• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do you handle the question, "How much is this comic worth?" from flippers?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I remember when you could hit "view all" to see all the responses on one page.  I can't do that anymore so I am too lazy to click next page... 

$3.50

Seriously... I may be the only one who gets what I said but I smile when saying it. 

tree fiddy

I tell him they're worth millions.  Lookup any LCS in the phone book.  They'll willingly pay through the nose for it.  Go in with a tough attitude and don't fall for any of their lying, low-ball offers. 

Edited by Brian48

9 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

I tell him they're worth millions.  Lookup any LCS in the phone book.  They'll willingly pay through the nose for it.  Go in with a tough attitude and don't fall for any of their lying, low-ball offers. 

Tell him comic shop owners will act like theyre not interested but will watch you and take down your license # so they can track you down, and steal the books!!  Say the more uninterested they act, the more they want the books!!!

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Tell him comic shop owners will act like theyre not interested but will watch you and take down your license # so they can track you down, and steal the books!!  Say the more uninterested they act, the more they want the books!!!

I think that is now officially 8 different methods you have suggested. Make up your mind.:makepoint:

FTR, I would go with the surprised OMG and go running down the street screaming one. :banana:

Say "OMG this book is worth a LOT" then 'accidentally' rip the cover off and say "Oh wait this particular issue isnt really worth that much-".

Edited by kav

30 minutes ago, kav said:

Say "OMG this book is worth a LOT" then 'accidentally' rip the cover off and say "Oh wait this particular issue isnt really worth that much-".

lol Yep, the OMG is REQUIRED, or it is a system fail.

Say wow ok-these books are really something-I will charge you $100 beforehand to valuate them but they are sure to be worth 100 times that-then get the money, look em over and say 'nah-ya got nothing here' and leave.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Say wow ok-these books are really something-I will charge you $100 beforehand to valuate them but they are sure to be worth 100 times that-then get the money, look em over and say 'nah-ya got nothing here' and leave.

Take the stack, and when he's not looking, slip in a copy of Action #1.  Then go thru them-make sure he sees the action #1.  Give him $10 for the worthless books.  Later when he finds out how much Action #1 is worth, he'll spend the rest of his life telling people how he was 'ripped off'.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Take the stack, and when he's not looking, slip in a copy of Action #1.  Then go thru them-make sure he sees the action #1.  Give him $10 for the worthless books.  Later when he finds out how much Action #1 is worth, he'll spend the rest of his life telling people how he was 'ripped off'.

I am not going to say it, and be accused of trolling/termiteing.

Krap, I can't resist.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I am not going to say it, and be accused of trolling/termiteing.

Krap, I can't resist.

Take the books, then say wait these books have termites!!!!!  Then start talking about global warming.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Take the books, then say wait these books have termites!!!!!  Then start talking about global warming.

lol Now that is the best one. I will also now stop counting. 

When someone says hey i know you know about comic books I just found some comics in my garage can ya tell me wut they're worth??
Say one moment please then come back with a contract that says as a comic collector you know what you are talking about regarding comic values, and can substantiate it with online sales.  The contract states that by asking your opinion, they are deferring to your expertise and after you give your analysis there will be no demonstrations of anger or disbelief or comments about your character, otherwise a sum of $100 must be paid, which must be handed over beforehand, and only returned when the conditions are met.  Have them sign contract and return with notarized contract, then delve into the (worthless) books.

If someone says they have some comics and want to know what they're worth say "Are they in them plastic sleeve thingies?"  When they say yes!   Say ok those aren't worth anything.  This will nip in the bud their biggest bargaining chip in the quest for demanding that they be valuable.

16 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I sympathize.

-set up at a local comic show and have guys ask you questions about books you have on display to sell because they have a copy. They have no interest in buying what you have for sale, they just want to take up your time with questions and they are not going to sell their books to you.

"yes that CGC 9.8 copy is $300."

"Really? Wow, I have one." - of course, the copy they have is raw, and probably a VF 

I guess it depends if you are in the position of wanting to buy comics for resale. If you are, then you need to talk to these people and give them the brief honest truth. The reason? Yes you will tell 100 different people the honest truth and accomplish nothing but then the 101st guy has stuff you actually want, and he does sell it to you for your reasonable offer.

Had a guy come to our booth asking how much his Punisher #1 1987 was worth.  I told him it was worth $10 to $20.  He turned to his family and told them he had the first appearance of the Punisher and I was trying to rip him off.  I told him Amazing Spider-man 129 was the first appearance and pointed to a Punisher 1 1987 on my wall priced at $20.  He quietly left lol 

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Had a guy come to our booth asking how much his Punisher #1 1987 was worth.  I told him it was worth $10 to $20.  He turned to his family and told them he had the first appearance of the Punisher and I was trying to rip him off.  I told him Amazing Spider-man 129 was the first appearance and pointed to a Punisher 1 1987 on my wall priced at $20.  He quietly left lol 

YES!!  JUSTICE!!!

My LCS buddy had a family come in the store.  they wandered around a bit, the two year old was dragging a famous first editions action #1 on the floor she had brought in with her.  After a while dad comes up to counter, gets the book and asks him how much he would give for it.  My buddy said 'nothing'.  The guy became enraged that my buddy was trying to 'rip him off' and get the 'first superman comic' for 'cheap'.  My buddy stated that not only didn't he want it 'for cheap', he didn't want it at all.  The guy left, convinced that my buddy was 'trying to rip him off'.  No word on why he let his 2 year old drag around a book that he thought was worth a fortune....