• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do you handle the question, "How much is this comic worth?" from flippers?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

an example of what i mean:

Comics are worth millions these days. Everyone know this. With the endless success of MCU and DC movies those of us who have loved the medium for the story/pictures/history for years know that if you stumble upon some comics in your garage, you are holding thousands and thousands of dollars in your hands. The riches are endless. Also with the success of "reality" shows such as Storage Wars and like all of us know that if you just show up to a storage locker auction and bid, whatever is inside is worth thousands. No work is involved. Especially comics. You just have to find out from "someone into comics" how many thousands and thousands they're worth. 

So I have found on many occasions, I am that person who is "into comics" so coworkers and friends of friends and  such send their friends to me to find out "how much these comics are worth?" and how best to find the person that's going to throw huge money at them for their comics. In other words, let me do the work for them.

Up until now I have handled it as the nice guy I am: I attempt to tell the truth. Comics are best when enjoyed for the story and art and their worth is directly proportional to that. Most comics are only worth that and nothing else. At about the 75 second mark in my response I notice the eyes in the person I'm talking to begin to dim and eventually go vacant. This is not what they want to hear and therefore I am not speaking the truth. Comics are worth thousands and are a gold mine and I'm suspect because, even though I have collected and appreciated comics for 40 years, I'm not telling them what they want to hear.

So, how to proceed? Being a nice guy and taking my time to tell people the truth is not working so I'm wondering what to do.  Perhaps?:

"I don't know! Don't collect comics anymore"

Hide from people. Most ALL people?

or ???

because as I say, taking my TIME to tell people THE TRUTH is not working and I'm tired of it.

there is a guy at my work who spends all his time on these "give-away" sites on the internet. I forget the names of 'em. "Come pick this s*it up and it's yours free" kinda sites. He's one of the worst offenders. He's been showing off forever this antiques wood work box THAT IS A BROKEN DOWN PIECE OF S*IT that he hauled away for free that is "worth money." The other day he rented a truck to pick up A PALLET OF BASEBALL CARDS that he was told by the guy who's giving it away that "IT'S BEEN PRETTY WELL PICKED OVER" but somehow it's gonna net him a profit. His garage is running out of room, etc.

It's all so embarrassingly goofy nowadays. Like in the early 90s with the Death of Superman when folks were standing outside the comic book store getting one to "pay for their kid's college education." Hell, I remember flipping through the channels and seeing the Death of Superman comic being sold on THE HOME SHOPPER'S CLUB NETWORK and listening the the inane BullS*t of the hosts on the show, "It's gonna be worth as much as Action Comics #1.

Look, I'm not exactly a people person, but HOW oh HOW can everybody be so fu*cking dumb?

"How much is this comic worth" from flippers?

It will be worth double after you press it, the movie or Netflix series comes out, or 'it is supa-hot on eBay, so I am giving you a deal' on that X-force #1 virgin still in poly for $10 each sealed Premiere Collector's Item ! Hey, Rob Liefeld is only charging $40 to sign this hot book that is so hot that Marvel reissued it as a $1 key issue.

I agree, I'd just tell them to check sold/completed listings on ebay.... add completed, that way they think you thought about the answer..... 

Oh and by the way, you could ask them how much this comic is worth....

MV5BMjQxMjgxNTkwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTA4

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree, I'd just tell them to check sold/completed listings on ebay.... add completed, that way they think you thought about the answer..... 

Oh and by the way, you could ask them how much this comic is worth....

MV5BMjQxMjgxNTkwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTA4

I don't understand. You mean head 'em off at the pass as in when I see them stumbling towards me mouth agape with their phone in their hand with a picture of a comic on it ask them "HEY! HOW MUCH IS THAT COMIC WORTH?!" before they ask me?

It's bad over here for me guys. 

I've gone over the edge and I'm not sure I'm coming back. 

Edited by NoMan

I've been that guy a few times.  I've seen the look in the eyes narrow with suspicion and anger.  BUT THIS IS CONAN NUMBER TWO!  Yes its Conan number 2 of like the 5th version of the Conan comic and anyway the actual original Conan #2 is worth like 20 bucks.  They just never believe it.  Best thing to say is I dont give valuation estimates for comics because people always get angry at me.

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd just say ya I collect, but I'm not familiar enough with that one.... sure is neat though, congrats on the find :)

yeah, ok. you're obviously a nicer human than me. I can't anymore you guys. I can't. 

19 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Up until now I have handled it as the nice guy I am: I attempt to tell the truth. Comics are best when enjoyed for the story and art and their worth is directly proportional to that. Most comics are only worth that and nothing else. At about the 75 second mark in my response I notice the eyes in the person I'm talking to begin to dim and eventually go vacant. This is not what they want to hear and therefore I am not speaking the truth. Comics are worth thousands and are a gold mine and I'm suspect because, even though I have collected and appreciated comics for 40 years, I'm not telling them what they want to hear

While I totally empathize with your situation, I think you may be going about the answer the wrong way given the audience. You're giving them the deep-down, "meaning-of-life" type insight and truth (bolded above) that's appropriate for us who love comics as a medium. I would say something like:

- Look, unfortunately the reality is that the vast majority of even old comic books are "worthless" (monetarily)
- The only books that tend to have (monetary) value are key issues (usually first appearances of characters - yes, there's more to it than this but this is the easiest to explain to a newbie)
- A book's value is tied hugely to its condition - the higher grade books can be multiples of lower-grade / mid-grade books
- If you want a quick and easy gauge, take a look at Ebay sold listings (and show them how to use it), noting that just searching Ebay will bring up tons of books for sale that are at unreasonable prices (I usually will note that any book that's priced fairly typically gets snatched up quickly. If it's still available, it's because it's priced higher than FMV)

Even after all that, they still might not like it, because they only want to believe their books are worth thousands as you say. But hopefully if they're somewhat reasonable / rationale, this can start them down the path of getting out of their fantasy

Just now, kav said:

I've been that guy a few times.  I've seen the look in the eyes narrow with suspicion and anger.  BUT THIS IS CONAN NUMBER TWO!  Yes its Conan number 2 of like the 5th version of the Conan comic and anyway the actual original Conan #2 is worth like 20 bucks.  They just never believe it.  Best thing to say is I dont give valuation estimates for comics because people always get angry at me.

good idea. another hobby of mine is photography and people ask me to "do their weddings" and I've found that if I tell people I would but you'd be mad at me seems to work.

1 minute ago, NoMan said:
4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd just say ya I collect, but I'm not familiar enough with that one.... sure is neat though, congrats on the find :)

yeah, ok. you're obviously a nicer human than me. I can't anymore you guys. I can't. 

:roflmao:that made my day lol :foryou:

I usually say something to the effect of "I don't know, I don't collect those titles" or "I don't concern myself with the value, I just read the stories".

I then refer them to LCS #1 and LCS#2

NoMan, you’ve put into words something I’ve experienced several times. Please don’t poof the thread! I think we all get that you’re in vent mode.

I think this is a very valid topic.

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

good idea. another hobby of mine is photography and people ask me to "do their weddings" and I've found that if I tell people I would but you'd be mad at me seems to work.

I tell people that want to 'hire' me for an 'art job' that I do not draw for money, no matter how much is offered.  This usually flabbergasts them.  I thought all artists were looking for work!! Work yes, time wasting hours long sessions that always (And I mean always) end up going nowhere-no.