• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ginger. She's red hot.

26 posts in this topic

What the hell?  I saw this lot and thought easily I would be able to get it at maybe 1k max.  The 4 is the book to have and it's tucked away behind the other copies.  But this much heat, wow.

And for lols: "Approximate Overstreet value for group = $275" :roflmao: 

Well at least I can quietly collect Katy Keene on the cheap.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/ginger-group-of-5-archie-1951-54-condition-average-fn-vf-total-5-comic-books-/a/121819-12353.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

It's funny how on their home page at the top it states "125+ World-Class Experts in 40 Categories"

They seem to only know the obvious key items. I wonder how many consignors get burnt because of blunders like this?

3 hours ago, atomised said:

What the hell?  I saw this lot and thought easily I would be able to get it at maybe 1k max.  The 4 is the book to have and it's tucked away behind the other copies.  But this much heat, wow.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/ginger-group-of-5-archie-1951-54-condition-average-fn-vf-total-5-comic-books-/a/121819-12353.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

Interesting math HA was using to get the average grade of F/VF for the lot... lets see, Issue #1 was a 4.5, issues 2,4, and 6 were 5.0s....guess that means the issue 8 was graded as a 15.5 to get the average of 7.0 for the lot....

Sure hope whoever paid $5,700 for this lot was paying attention to that gross mistake on their part.

I wasn't really sure if the mistake in the description was in stating the average grade at FN/VF  which should have been VG/FN or if the mistake was in calling books 2,4,6 VG/FN and they were supposed to be labeled FN/VF. They look better than VG/FN to me in the high res scan but who knows. I thought I might be able to pick them up for $500-$600. :roflmao:

Ken

19 hours ago, atomised said:

I know what you mean. I put in a "crazy" bid of 2k and thought I had a chance.:roflmao:

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

.......Wonder if the #4 ( or any other GGA Teen book cover) will be the 'next' Cindy 37 or Archie 50..hm

I think it's starting to do that.  Not sure how high the price might go though.  It's pretty scarce to begin with and even more so in higher grades.  Plus it's from the Archie era when the cover inks can oxidize easily so the colors can degrade pretty badly if the book had been stored under unfavorable conditions.  Red inks are the worst.

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Ginger 4 is a book I believed in for the last couple years. Had 4 of them at one time. None now :S. This was my best copy (shown here with permission from current owner who does not post pics)

IMG_8976.JPG

The Ginger books are nice, but I don't see issue 4 as being the best of them ... or am I missing something? hm

20 hours ago, lhcomics said:

It's funny how on their home page at the top it states "125+ World-Class Experts in 40 Categories"

They seem to only know the obvious key items. I wonder how many consignors get burnt because of blunders like this?

They're pretty receptive to input from consignors about anything that might be distinctive about the book.  But if the consignor also doesn't realize that a book is hot .... 

3 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I See it as more the Archie 53 than the 50, but I still like it. 

96452C26-EECC-4FFE-BABD-BE33F9A076D6.jpeg

Yes, this is the cover it reminds me of.  But Archie 53 is only just lukewarm, I think. 

14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The Ginger books are nice, but I don't see issue 4 as being the best of them ... or am I missing something? hm

I'm with you; gimme #1 all day. 

That's the trouble with "best" covers. It's highly subjective. I personally prefer Tec 29 to 31, and Cap 7 to 3.     2c