• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby Signature I just bought?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Sorry posted this on another thread, new to this site. Just bought Jack Kirby signature that was part of a pin set on Ebay. There are several more listed, you can find them searching Jack Kirby Signature Collection Pin set. Questions I have about it are does $100-$150 seem too low to be authentic and it states this collection is from 1995, year after he passed. Thoughts on if these are legit or not?

s-l1600.jpg

if one wanted to forge some Kirby sigs for profit, it would make more sense to forge sigs on comics, not go through the trouble of making these pins and these sets and number them and likely have to sell them retail or through a distributor, and probably deal with licensing and stuff.   Not that they (or someone) didn't profit on these initially, I'm sure they did.  Just with so many out there now from various sellers in various places, the odds are its not some huge conspiracy, and odds are also decent that if people suspected fakery, it would be out there on the internet by now with how commonly these are available.  If you think the price is somewhat low, its probably because of the availability.  there seem to be plenty on the bay.

If this item was made in 1995 then I don't know how Jack could have signed it.  As well from what I understand, his wife was signing quite a bit on his behalf - that might be her signing his name...

40 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

If this item was made in 1995 then I don't know how Jack could have signed it.  As well from what I understand, his wife was signing quite a bit on his behalf - that might be her signing his name...

its only a year after he passed, there's no telling when the items were actually printed.  The project may have been in the works for a while before distribution.  Or yes, they could possibly be his wife or something. 

46 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

That's my fear, but the fact that these are numbered and somewhat official looking my guess (hope) is that these were signed under supervision and packaged after his passing. Anyone on here have any kirby art or signatures?

Edited by Blastaar

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, Blastaar said:

That's my fear, but the fact that these are numbered and somewhat official looking my guess (hope) is that these were signed under supervision and packaged after his passing. Anyone on here have any kirby art or signatures?

google bro. also the one you have looks pretty good IMO.  There wasn't CGC at the time so the one you have is more 'official' than a lot of other stuff you'll see on the net. 

The thing is, these are common enough that you're not going to make money selling it.  But if you were so worried, you probably shouldn't have bought it initially.  Either way, you own it now, and there's no way you'll ever know for sure.  So just enjoy it, you MUST be a Kirby fan.  its pretty cool if you're a Kirby fan, and I don't have any problem believing it's real. 

1 hour ago, revat said:

google bro. also the one you have looks pretty good IMO.  There wasn't CGC at the time so the one you have is more 'official' than a lot of other stuff you'll see on the net. 

The thing is, these are common enough that you're not going to make money selling it.  But if you were so worried, you probably shouldn't have bought it initially.  Either way, you own it now, and there's no way you'll ever know for sure.  So just enjoy it, you MUST be a Kirby fan.  its pretty cool if you're a Kirby fan, and I don't have any problem believing it's real. 

Yep big fan, just wanted to get something legit. Next stop is finding original pencil that won't break the bank.

On 5/15/2018 at 2:04 PM, revat said:

"Believing" and "knowing" are two completely different things - I'd want to KNOW and you're right - we'll never know.  With all of the shenanigans involving Jack near the end of his career, I wouldn't trust it...

Edited by pemart1966

11 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

"Believing" and "knowing" are two completely different things - I'd want to KNOW and you're right - we'll never know.  With all of the shenanigans involving Jack near the end of his career, I wouldn't trust it...

My point was that if it mattered that much you’d probably do the research ahead of buying.  Once you buy it, you might as well enjoy it

Well, I was curious about the signature and reached out to Kirby's grandson to get his take on the piece. He said they are legit and he remembered fondly how he had a set. So anyone looking for a Kirby signature can rest well that these are a good way to own an affordable piece of comic history!

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

There are fake dynamic forces kirby books that were signed by his wife.   

By the late 1980s, a typical Kirby signature was very tremulous, halted and showed significant signs of infirmity and degradation. There was a hard right leaning slant. 

In the 1990s, thousands of smoothly signed "Jack KIrby" signatures began appearing in limited edition hardcover books, pin sets, trading cards, comics, 50th anniversary Captain America prints, etc. In addition to the miraculous rejuvenation of his signature, these new 1990s "Jack Kirby" signatures vary from verified exemplars in formation, proportion and slant. There are a number of well-versed people who believe someone else was signing for Jack Kirby during this period. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Zipper said:

I am sorry to say that I do not believe this is an authentic Jack Kirby signature. 

Personally, I would not want any post 1990 "Jack Kirby" signed items in my collection.

So don't take his grandson for his word? I have heard both sides. Those who are Kirby enthusiast that say after 90 they are fake and I have also talked to those that had handed him items to be signed after 90 that have strong signatures.

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

So don't take his grandson for his word?

In addition to comics, I have collected autographs for over 25 years.

What I can tell you from experience is this: the family, the secretary, the business manager … whoever it is, they never admit it. I have yet to see a secretarial/proxy signer who has publicly stated so. Yet the reference books are full of secretarial examples of everything from presidents to movie stars to business executives, etc. 

This is not intended as disrespect to the family, it’s just the way it is. And, how would the grandson know one way or another? Was he with them to witness everything 24/7?

Anyway, I’m providing an unbiased opinion based on my experience and observations in the hobby. It’s not like I’m trying to rain on your parade, but quite honestly, I hate to see people seeing the comments from the grandson and taking it to the bank and buying these things. I think there’s enough reasonable  doubt that people should proceed with caution.

There is a video on YouTube that discuss this matter in detail, particularly regarding the dynamic forces signed books. Because the video involves  CGC’s competition, I didn’t think it appropriate to post a link. But if you want to search for it, it’s there.