• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to WD #1 value?!?!
3 3

160 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, oakman29 said:

You guys are funny. Walking Dead isnt going anywhere.

+1

There are so many books that are due a correction over time and this is one of them. It doesn't mean that the good bits of TWD are now suddenly errr... well, bad. It has been at the yardstick of the modern hype machine / age of the comic book adaptation that everything else seems to get measured by so everyone that can squeeze money out of it or push prices up and up have been happily doing so. When that slows down it has got to find a normal level.

Is anyone buying close to FMV to speculate on this book any more? Is it always available?

I still enjoy the comic but the TV show after Season 5 has been getting worse to the point where it is actually annoying to watch. I am sure this will likely cause some people to give up on the comic... and they will probably be the same ones that have nostalgia for #1 -#48 years down the line.

I am sure anyone that has hoarded a load of them will already have their own idea as to what to do with them (and probably a better one than I can think of). It does look like selling and buying back a little later isn't a bad gamble right now though. It doesn't matter if you love it, hate it or aren't involved and only care about other comics... what TWD has done and still is doing is still worth knowing about. It has had a massive impact on all areas of the hobby and there are plenty of lessons to be learned from it along the way. Some that have been seen before, others that haven't. It's going to be a long long time before it is forgotten.

Edited by Garf

The show and comic both suffer from the same thing..at least for me. Negan. Up until Negan came around, Rick was a not so prototypical hero. He was vulnerable but he always ended up winning despite the setbacks he and his group faced. Then came Negan. Negan kills the Glenn and without Glenn in the beginning, Rick's story would have been a short one. So Rick starts off getting his butt kicked by the big bad as per usual but this time ? This time he keeps losing and in my mind, Negan still being alive means he lost completely. This time he let his friend be murdered and did squat. Yeah, the same Rick who kills everything that stands in his way decides this is the guy he is going to save ? What ? Yep. I've not enjoyed the book since they made a jail for Negan. Negan was/is despicable and he drags both the show and comic down. Everyone left looks weak. 

All of that said, I believe TWD #1 is a book worth owning indefinitel. It certainly outperformed every expectation I had for it when it was new and I bought as many of them as I could find when it came out. Great issue ??

2 hours ago, the authority said:

I've not enjoyed the book since they made a jail for Negan. Negan was/is despicable and he drags both the show and comic down. Everyone left looks weak.

... or maybe you end up missing out on the the bit that gets interesting.

I don't think that Kirkman is ever going to find himself in a win/win situation but he has to write himself out of doing the same story over and over again. It's already been told three times now??? Personaly I think I'd prefer to find out if I can get along with the idea of everything flipping and being a struggle for different reasons for a while, rather than going through a fourth helping whilst desparately trying to shove popcorn in my face and seeing who has ripened enough to be put through the murder machine. We have had citizens struggling to become Mad Max... what happens when Mad Max struggles to become a citizen? What happens when Ash has to start working at S-Mart again? I dunno... at least let us see something kinda new before dragging it back to what most of us came here for in the first place ;)

... not to hijack the thread too much, what you are saying though does go to demonstrate that even for fans the interest is getting less over time but not fading entirely.

Edited by Garf

On 5/14/2018 at 10:01 AM, F For Fake said:

IF WD 1 drops to half price, I'll pick one up, for sure. The show may be sputtering out, and I'm sure we've long since seen the peak of the show's popularity, but that book is still ridiculously low-printed compared to current, and I'd say future, demand. Only, what, 7000 of them to go around? Even if the show is canceled, and fandom continues to taper off, that whole property was an honest to goodness cultural phenomenon. Things that are that popular don't just disappear forever. There will always be demand for the book, as the #1 key of the modern age. It may drop quite a bit, but it will never go away. WD 1 isn't a flash in the pan like Sixth Gun or whatever. That book is legit.

Yep, it's like a low print run copper key that happened to come out in the modern age.

