• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 for Sale On ComicConnect
3 3

229 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2018 at 3:05 PM, sfcityduck said:

I agree.

I expect the present "world record" comic book price set a few years back to stay the same for a good while.  With the top three known Action 1s and top known D27s apparently tied up forever, at this point I think there are only two potential reasons why we would see another world record comic book sale in the next five to ten years: 

Church MC 1 (estimated 9.8)

Allentown CA 1 (CGC 9.8)

And I would not bet that either could do it today.

On 6/13/2018 at 6:24 PM, rob_react said:

I don't think either would do it today. I think both would be seven figure books, but not 3.5 million dollar books. 

I don't know that the Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2 is tied up forever. I don't know anything about that book at all, to be honest. 

That would be a new record.  

I wonder about the Cap 1.  We haven't seen a 9.0 or better sale in years, and at 9.8, you're assured the HGC spot for as long as you own it. 

Maybe not 3.5M, but I think it would exceed expectations. 

6 minutes ago, nearmint said:

I wonder about the Cap 1.  We haven't seen a 9.0 or better sale in years, and at 9.8, you're assured the HGC spot for as long as you own it. 

Maybe not 3.5M, but I think it would exceed expectations. 

I think it's worth a boatload. It's just already doubled in my mind over the past few years. I had it as a $1,000,000 book and now it's a $2,000,000- $2,500,000 book. Again, who knows who would be there to bid on it, but it's one of the best books in the hobby. 

9 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

It's only a 10 mil book of if two people think it is.  Right now, there's no hard evidence that any comic, including the MH Action 1, would garner more than $3M and change at auction. 

My point. What the current ability of any single comic book to reach in sales and not the expected value. If people say it’s a 7,8 or 10 mil or whatever value you attach to it are there buyers out there currently that would pay those prices on a single book?

You’d have to do it more for the right to own such a book because owning a copy of Action #1 or Tec #27,etc. in such high grade although you’d probably make some money on it over time is no way near your best way to invest 5 or 10 mil. So Cal property alone would have killed that Action #1 at 2 mil as an investment from 2010 to 2018 as would have any number of stocks, etc.

I just wondered if the buyers currently exist in the comics market. In a lot of other collectible fields from fine art to classic autos finding a buyer to pony up 10 mil for the right piece isn’t difficult but in comics today? That was my question although until something claimed to be worth that comes around I know it’ll remain unanswered....

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

If it’s a 10 mil or whatever book I wonder how many buyers in comics today would or could bite on such an animal?

hm                         where you been N e r V :hi:

2 hours ago, rob_react said:

I think it's worth a boatload. It's just already doubled in my mind over the past few years. I had it as a $1,000,000 book and now it's a $2,000,000- $2,500,000 book. Again, who knows who would be there to bid on it, but it's one of the best books in the hobby. 

You have a very rosy view of a GA comic with over 30 copies on the census right now in 8.0 or better condition (12 universal).  By comparison, Action 1 only has 12 (4 in universal).  The likelihood that someone can get a really nice presenting CA 1 far exceeds that for Action 1.  So you would think that demand at higher levels is going to be much more diluted.

Plus, let's face it, Captain America is a sucky character (just another Shield rip-off), almost as bad as Daredevil (just another Wildcat rip-off) :baiting: 

22 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

You have a very rosy view of a GA comic with over 30 copies on the census right now in 8.0 or better condition (12 universal).  By comparison, Action 1 only has 12 (4 in universal).  The likelihood that someone can get a really nice presenting CA 1 far exceeds that for Action 1.  So you would think that demand at higher levels is going to be much more diluted.

Plus, let's face it, Captain America is a sucky character (just another Shield rip-off), almost as bad as Daredevil (just another Wildcat rip-off) :baiting: 

Here you go calm down

163258430_duck9.jpg.e01aa82c2564d2e4adfcfbbeb94050d7.jpg

3 hours ago, rob_react said:

Action is a good title, that's for sure, but it's no Patsy Walker.

4 hours ago, N e r V said:

My point. What the current ability of any single comic book to reach in sales and not the expected value. If people say it’s a 7,8 or 10 mil or whatever value you attach to it are there buyers out there currently that would pay those prices on a single book?

You’d have to do it more for the right to own such a book because owning a copy of Action #1 or Tec #27,etc. in such high grade although you’d probably make some money on it over time is no way near your best way to invest 5 or 10 mil. So Cal property alone would have killed that Action #1 at 2 mil as an investment from 2010 to 2018 as would have any number of stocks, etc.

I just wondered if the buyers currently exist in the comics market. In a lot of other collectible fields from fine art to classic autos finding a buyer to pony up 10 mil for the right piece isn’t difficult but in comics today? That was my question although until something claimed to be worth that comes around I know it’ll remain unanswered....

Speaking of Tec 27, isn't there a blue 9.2 floating around?  Did that ever come up for auction?  I could see that one potentially hitting 5mil+

30 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Speaking of Tec 27, isn't there a blue 9.2 floating around?  Did that ever come up for auction?  I could see that one potentially hitting 5mil+

Think that was already mentioned?

On 6/13/2018 at 6:24 PM, rob_react said:

I don't think either would do it today. I think both would be seven figure books, but not 3.5 million dollar books. 

I don't know that the Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2 is tied up forever. I don't know anything about that book at all, to be honest. 

13 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I would expect it to sell privately, if it changes hands. Doubt we will see in a public auction 

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

anyone have a link?  Its not coming up for me, maybe its blocking canadians or something

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

anyone have a link?  Its not coming up for me, maybe its blocking canadians or something

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1-Original-Authentic-1938-10c-DC-Comic-1st-Superman-WHITE-PAGES/382488937438?hash=item590e1e03de:g:c9oAAOSwkcFbIA6i

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, rob_react said:

Detective 27 9.2 unrestord.jpg

“Action Comics #1 is widely known and accepted as a “bulletproof investment”. The combination of scarcity and iconic imagery catapult this book above all other key issues in the entire comic book world. A 9.0 copy of Action Comics #1 sold for 3.2 Million 4 years ago. With values of Action #1 increasing over 20% year over year, that comic would sell for nearly DOUBLE just 4 short years later. Opportunities to own a copy of this comic do not come around very often, Sparkle City Comics is honored to be the custodian of this piece of American History and offer it to our valued clientele on eBay”

So the 9.0 is really a roughly 6 million dollar book today if it was up for sale?