• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

...First Trip to a Comic Book Shop (1977)
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I guess it might have been around 1977 or 1978.  My access to purchase comics up to that point was pretty much limited to newsstands, spinner racks in convenience stores, and the late, great Robert Bell in Hauppauge, NY. One day a friend of mind showed me this great back issue of this one title (Don't remember exactly what that book was) and told me he got it from a "comic book store".  I was really amazed at the concept of a store entirely devoted to comics and just had to see this for myself.  Anyway, a few weeks later, we make the trip across the city via public transportation and I was introduced to Superhero Universe in Cambridge, MA.  My eyes just about popped out when I walked in and saw all the wall books and isles of comic bins. Must have spent hours in there every available weekend I could get away. They eventually openned up a couple of other stores in the next few years, including one in downtown Boston. Pretty much hooked after that and visited as many other shops as possible within my travel range.  My favorite was always the Million Year Picnic (also in Cambridge, MA).

Back to Superhero Universe, the owner of the store was a real sleazeball, but I didn't realize that until later. Back in '83 when I officially left comics, I sold my collection to him and the scumbag made every attempt to delay payment to me, despite me giving him a really great deal. I made so many damn visits to the Boston store to ask for my money, I wounded up getting hired to work the store. Always thought it was ironic that I'd wind up working in a comic shop as soon as I gave up comics. Bob Layton used to stop by the store every now and then as he was living in Boston at the time. I remember one of my female co-workers really wanting to get into his pants every time he stepped into the store.  I guess Bob was a real rock star in those days.  Anyway, I stayed there for almost 2 years before hanging it up and left for the Marines.  SU chain went belly up a just a few years later, which didn't surprise me. The Million Year Picnic is still operating to this day. 

Edited by Brian48

My first trip to a comic store was in 1981 to the Aquarius Bookstore on 4th and Wilshire in Santa Monica, CA. I purchased a TTA #83 which I still have to this day for $3.25. Amazing that I remember the price (and still have the comic). Then it was off to the races......

Edited by Kramerica
Grammar correction

6 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

a few years later(probably 1977) i sold my Howard the Duck #1 for $20.00 and bought some smoke , i also sold my X-men #94 for $20,00 ... that was a lot of money back then when minimum wage was $2.10

My first ever trade was an older kid ripping me off. He got my $10 Howard The Duck #1, I got his 50 cent FF #90. 

I still run into the guy (appropriately named Rob), we both still love comics, and we still laugh about that deal!

Edited by KirbyJack

14 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

My first ever trade was an older kid ripping me off. He got my $10 Howard The Duck #1, I got his 50 cent FF #90.

Since I spent my allowance on chocolate milk, I had almost no spare change for a 20c new comic. My first trade was to my buddy in grade 2 that took place in neutral territory: school playground. Gave up my ASM # 121, as I disliked Spidey/Peter Parker, straight across for a nice Capt America 111 for Steranko goodness. Hindsight, not a good trade in terms of book value but I was such :golfclap: an art snob at 7 years old !

First trip to a real comic book shop was in 1983, The Green Dragon in North Charleston.  Had never seen anything like it. Great looking comics going way back to the 40's.  Now, our local Book Exchanges always had a comic section. Some better than most. The one nearest to me, in Summerville, had a whole back room devoted to comics. On the wall there were Dell 4 Colors, numerous X-Men, Hulk, etc. Loved that place. Still have many comics remaining from there bought with gift certs or Mom & Dad's $$ back in the day.  These were bought in 1982(among others), and remain with me to this day:  

cap-110

cap-137

cap-162

cap-215

cap-218

Edited by PinkRoseCollection

My first trip to a comic shop was back in 1978.  My dad took me and my sister to see Animal House.  After the movie I saw my first comic shop right next door to the theater, Mike's Comic Hut in Flushing, Queens, and talked my dad to going in.  He bought me an Iron Man #3 for $5.00.  It was the oldest comic I owned at that point in time.  Still have it to this day.

On 5/26/2018 at 3:07 PM, PinkRoseCollection said:

First trip to a real comic book shop was in 1983, The Green Dragon in North Charleston.  Had never seen anything like it. Great looking comics going way back to the 40's.  Now, our local Book Exchanges always had a comic section. Some better than most. The one nearest to me, in Summerville, had a whole back room devoted to comics. On the wall there were Dell 4 Colors, numerous X-Men, Hulk, etc. Loved that place. Still have many comics remaining from there bought with gift certs or Mom & Dad's $$ back in the day.  These were bought in 1982(among others), and remain with me to this day:  

cap-110

cap-137

cap-162

cap-215

cap-218

When I moved to Summerville in 1988 for my first "real job", I quickly found The Green Dragon.  Great store.  First time I saw the Comics Buyer's Guide (and read it religiously until they stopped publishing).  Also, picked up Stephen King's Dark Tower Signed/Limited #238 for both the Drawing of the Three and the Wastelands at list price!  Wished I still had those.  Nice books by the way in the pics.  Paul~

Edited by picon3
changed text