I can see WD #1 being a 1k book after the show is over. Pretty low print run and it is really a good read up to the first 100 issues or so. As for me I quit watching last season, the show has just been terrible. Still enjoying the comic.

Edited by FutureFlash

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

If the Walking Dead 1 in a 9.8 is ever selling for "$1,000", then every other modern key will also be selling for less than half their current prices as well.   :eyeroll:

-J.

Like what modern key?  If the Venom movie sucks then I'd definitely expect a large correction.  And Spider-man 300 have a lot going for it being a classic cover, McFarlane and a Spidey issue.  What does Walking Dead going for it if you take the show away?  Low print run and an ok cover of a cancelled show.  Fans of the show wont let it completely cash but a 30-50% correction would definitely occur if the show gets cancelled. 

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

If the Walking Dead 1 in a 9.8 is ever selling for "$1,000", then every other modern key will also be selling for less than half their current prices as well.   :eyeroll:

-J.

Why would other modern keys be affected? There should be a correction with TWD as the TV show winds down and eventually the comic series as well. It will not happen for a while, but once the property is "dead" the book will correct even more. FWIW, it likely would never have hit the $2K mark without it. 

Edited by kimik

1 minute ago, kimik said:

Why would other modern keys be affected? There should be a correction with TWD as the TV show winds down and eventually the comic series as well. It will not happen for a while, but once the property is "dead" the book will correct even more than it will due to a drop in interest in the TV show. FWIW, it likely would never have hit the $2K mark without it. 

Before the TV series, the Walking Dead comic wasn't nearly as popular as other recent Image titles like Saga.  Since there's no 3rd print variant (Saga #1 "RRP") equivalent for Walking Dead #1, it's likely that Walking Dead #1 would be slightly more valuable than Saga #1 (first printing) and possibly below Invincible #1, which is older than Walking Dead #1 and also a well-loved Kirkman series.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Like what modern key?  If the Venom movie sucks then I'd definitely expect a large correction.  And Spider-man 300 have a lot going for it being a classic cover, McFarlane and a Spidey issue.  What does Walking Dead going for it if you take the show away?  Low print run and an ok cover of a cancelled show.  Fans of the show wont let it completely cash but a 30-50% correction would definitely occur if the show gets cancelled. 

A legitimate case could be made that Walking Dead 1 represents the real start of the "Modern Age".

Walking Dead is still a top ten selling title after 15 years.  

Walking Dead is Image's top selling title, month in and month out.

Walking Dead is a legitimate "run" title. 

As Image's best selling title for the last what, ten years straight, it has helped titles like Saga, Seven to Eternity, etc. be possible.  

It is a household name at this point. You can say "well it's because of the show blah blah blah".  Well without the comic there would have been no show.  

As I've already stated, Kirkman has the title mapped out for years after the show is done.  

And even if/when the comic ends, it is not likely the franchise will ever be completely abandoned.  And even if it was, there are plenty of series that hsve ended that still sell well and grow in value.  If you'e worried about that, how do you feel about, say, Saga, which will be lucky to get to 100 issues over the next 20 years at this rate lol, and won't have multiple TV shows that lasted ten+ seasons.  

WD is a bona fide multimedia phenomenon.  TV shows, video games, funkos, comic books, syndication, a movie at some point is inevitable.  These things will not disappear into a black hole simply because the show ends (whenever that will be, it has at least two more seasons coming up). 

As a (or "the") tent pole book of the Modern Age, if it goes down it's because everything else went down.  Similar to what would happen to every other SA key if AF 15 had a severe and protracted price correction or the BA if Hulk 181 ever did.  

That must about covers it.  But I'm sure I could come up with even more reasons if I thought about it a little more. 

-J.

10 hours ago, FutureFlash said:

I can see WD #1 being a 1k book after the show is over.

I strongly disagree. Barring catastrophe, the comic will never see 1K again.