossible to find in any condition if you're willing to throw money at it, so it's not one of those truly hard to find comics.  I think the demand continues to outnumber the supply, so it's not going to dump anytime soon, it may dip and drop a bit, but won't become like what "The Elementals" and "The Fish Police" were in the 1980's, from hot to dollar bind fodder.

17 hours ago, lightninglad said:

I see Walking Dead as being akin to Star Trek. It'll die out with the masses, still have a cult following, and have a revival at some point.  But it may be 30 years down the road.

The quality of the core show has definitely hurt product all around.

The magic of Star Trek has always, always been the characters. People don't love ST...they love Kirk, and Spock, and Bones, and Uhura, and "Oh myyyy" and Picard and Data, and 7 of 9...etc etc etc.

WD, on the other hand, has a nasty habit of killing everyone off.

And Andrea's never coming back.

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The magic of Star Trek has always, always been the characters. People don't love ST...they love Kirk, and Spock, and Bones, and Uhura, and "Oh myyyy" and Picard and Data, and 7 of 9...etc etc etc.

WD, on the other hand, has a nasty habit of killing everyone off.

And Andrea's never coming back.

Exactly.  I loved Glenn... once he's gone... good bye.. don't really care about Rick or Negan.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Exactly.  I loved Glenn... once he's gone... good bye.. don't really care about Rick or Negan.

+1 - I watched a couple episodes after the smashing and it just didn't feel right and i"ve not watched another episode.  Way - way too many shows to watch for me spend time on a show I'm not in to.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:14 AM, Grendel72 said:

Even if WD #1 9.8 does peter out to say $800 , its still quite remarkable for a non super hero book. I honestly never imagined it would reach the prices it did. Certainly the best has come and gone. I still follow the show and buy the omnibus when it comes out but not sure how long I will continue. 

I've always thought that a NM would settle in between $500-750 or so, which is definitely solid for a non-hero book. 9.8s might settle in around $1000, again, a great level for a non-hero book. I think there is enough collector interest to sustain those numbers. $2,000+ for a 9.8 seemed bubblicious.

Might depend on how much worse the show gets too. Whether of not it just peters out slowly or gets so bad that it's a total joke and becomes seen as extremely uncool. To me it's been the latter the last year or two, due to the horrible writing and execution

They also need to nix The Talking Dead. This isn't event TV anymore, and the talking it up and the hype they attempt after each episode on TD is laughable  

Edited by Oat Willy1

You all are a bunch of critiques aren't you. Walking dead will stand the test of time. In one way shape or form, just like all other pop culture properties you will see comics, Video games, cosplay, RPG, trading cards, t-shirts, syndication, action figures, funko pops, mud runs, etc. etc. over the course of the next 50 years. It isn't going away anytime soon. Multiple books have been written, spin off tv show, and future potential for more with Kirkman being a powerhouse player now with Amazon, he won't let his baby die a slow death.

4 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

You all are a bunch of critiques aren't you. Walking dead will stand the test of time. In one way shape or form, just like all other pop culture properties you will see comics, Video games, cosplay, RPG, trading cards, t-shirts, syndication, action figures, funko pops, mud runs, etc. etc. over the course of the next 50 years. It isn't going away anytime soon. Multiple books have been written, spin off tv show, and future potential for more with Kirkman being a powerhouse player now with Amazon, he won't let his baby die a slow death.

Found the guy hoarding WD comics

7 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

You forgot Beanie Babies.

8 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

Critics