• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan lee file copy?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

CGC says this is one of Stans. Is it a high demand book? NO. Is it high grade? NO Is it worth more than a similar grade copy? I think so.

I was very happy to snag it here on the boards a few years ago for quite a nice price. I jumped all over it because I see so very few of them.

comjourneymystery15stanleecopy.jpg

21 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

Thanks for posting this. I didn’t know he had such a background on LI, along with King Kirby. I’m just a little frustrated that I missed the engagement on the 20th at the Cinema Arts Center!!!! That must have been a great presentation. 

I knew he lived on LI from the late 40s on but I didn't know the exact dates and which houses, etc.   Knew he got an apartment in Manhattan in late 60s but didn't know he kept the place on LI until 1980.  I found the article interesting because of the hoops and backflips and pretzel logic people have used to try to say Stan must have "faked" a collection of books.  To believe that you had to believe all kinds of nefarious nonsense that went counter to logic, like the notion that he would not bother to "fake" a collection of easily obtainable nice condition copies of Spider-man, instead having hardly any spidey comics and plenty of Sgt. Fury, Millie the Model and a bound copy of "Bible Tales for Young Folk." 

With this newly clarified information -- that the house described in 1971 as one "he used to own on Long Island" (aka the place where his initial collection was destroyed) had been vacated in 1952, coupled with the fact that earliest books in the collection also happen to be from 1953, you would also have to believe that, in planning his huge "scam," Stan's typically bad memory was hitting on all cylinders the day of the big comic "con" and, remembering that he'd said his collection was destroyed at his old house sometime no later than 1952.  SO, as he instructed his nefarious criminal co-conspirators to go forth and assemble a fake collection which not only had no high grade book and hardly any spideys and no more than one of many of his best known creations but ample Millie the Models and a "Bible Tales" bound volume... and, then as his minions headed out the door to enact their evil plan to scam buyers, Stan admonished, "and no books before 1953!"  .  

Edited by bluechip