• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 for Sale On ComicConnect
3 3

229 posts in this topic

Just wanted to add given this slab sold in old blue label with rusty staples notation @ $1.5M in 2010, I am revising my price target on this auction to $2.8M+  If you go back to that time period and look at GA/SA keys vs. multiples where they are trading now a 2 bagger is not that far fetched. Depending on grade, key, etc. many slabs today are trading at 20% ROR range vs same starting point/time frame 8 years ago.

Look at time line of Cages 9.0 AC1 slab that sold in 2011. A mere 3 years later, Pristine's 9.0 fetches $1M more. Clearly this 8.5 presents incredibly well overall. Its just a matter of the staple issue being a deal breaker or not for a particular heavy bidder.

Bottom line this comic sold for $1.5M eight years ago. Its not going to fetch anywhere near this range present day.  

15 hours ago, DC|Marvel said:

Did not see a price prediction thread so just wanted to go on record saying the end price for this comic is going to shock allot of people and I would actually be surprised if it lands under $2.4M

I'll admit that this already shocked me, but I'll play along -- my guess: $2.18M.

3 hours ago, DC|Marvel said:

Just wanted to add given this slab sold in old blue label with rusty staples notation @ $1.5M in 2010, I am revising my price target on this auction to $2.8M+ 

Gives me the creeps ... :popcorn: .

And I am NOT revising! xD

6 hours ago, DC|Marvel said:

Just wanted to add given this slab sold in old blue label with rusty staples notation @ $1.5M in 2010, I am revising my price target on this auction to $2.8M+  If you go back to that time period and look at GA/SA keys vs. multiples where they are trading now a 2 bagger is not that far fetched. Depending on grade, key, etc. many slabs today are trading at 20% ROR range vs same starting point/time frame 8 years ago.

Look at time line of Cages 9.0 AC1 slab that sold in 2011. A mere 3 years later, Pristine's 9.0 fetches $1M more. Clearly this 8.5 presents incredibly well overall. Its just a matter of the staple issue being a deal breaker or not for a particular heavy bidder.

Bottom line this comic sold for $1.5M eight years ago. Its not going to fetch anywhere near this range present day.  

Since 2010 many of the big GA keys have more likely trippled ...

16 hours ago, DC|Marvel said:

Look at time line of Cages 9.0 AC1 slab that sold in 2011. A mere 3 years later, Pristine's 9.0 fetches $1M more.

You need to look at the books not just the numbers.  The Cage copy 9.0 had cream to off-white pages.  The pages on the second 9.0 were extremely supple and a very blinding white.  That is probably a far better explanation for most of the jump in price than the mere passage of time.  Indeed, if the order of sales had been reversed, Hariri would not have bid on the Cage because he'd already have had a better copy - so in that alternate past you might very well have seen the selling price for an Action 9.0 decline due to the lesser page quality.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

You need to look at the books not just the numbers.  The Cage copy 9.0 had cream to off-white pages.  The pages on the second 9.0 were extremely supple and a very blinding white.  That is probably a far better explanation for most of the jump in price than the mere passage of time.  Indeed, if the order of sales had been reversed, Hariri would not have bid on the Cage because he'd already have had a better copy - so in that alternate past you might very well have seen the selling price for an Action 9.0 decline due to the lesser page quality.

That was a huge part of the narrative on the eBay 9.0. That it was the "best" copy. That was BS as it's not the best, just the best in a CGC holder, but still, that was how it was marketed.  

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I concur with you and am also aware of those variables you cited. But if I am not mistaken, that 9.0 was a CPRd 8.0. I would take the natural presenting comic with inferior page quality in that scenario.

2 hours ago, DC|Marvel said:

I concur with you and am also aware of those variables you cited. But if I am not mistaken, that 9.0 was a CPRd 8.0. I would take the natural presenting comic with inferior page quality in that scenario.

The 9.0 was clearly straightened out and pressed.  But, in today's market, that seems to be the norm.  I have seen no evidence that pressing impacts price negatively.  To the contrary, there are many many examples, including the 9.0 (w), that it increases price.  So I think you are in the minority, but you are certainly entitled to your preferences and you are also definitely not alone.

For me though, that video of the raw 9.0 on eBay was probably the most impressive presentation of a comic I've ever seen.  Blinding white pages, extremely supple, it looked perfect.  Far far better looking than cream/ow.  Hariri apparently agreed.

It's not clear to me that the 8.5 has not been pressed.  Didn't it recently get a new holder, PQ upgrade, and the "rusty staple" note somehow disappeared (although the rust didn't)?  Makes me wonder if the new holder was the result of an attempt at a pressing upgrade.  Just a guess!

6 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

dave hester yup.jpg

4 hours ago, rob_react said:

That was a huge part of the narrative on the eBay 9.0. That it was the "best" copy. That was BS as it's not the best, just the best in a CGC holder, but still, that was how it was marketed.  

dave hester yup.jpg

6 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The 9.0 was clearly straightened out and pressed.  But, in today's market, that seems to be the norm.  I have seen no evidence that pressing impacts price negatively.  To the contrary, there are many many examples, including the 9.0 (w), that it increases price.  So I think you are in the minority, but you are certainly entitled to your preferences and you are also definitely not alone.

For me though, that video of the raw 9.0 on eBay was probably the most impressive presentation of a comic I've ever seen.  Blinding white pages, extremely supple, it looked perfect.  Far far better looking than cream/ow.  Hariri apparently agreed.

It's not clear to me that the 8.5 has not been pressed.  Didn't it recently get a new holder, PQ upgrade, and the "rusty staple" note somehow disappeared (although the rust didn't)?  Makes me wonder if the new holder was the result of an attempt at a pressing upgrade.  Just a guess!

https://www.cgccomics.com/1134755001/#features/

click the far right and look at this great book.

Edited by woowoo

14 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

We don't know if it was originally pressed, but the certification number has stayed the same in the new holder - my understanding was that happens in re-holder situations.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I prefer the colors and presentation of the top book, the 8.5 copy

I will second that, loss of color in pressing?..slight? rusty stapes a big negative for me. sharper left bottom corner on 8.5

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

I will second that, loss of color in pressing?..slight?

Would think that color difference is in the scan process, I don't believe the colors can be that different.  Really posted both to show the structure side by side (though I guess the photos were too wide and they are more on top of each other, rather than side by side). 

I remember seeing the 8.5 many years ago when PCE had it and thought that it was stunning in person. The current scan doesn't do anything to lower my opinion of it.

Judging colors/preservation is tough from scans. These scans are from two different planets, so I wouldn't use the side-by-side to compare preservation. 

To my eye, structurally, the 8.5 presents better. Obviously, you can't see the biggest defect, the staples, but the rest of the book is outrageous. The spine and corners are stronger than the 9.0. 

Edited by rob_react