• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many graded comics are there?

23 posts in this topic

i know this is a stupid very unnecessary question but i just am curious, are there a set number recorded that says the amount of comics CGC has graded? i know it grows everyday but does anyone know how many are out there

I know the census shows totals graded per comic, it makes sense there would be an estimated grand total somewhere. 

I say estimated, due to people resubbing AND not sending in old labels or just cracking it out period. :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Current numbers (May 15, 2018) for the CGC Census:  http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/totals/

3,146,016 Universal

587,494 Signature

37,687 Qualified

35,858 Restored

3,807,055 TOTAL

These CGCdata.com numbers are for the public CGC Census totals, but each time that CGC reports how many comics they have graded they also include the numbers for books that have been reported to them as deslabbed.  Those deslabbed books reported back to CGC are removed from the CGC Census, but they are included in their answer for "how many books has CGC graded?"

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Current numbers (May 15, 2018) for the CGC Census:  http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/totals/

3,146,016 Universal

587,494 Signature

37,687 Qualified

35,858 Restored

3,807,055 TOTAL

These CGCdata.com numbers are for the public CGC Census totals, but each time that CGC reports how many comics they have graded they also include the numbers for books that have been reported to them as deslabbed.  Those deslabbed books reported back to CGC are removed from the CGC Census, but they are included in their answer for "how many books has CGC graded?"

Wow. Nice to know they take off reported deslabbed books. Which makes me wonder--is there any way to find out what the most re-graded individual book is? (Not title or issue...specific physical book that's been resubmitted the most.)

27 minutes ago, Cocomonkey said:

Wow. Nice to know they take off reported deslabbed books. Which makes me wonder--is there any way to find out what the most re-graded individual book is? (Not title or issue...specific physical book that's been resubmitted the most.)

Nope.  The CGC data that's available is anonymous - total counts by grade, etc.  There's nothing in the census about a particular CGC serial number and nothing about particular copies (such as Edgar Church notation).  The graders at CGC might laugh when they see "that same book again"... but they haven't shared that info.  My guess is that most deslabbing is not reported to CGC, so when the CGC census says that there are 100 CGC slabbed copies of something, that's probably too high.  It might be 98 slabbed copies and 2 deslabbed copies that didn't get reported to CGC.  The CGC Census is always the "or fewer" number.  If the CGC Census says there are currently 100, it's always 100 slabs or fewer.

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Nope.  The CGC data that's available is anonymous - total counts by grade, etc.  There's nothing in the census about a particular CGC serial number and nothing about particular copies (such as Edgar Church notation).  The graders at CGC might laugh when they see "that same book again"... but they haven't shared that info.  My guess is that most deslabbing is not reported to CGC, so when the CGC census says that there are 100 CGC slabbed copies of something, that's probably too high.  It might be 98 slabbed copies and 2 deslabbed copies that didn't get reported to CGC.  The CGC Census is always the "or fewer" number.  If the CGC Census says there are currently 100, it's always 100 slabs or fewer.

Yeah, that's what I figured. If there was a way to find out, there would be eBay sales listing books as the most resubmitted XYZ, because somehow, some people would consider it a positive thing...

12 hours ago, valiantman said:
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Lazyboy said:

3,146,016 Universal

587,494 Signature

37,687 Qualified

35,858 Restored

3,807,055 TOTAL

jeebus - all that plastic.  CGC must be one of the most environmentally unfriendly companies....,

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

3,146,016 Universal

587,494 Signature

37,687 Qualified

35,858 Restored

3,807,055 TOTAL

jeebus - all that plastic.  CGC must be one of the most environmentally unfriendly companies....,

They have close ties to the oil industry as all CGC cases are made of petroleum products. 

Do you see something wrong with that ? 

Just now, Senormac said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

3,146,016 Universal

587,494 Signature

37,687 Qualified

35,858 Restored

3,807,055 TOTAL

They have close ties to the oil industry as all CGC cases are made of petroleum products. 

No - I'm all for raping and pillaging the planet.  I must have sent over 300 outer wells to the landfills myself.

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

No - I'm all for raping and pillaging the planet.  I must have sent over 300 outer wells to the landfills myself.

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
5 minutes ago, Senormac said:
7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

3,146,016 Universal

587,494 Signature

37,687 Qualified

35,858 Restored

3,807,055 TOTAL

You mistake the Creators intentions.  He put all this stuff here for us to use.....as best we could....... until He closes this chapter of existence ...... or we close it by ignoring His guidance  

2 minutes ago, Senormac said:
9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
11 minutes ago, Senormac said:
13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

3,146,016 Universal

587,494 Signature

37,687 Qualified

35,858 Restored

3,807,055 TOTAL

You mistake the Creators intentions.  He put all this stuff here for us to use.....as best we could....... until He closes this chapter of existence ...... or we close it by ignoring His guidance

Borock?

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:
4 minutes ago, Senormac said:
11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
13 minutes ago, Senormac said:
15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

3,146,016 Universal

587,494 Signature

37,687 Qualified

35,858 Restored

3,807,055 TOTAL

Borock?

No, the other creator !!  :makepoint:

21 minutes ago, Aliens said:

587,494 Signature

587,493 of those are Stan Lee

It's a good joke, often repeated, but I actually ran the numbers and even if we pretend every signature is a Stan Lee signature, there aren't any Marvel comics from before year 2000 that have more signed slabs than universal slabs.  After Stan dies, there won't be any more signature series added.  In other words, people who say "I'd rather have an unsigned copy because Stan has signed too many" aren't actually talking about the majority of copies.  The majority of copies are still (and will always be) unsigned.

21 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Almost 4 million petro products befouling our precious environment?   :whatthe:    I had no idea that the number was more than a bushel and a peck. :grin:

I wonder if the EPA is aware of this?  hm           :idea:         :devil:       :whistle:    

:jokealert:

Edited by James J Johnson