• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's DOOM PATROL on HBO Max

180 posts in this topic

I enjoyed the first episode but stopped there due to the fact that money is required. I hope to have some time after next week and will consider the free 7 day trial to binge a few. My older daughter watched it with me and we both enjoyed it. The nudity screams "we are an adult show" but was otherwise unnecessary. I didn;t find the narrator breaking the 4th wall very funny either but at least they are trying something different. And it will be nice to know exactly what Crazy Jane can do, I am assuming that comes eventually.

On 3/17/2019 at 5:22 PM, Bird said:

I enjoyed the first episode but stopped there due to the fact that money is required. I hope to have some time after next week and will consider the free 7 day trial to binge a few. My older daughter watched it with me and we both enjoyed it. The nudity screams "we are an adult show" but was otherwise unnecessary. I didn;t find the narrator breaking the 4th wall very funny either but at least they are trying something different. And it will be nice to know exactly what Crazy Jane can do, I am assuming that comes eventually.

Don't forget the DC app also include a solid library of digital comics, that helped justify the cost for me.

Guerrero said when she got the role on Doom Patrol she started preparation for the role immediately.

“Right from the beginning, I started working with my acting coach on breaking every personality down through movement, through why she needs them or what their main characteristics are. Once my body gets in that space, then everything else can follow, — I have a notebook, and I have basically every personality there. Whenever one pops up in the -script, I can reference my notes, and I reference music. I like to think I have a lot of sides to myself that I can easily access at any given moment, like if I feel threatened or if I want something to go a certain way.”

She manages these personalities a lot better than I ever could. Guerrero flows seamlessly through these characters and really deserves an award for the work she’s put in. Each personality looks and sounds unique, and after this episode it’s even more clear. She’s developed a good method for working through each one and knowing how that one moves. Guerrero’s favorite personalities include Dr. Harrison, and the childlike Baby Doll. The first because “she’s calm and uses her words”, and the second because “There’s no mask for a child, so all those feelings are real”.

The different personalities have kept Jane alive and protected her, but in some cases like this week’s Doom Patrol episode, Jane is catatonic while she tries to figure out if hope is really there. Guerrero spoke as to the personality split, and playing a character with mental health issues as the result of abuse.

“Her personality split as a defense mechanism, as a survival tactic. Otherwise, someone who has experienced abuse at such an early age and hasn’t been treated for it and has lived their life with that abuse, it’s very hard for them to cope,” — “I find it interesting to play a character like that because I also deal with mental health issues and suffer from depression and have been there where you’re just so tired of not knowing how to deal with all these emotions at once, so you find little alternatives.”

“I think that through community and help and facing your fears and problems, then we are much closer to overcoming those demons. I think the show does that beautifully, to walk you through Jane’s emotions and her ups and downs. One minute she’s very positive and wants to help the team out, and other times she’s debilitated. Because we don’t talk so much about mental health and what that does to people, this character shines a light on that a little bit and I think that’s very special.”

47 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

I'd love to watch this, but $75/year is a bit steep for one show.  Is there anything else on DC Universe worth watching?

Why not sign up for a month, binge it, then cancel?

There's tons of comics on there, the Titans show, 3rd season of Young Justice, a bunch of the DC animated movies, Batman movies, animated series etc. A Swamp Thing series starts next month.

Just a heads up for any Canadians interested...  Doom Patrol airs Tuesday evenings on the Space network, which I think is pretty commonly bundled in cable packages.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, Loki said:

Just a heads up for any Canadians interested...  Doom Patrol airs Tuesday evenings on the Space network, which I think is pretty commonly bundled in cable packages.

It's on Crave too

On 2/25/2019 at 4:37 AM, fantastic_four said:

The trailer for this looks amazing.  I mostly have the same disappointment here that I did with the new Star Trek series--I have no current intention to subscribe to a monthly service just for one show.  So I guess I won't be seeing this for awhile.  :mad:

Well, it's a good thing that some of us live up in the Great White North where we get both of these shows for free on the Space Network then.  (thumbsu

Spent my time the past 2 days watching the Doom Patrol series right from the pilot and I have to admit it's definitely rather oddball and a bit trippy.  lol