• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to WD #1 value?!?!
3 3

160 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rogue14 said:

Say what now? Movie! This would be amazing!!

Why would they make a movie?  They can stretch out a movie worth of action into 3 seasons worth of the Talking Dead show.

On 5/13/2018 at 7:09 PM, miraclemet said:
On 5/13/2018 at 6:46 PM, 500Club said:

There are historical precedents for what you are seeing.

After Marvel overused the Punisher in the 90s, ASM 129 was soft for several years.  Often, these serve as good entry points.

The difference possibly being that once the show is done, is there a reasonable revival? Punisher had his comeback, and then haste bump from the Netflix show. 

It's only a good entry point if there's a future revival...but some things just stay dead

It’s a good argument... IF a future revival is needed.  I’m going to argue that WD has enough of a significance and place in the hobby alone, to ensure that WD 1 will remain a key book.  At a print run of 7000, you’re looking at a fraction of the supply of other key books that the hobby pays significant money for.

Personally, I’m hoping for a significant slump in prices, so I can take advantage.

4 hours ago, jason4 said:

I don’t think this is the normal price drop between seasons. The comics are WAY down in all grades especially lower than 9.8. 

I think it has everything to do with people starting to really dislike the show and the continuing decline in viewers. Lowest ratings since season 2. From wiki:

C086D76C-3699-438B-935D-BF00B9D1F5C9.pngI

ps I miss th governor. Even tho he wasn’t as cool as comic governor, he increased viewership and a lot of people talked about the show when he was around moreso than negan.

That chart is probably a good estimate for the WD #1 prices after the show ends, since the only people in that chart were "WD owners" already, because they have significant time invested in WD.  The decline in the chart is a decline in sustaining the time investment by WD fans vs other options for their time.  That chart is not reflecting anything at all about the general public. It's WD fans who are leaving. 

The same will happen when the show is over for those WD fans who have significant money invested in the book because they will decline to sustain their investment over other options for their money.

The price won't collapse. It will do just what the viewer chart shows.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, Kevin... said:

I, along with many collectors, have considered WD 1 one of the most solid rock solid moderns out there for several years...but over the last year or so have just seen some disturbing trends, NM copies are down nearly 20%. IMO the show has just lost it's edge, is it tied to the show that closely? Time to liquidate or buy now?

Thoughts...

Depends on how much you have invested in it. If you have a relatively low basis, then hold onto it. If you have a relatively high basis in it, then cash out while you can. I think the bottom is going to drop out of that book for a few years. Might come back up later.

21 hours ago, I like pie said:

Yep. $3200 is pretty fishy considering there were copies on ebay for $700 less at the time.

The only thing that is different is that it has the TWD label. Of course that is $5 more than a regular label, so that explains the $700 markup.

8 minutes ago, I like pie said:

You forgot to post the $2300 and $2400 sales for a 9.8 in the last couple days:grin:

:gossip: Jaydog selling to himself to keep it on life support.:baiting:

On 5/20/2018 at 11:57 AM, 1Cool said:

Why would they make a movie?  They can stretch out a movie worth of action into 3 seasons worth of the Talking Dead show.

Zombie movies are great! Horror and sci-fi all the way. Nothing like the fear of going outside and being eaten. lol

5 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Zombie movies are great! Horror and sci-fi all the way. Nothing like the fear of going outside and being eaten. lol

I preferred the fear of taking a bath after watching Jaws. :blush:

6 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

No way... Zombie Sharks is prime SyFy channel original movie material, How many Sharknado movies did they make?

Are you telling me there's prior art? hm