• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's DOOM PATROL on HBO Max

180 posts in this topic

'Doom Patrol' Series Coming to DC Universe Streaming Service

http://media.comicbook.com/2018/05/doom-patrol-1109442-640x320.jpeg

DC Universe, the streaming service from DC Entertainment, has ordered a 13-episode season of Doom Patrol, a new series spinning out of the network's Titans.

Even in a crowded field of pickups and cancellations, Doom Patrol is likely to get noticed: not only is it a spinoff from a series that has not yet premiered, but it is yet another series from Greg Berlanti, the super-producer whose shingle currently has more shows on TV than anyone in history.

According to Warner Bros Television, the Doom Patrol series "is a re-imagining of one of DC’s most beloved group of outcast Super Heroes: Robotman, Negative Man, Elasti-Girl and Crazy Jane, led by modern-day mad scientist Dr. Niles Caulder (The Chief). The Doom Patrol's members each suffered horrible accidents that gave them superhuman abilities — but also left them scarred and disfigured. Traumatized and downtrodden, the team found purpose through The Chief, who brought them together to investigate the weirdest phenomena in existence — and to protect Earth from what they find. Part support group, part Super Hero team, the Doom Patrol is a band of super-powered freaks who fight for a world that wants nothing to do with them. Picking up after the events of Titans, Doom Patrol will find these reluctant heroes in a place they never expected to be, called to action by none other than Cyborg, who comes to them with a mission hard to refuse, but with a warning that is hard to ignore: their lives will never, ever be the same."

Casting has not yet been officially announced, although it is likely safe to assume that the same actors who will play Doom Patrol on Titans will carry over. That would be Bruno Bichir as The Chief, Jake Michaels as Robotman, and April Bowlby as Elasti-Girl.

Justice League's Cyborg To Play a Role in 'Doom Patrol' TV Series

doom-patrol-cyborg-1109448-640x320.jpeg

When the Doom Patrol come to the DC Universe streaming service, they will be bringing at least one very familiar face with them: Cyborg, a member of the Justice League in the comics and the DC Extended Universe.

The character, who will also appear in Teen Titans Go To the Movies, will apparently provide an impetus for the Doom Patrol's initial mission, according to the series' official synopsis.

According to Warner Bros Television, the Doom Patrol series "is a re-imagining of one of DC’s most beloved group of outcast Super Heroes: Robotman, Negative Man, Elasti-Girl and Crazy Jane, led by modern-day mad scientist Dr. Niles Caulder (The Chief). The Doom Patrol's members each suffered horrible accidents that gave them superhuman abilities — but also left them scarred and disfigured. Traumatized and downtrodden, the team found purpose through The Chief, who brought them together to investigate the weirdest phenomena in existence — and to protect Earth from what they find. Part support group, part Super Hero team, the Doom Patrol is a band of super-powered freaks who fight for a world that wants nothing to do with them. Picking up after the events of Titans, Doom Patrol will find these reluctant heroes in a place they never expected to be, called to action by none other than Cyborg, who comes to them with a mission hard to refuse, but with a warning that is hard to ignore: their lives will never, ever be the same."

In the comics, Cyborg has a long history with the Teen Titans and Titans, leading fans to wonder whether the character might appear on the upcoming Titans TV show out of which Doom Patrol will spin off. There is no indication as yet that he will appear, or if he does that he will play a significant role.

Several weeks ago our friends over at That Hashtag Show revealed a casting call had gone out for the role of Cyborg in DC’s upcoming streaming series Doom Patrol. The role would require the actor to also be available for subsequent seasons on their other show Titans as a series regular. Now we at Omega Underground have discovered leaked audition tapes for the role of Cyborg/Victor Stone read by Roderick Lawrence (Back to Reality), Buom Tihngang (Diana and I) and Micheal Xavier (88, Bitten).

It should be noted over the weekend we at Omega Underground have learned that DC Television is not allowed to use Deathstroke in their upcoming shows since a feature film is in development. This could mean that DC Films has given up on developing the live action Cyborg film starring Ray Fisher (Justice League) all together. Which would allow the character to appear in their upcoming shows. Lastly, the audition tape scripts do drop some strong language which could indicate the upcoming streaming shows will be much more mature compare to their CW counterparts. However, that has yet to be confirmed.

:: Scene 1 ::

Cyborg – “Ask me how my day was? Dad”

Off-Screen Silas Stone – “What? This is foolishness let’s begin.”

