Kirby Signature I just bought?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

126 posts
51 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

In addition to comics, I have collected autographs for over 25 years.

What I can tell you from experience is this: the family, the secretary, the business manager … whoever it is, they never admit it. I have yet to see a secretarial/proxy signer who has publicly stated so. Yet the reference books are full of secretarial examples of everything from presidents to movie stars to business executives, etc. 

This is not intended as disrespect to the family, it’s just the way it is. And, how would the grandson know one way or another? Was he with them to witness everything 24/7?

Anyway, I’m providing an unbiased opinion based on my experience and observations in the hobby. It’s not like I’m trying to rain on your parade, but quite honestly, I hate to see people seeing the comments from the grandson and taking it to the bank and buying these things. I think there’s enough reasonable  doubt that people should proceed with caution.

There is a video on YouTube that discuss this matter in detail, particularly regarding the dynamic forces signed books. Because the video involves  CGC’s competition, I didn’t think it appropriate to post a link. But if you want to search for it, it’s there.

 

It's always good to be educated. Insight is always appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,238 posts
Posted (edited)

i have read that 40% of sports related autographs are forgeries,. this even includes the signatures of prolific signers like Mantle and Rose

if someone is forging and selling signatures of famous people known to have tens of thousands of legit signatures then one can imagine that the percentage

of forged signatures from those whose signature is rarer would be incredibly high 2c

Edited by 1950's war comics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,962 posts

Back in the 90s, I purchased  Captain America 50th anniversary signed prints. I also purchased the Dynamic Forces signed X-Men 1 and Fantastic Four 1 and spent hundreds of dollars adding Stan Lee through CGC SS.

Like everyone else at the time, I  believed these pieces to be authentic based upon the reputations of the companies that were distributing them and the claims of them being signed under supervision.

But after doing the analysis,  research and networking with others, regrettably, I’ve lost confidence in these pieces.  I have to follow the evidence, not what I want to be.

It has been a bitter pill to swallow. 

:foryou:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,174 posts
12 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i have read that 40% of sports related autographs are forgeries,. this even includes the signatures of prolific signers like Mantle and Rose

if someone is forging and selling signatures of famous people known to have tens of thousands of legit signatures then one can imagine that the percentage

of forged signatures from those whose signature is rarer would be incredibly high 2c

Over 90% according to Operation Bullpen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
262 posts
On 7/17/2018 at 8:27 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Back in the 90s, I purchased  Captain America 50th anniversary signed prints. I also purchased the Dynamic Forces signed X-Men 1 and Fantastic Four 1 and spent hundreds of dollars adding Stan Lee through CGC SS.

Like everyone else at the time, I  believed these pieces to be authentic based upon the reputations of the companies that were distributing them and the claims of them being signed under supervision.

But after doing the analysis,  research and networking with others, regrettably, I’ve lost confidence in these pieces.  I have to follow the evidence, not what I want to be.

It has been a bitter pill to swallow. 

:foryou:

What has caused you to lose confidence in the Dynamic Forces signatures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,962 posts
1 hour ago, CardiacKid1 said:

What has caused you to lose confidence in the Dynamic Forces signatures?

In this post I outline some of the concerns.

In summary, they have failed credible professional authentication and there are substantive differences from verified authentic exemplars in my opinion. There is much discussion on this on the chat board for the distinguished competition and videos on youtube. Out of respect for CGC, I don't think it's appropriate to post direct links, but the info is out there if you look for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
118 posts
Posted (edited)

Maybe just have an authenticator authenticate it and put all this nonsense to bed....those other companies that sound like DPX and BGBS might be able to do something for this piece.  Reach out to them and see what they say.  I've thought about picking up this piece also but i'm not 100% sure on the authenticity either.  It's a nice looking piece especially in that silver frame!

Edited by Eric C.
added last sentence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,962 posts
32 minutes ago, Eric C. said:

Maybe just have an authenticator authenticate it and put all this nonsense to bed....those other companies that sound like DPX and BGBS might be able to do something for this piece.  Reach out to them and see what they say.  I've thought about picking up this piece also but i'm not 100% sure on the authenticity either.  It's a nice looking piece especially in that silver frame!

"DPX" has zero credibility when it comes to signature authentication. They have a track record of certifying obvious and laughable fakes. 

The other company has credible authentication that at one time was led by David Roman of CSA Comics, who is a UACC approved authenticator. The pin sets have not passed authentication with them. To submit an item, contact David through his website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1