• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 for Sale On ComicConnect
3 3

229 posts in this topic

Watch this video of a flip through of the 9.0: 

It refutes any notion that the above scan shows accurate colors.

Although I agree the one advantage the 8.5 has on the 9.0 is the bottom left front corner on the 9.0 is not as sharp as with the 8.5, the centering on the 9.0 is superior to that of the 8.5 (which loses cover image on the top of the "N" and bottom right side) and to my eyes the other three corners on the 9.0 are sharper than the 8.5 (check out the video for that).  Also, hard for me to assess the structure of the 8.5 without seeing the spine given the rust concern.  Thus, I'm not sure that I agree that the 8.5 is "structurally superior."  The 9.0 also is incredibly supple and tough, again as evidenced by the flip through in the above video.

In any event, the superior bottom left corner of the 8.5 is more than off-set for me by the superior color vibrancy (again, watch this video) and blinding whiteness of the cover and interior.  Further, whereas the 8.5 has some weird black marks and scratches in the banner and top blue area, the 9.0's banner and blue area are unflawed.

Which is not say the 8.5 is not a good looking book, it's is. 

Edited by sfcityduck

I've seen that video before when it was first placed up for viewing.  Just incredible!  The pages look so newsstand fresh, there's a lot to love about that copy.  In my head I was thinking, wow look at him flipping through a $3 million book like it was just like any other comic book.  I probably wouldn't have the cojones to do such a thing had I owned it, fearing that I may tear a page, drop the book, causing more spine creases if any, or all of the above :facepalm:

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, sfcityduck said:

Watch this video of a flip through of the 9.0: 

It refutes any notion that the above scan shows accurate colors.

Although I agree the one advantage the 8.5 has on the 9.0 is the bottom left front corner on the 9.0 is not as sharp as with the 8.5, the centering on the 9.0 is superior to that of the 8.5 (which loses cover image on the top of the "N" and bottom right side) and to my eyes the other three corners on the 9.0 are sharper than the 8.5 (check out the video for that).  Also, hard for me to assess the structure of the 8.5 without seeing the spine given the rust concern.  Thus, I'm not sure that I agree that the 8.5 is "structurally superior."  The 9.0 also is incredibly supple and tough, again as evidenced by the flip through in the above video.

In any event, the superior bottom left corner of the 8.5 is more than off-set for me by the superior color vibrancy (again, watch this video) and blinding whiteness of the cover and interior.  Further, whereas the 8.5 has some weird black marks and scratches in the banner and top blue area, the 9.0's banner and blue area are unflawed.

Which is not say the 8.5 is not a good looking book, it's is. 

I got nauseous as the pages were flipped...

...incorrectly! 

The book was held in the correct manner, but I thought you were supposed to flip the pages with your thumb as opposed to pulling the pages forward!