Cyborg – “Why?! Nobody here but us. Nobody to see Doctor Silas Stone let his guard down just long enough to ask his son how his damn day was.”

Off-Screen Silas Stone -“What is it you think we do here?”

Cyborg – “Oh, I know what you do here. Me. All you do is me.”

Off-Screen Silas Stone -“That’s right. All I do here and all I think about is you. You are my every waking thought. My life’s purpose. But let’s chat about you hanging with your pals please?”

Cyborg – “Oh, you think I was hanging with my pals? Ok, which pals? My football pals? My academic decathlon pals? All my pals I’ve met since this! Who do you think I’m hanging with huh? Talking about what? At whose house? What movie we watching. Tell me one damn thing they’re gonna say to a freak like me that I can’t already see in their eyes? [Pause] I took a walk down by the landfill. It’s quiet there, nobody bothers me I guess I lost track of time. How is your day Dad?

:: Scene 2 ::

Cyborg – “Help me out here? How is this a choose?”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele – “There’s always a choice.”

Cyborg – “Somebody abducts your boss. The man who saved your life and you save his.”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele – “He’s not my boss”

Cyborg – “The Chief.”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“You don’t know what you don’t know.”

Cyborg – “His name is literally The Chief. Wait, your sweet on that woman.”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“Eat me.”

Cyborg – “That woman down the hall with the kids. Robotman’s got a crush!”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“Shut your :censored: hole.”

Cyborg – “Woah, back up there fella. Back. Up. You know I can help you with all this.”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“Pass.”

Cyborg – “Get the party started.”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“ :censored: me.”

Cyborg “You just said ‘You don’t know what you don’t know'”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“I was talking about you :censored:

Cyborg – “Ok, so you got a handle on the whole single mom thing then.”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“Mhm”

Cyborg – “A lot of land mines there brother.”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“Ok, bugging out. Let’s save The Chief.”

Cyborg – “Oh now?!”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“Now.”

Cyborg – “I don’t know Cliff. I’m feeling a little bit vulnerable.”

Off-Screen Cliff Steele -“Go.”

Cyborg – “After you Tin Man.”

On 1/11/2019 at 7:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

Lord, I hope this is good. Brendan Fraser at least as Robotman sounds interesting.

I have low expectations for a low-budget streaming show exclusive to DC's service...BUT...the fact that they're going with the Morrison-era looks for Robotman and Negative Man gives me hope that this will at least be INTERESTING. Morrison's DP is one of the most imaginative comic book runs of all time. I'd love to see it done justice.

10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I have low expectations for a low-budget streaming show exclusive to DC's service...BUT...the fact that they're going with the Morrison-era looks for Robotman and Negative Man gives me hope that this will at least be INTERESTING. Morrison's DP is one of the most imaginative comic book runs of all time. I'd love to see it done justice.

Looking forward to seeing Flex Mentallo, The Scissormen, and The Brotherhood of Dada.

Cautious about the low budget, though. hm

Edited by Ken Aldred

Worst characters in Titans.

And that's saying something.

Besides Gal Gadot, Heath Ledger and Christian Bale, DC has royally screwed up 95% of its offerings.

The whole Doom Patrol episode on Titans was appalling.

The first episode of Doom Patrol is easily one of the greatest pieces of comic book television ever made. The writing is nothing short of stellar and the cast deliver excellent performances, specifically Diane Guerrero (Crazy Jane) and Brendan Fraser (Robotman).

The show also excels at its dive into the psychological effects superpowers can have on someone. Negative Man deals with anxiety, Robotman deals with depression, and Jane deals with a dissociative identity disorder. Like it’s predecessor Titans, Doom Patrol is filled with tragedy and heartbreak, but it’s handled much better here. The characters have more depth and nothing feels forced, which helps make them a lot more relatable. Fraser’s Robotman is the heart of the series, with most of it told from his perspective. Robotman is used to open up the opportunities to find out the origins of the other characters as well, which all show that each of them have just as many flaws as they do strengths. The goal of this was obviously to show that these “heroes” aren’t necessarily the heroes we’re used to, but due to the many other superhero shows currently going on, it doesn’t come off like that. If it wasn’t for the many twists and turns, it would feel generic.

Overall, the first episode is a fantastic start to what is going to be an even better show and I can’t wait to watch more!