• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima Adventure Comics #91 on Clink
3 3

62 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Comicsarefun said:

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%23Item_1246648&id=1246648&itemType=0

Why is this book selling at 5 times guide?  Are Okajima books that sought after, or is this book really that hot?

RADBE57B2018329_134623.jpg

It’s certain books in the pedigree right now that people are utterly bananas for ... particularly war themed books from the time period when she was in the internment camp.

Some of these books are going for 5-10 times what non ped books of the same grade would go.  This is a new trend starting 2 or 3 years ago it seems.

Check out the thread dedicated to the Okajimas to see more examples.

6 hours ago, Comicsarefun said:

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%23Item_1246648&id=1246648&itemType=0

Why is this book selling at 5 times guide?  Are Okajima books that sought after, or is this book really that hot?

RADBE57B2018329_134623.jpg

This book will Sell over 10X guide. 

Okajima camp books are extremely desirable. 

This is not my consignment. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

9 hours ago, Comicsarefun said:

Mid-grade camp era books: 5-7x market for non-ped copy (example the Captain Midnight)

High grade or classic cover, or military cover camp era books: 10x market for non-ped copy (example Yank on HA) 

Non-camp era books: 2x market for non-ped copy (but this can swell to 4x market if the market has been okajima dry for a while) (example Firehair on CC a few months back)

I'd expect this one to see around 10x market, in part due to these books rarely coming up for auction even with these stratospheric prices being realized and in part due to it being a Kirby/War cover (though not as "war" as some other ones)

Edited by miraclemet

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Mid-grade camp era books: 5-7x market for non-ped copy (example the Captain Midnight)

High grade or classic cover, or military cover camp era books: 10x market for non-ped copy (example Yank on HA) 

Non-camp era books: 2x market for non-ped copy (but this can swell to 4x market if the market has been okajima dry for a while) (example Firehair on CC a few months back)

I'd expect this one to see around 10x market, in part due to these books rarely coming up for auction even with these stratospheric prices being realized and in part due to it being a Kirby/War cover (though not as "war" as some other ones)

I would guess that it would go higher if it were a Japanese war cover rather than a German war cover.

Not sure that the cover being by Kirby adds much, if any, bounce these days, and I love Kirby. 

14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I would guess that it would go higher if it were a Japanese war cover rather than a German war cover.

Not sure that the cover being by Kirby adds much, if any, bounce these days, and I love Kirby. 

Yeah that was my "not as "war" as some other ones" comment.  And I agree, maybe Kirby isnt the draw here, maybe it's just getting a DC/Timely super hero book, since they were less common in the collection (as opposed to say Fiction House or Fawcett) 

Edited by miraclemet

6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

This book will Sell over 10X guide. 

It really shouldn't. Okajima's are cool, but other than that this book has very little going for it in terms of things that stoke collector value. At 10X guide (roughly $3500) you are saying that this book, merely because it is an Okajima, should sell for more than the 9.4 San Francisco copy sold for. I don't think that that would be correct.

And before anyone blasts me...we had a high grade copy of this book in inventory on our site for below guide for over two years before we blew it out for a loss in a trade last year. Late Adventure Comics are tough sells at this time...except, apparently, when they are mid-grade and have "Okajima" written on them.

Edited by MrBedrock

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It really shouldn't. Okajima's are cool, but other than that this book has very little going for it in terms of things that stoke collector value. At 10X guide (roughly $3500) you are saying that this book, merely because it is an Okajima, should sell for more than the 9.4 San Francisco copy sold for. I don't think that that would be correct.

Agreed. The Okajima backstory is interesting, maybe the most interesting of all pedigrees, but I have a hard time understanding how an otherwise VERY pedestrian run book rockets to 10x guide because of the association. 

This is also a recent phenomenon. Camp-era books did not used to command anywhere near this kind of premium. They are now arguably the most expensive of all pedigrees in terms of guide multiples, especially in low/mid grade at price points under $5k. 

25 minutes ago, october said:

Agreed. The Okajima backstory is interesting, maybe the most interesting of all pedigrees, but I have a hard time understanding how an otherwise VERY pedestrian run book rockets to 10x guide because of the association. 

This is also a recent phenomenon. Camp-era books did not used to command anywhere near this kind of premium. They are now arguably the most expensive of all pedigrees in terms of guide multiples, especially in low/mid grade at price points under $5k. 

and @MrBedrock How about 17X guide?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/boy-comics-16-okajima-pedigree-lev-gleason-1944-cgc-fn-vf-70-white-pages/a/121816-14279.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I know you both are far advanced in comicdom than I but I think the Okajima Camp books are seeing a next level interest. 

46 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

34 minutes ago, october said:

All due respect I think you guys may be missing the point.  It is the ped and the story of the ped driving the price on these, not the books themselves.  How many cgc graded Okajima camp coded war themed books are there anyway?  Doesn't matter if they're relatively speaking junk books, if there's say less than 100 known?  5-6k for otherwise run of the mill books doesn't seem that shocking, after all no comic should be worth more than 10 cents. 

What will be really telling is when "an already highly coveted classic issue "camp coded Okajima book comes to auction...will those get 10 times guide?  I really doubt it because at the point the price of the book itself will outweigh its pedigree value.

All that said, I own none of these books and have no desire to buy any at the current prices.  I will however be happy to buy any from anyone who thinks they should be priced at a lower more appropriate value...

I understand that there is a ton of interest and I understand that the interest in primarily driven by the backstory. I even get paying a hefty premium for them. I don't get 10x guide for the backstory when that's all you get. That is a phenomenon completely unique to Okajima camp books. In terms of market value a boring Church book is a boring book first, a Church copy second. The same goes for every other pedigree except this particular subset of Okajimas. It's also something that just started happening recently. 

Maybe it's the new normal. I don't see them as being particularly scarce though. In the last year I have seen at least five for sale. That's five more than a LOT of golden age books I am after. :pullhair:

Edited by october

Just now, jabats said:
19 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Over 10X guide, huh?

I am starting a sales thread now...

If you have camp books, please do!

i will get my wallet out lol

Camp book available. Let's do this!