Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 for Sale On ComicConnect
5 5

229 posts in this topic

24,108 posts
9 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

it seems to me like the guy who bought the other two high-grade Action #1's from Metro would also buy this example to corner the market.

I don't think he'll be that interested in second highest grade let alone cornering the market. Now if DA's copy were to be offered ...

Edited by Gotham Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58,323 posts
15 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I don't think he'll be that interested in second highest grade let alone cornering the market. Now if DA's copy were to be offered ...

I've heard he's "done" for now...not sure how true that is...I suspect Metro could comment on this with some authority...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,763 posts
15 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I've heard he's "done" for now...not sure how true that is...I suspect Metro could comment on this with some authority...

It will be interesting to see if Hariri's absence from the bidding has any impact on the market for this book.  It's sitting below the Overstreet value right now, but way above its last selling price.  And, the two subsequent sales which boosted the value of the book were both to Hariri.  So his absence may well be felt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,900 posts
1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

It will be interesting to see if Hariri's absence from the bidding has any impact on the market for this book.  It's sitting below the Overstreet value right now, but way above its last selling price.  And, the two subsequent sales which boosted the value of the book were both to Hariri.  So his absence may well be felt.

In theory he was bidding against someone else so it will come down to who was the third highest bidder assume bidder 2 and 3 are both still on the hunt and have the same or more funds to chase this copy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
354 posts

There are very few people in the world who can or are willing to put that kind of money into a comic book.  I could see liquidity without taking some sort of loss being a real issue on ubber high and golden age where you're talking over a million dollars and record prices paid.  Paying several hundred thousand dollars, the book appreciating over a decade is one thing, but finding someone else who has the funds, loves comics as much as you do and is willing to park millions into a single issue seems like a very tall and risky order indeed.

In the grand scheme of things if you are billionaire millions spent is likely fun money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,195 posts
On 5/16/2018 at 9:33 AM, buttock said:

I'm being told that the rust is more than I understood.  Maybe the book has fuzzy eyebrows.  

Which makes you wonder why ...

Certification Information

Certification #:  0010101001
Title:  Action Comics
Issue:  1
Issue Date:  6/38
Issue Year:  1938
Publisher:  D.C. Comics
Grade:  8.5
Total Graded At:  4
Page Quality:  WHITE
Grade Date:  12/28/2017
Category:  Universal
Art Comments:  Jerry Siegel and Fred Guardineer story
Fred Guardineer and Bernard Baily art
Joe Shuster cover and art
Key Comments:  Origin and 1st appearance of Superman.
1st appearance of Lois Lane and Zatara.
Grader Notes:  None Available

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239 posts

Apologies if this has been asked already, but was this particular Action 1 just a straight reholder of the original Gen 1 case or a resub for regrading? (the "001" cert number would seem to indicate a reholder)

I haven't had any experience with CGC reholders, but would CGC regrade a reholder if no damage was spotted on/in the original case? And, if regraded, maintain the original cert number? (unless CGC keeps the original cert number if you resubmit for grading in the original case?)

Finally, would a straight reholdering generate grader notes if not present on the original submission?

Thanks

 

Edited by DanCooper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,007 posts
On 5/29/2018 at 8:09 AM, G.A.tor said:

I've heard he's "done" for now...not sure how true that is...I suspect Metro could comment on this with some authority...

I'm sure Metro would love to publicly state that the biggest buyer in the market is no longer buying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,576 posts
23 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

... It's sitting below the Overstreet value right now, but way above its last selling price. 

Not sure I would call $59,000 "way above" its last public selling price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,763 posts
31 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Not sure I would call $59,000 "way above" its last public selling price.

 

You're right.  I was thinking it was sold for $1M, but that was the KC copy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,757 posts
5 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm sure Metro would love to publicly state that the biggest buyer in the market is no longer buying.

Maybe they should call Jay Parrino back up? (shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,007 posts
6 hours ago, drbanner said:
12 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm sure Metro would love to publicly state that the biggest buyer in the market is no longer buying.

Maybe they should call Jay Parrino back up? (shrug)

lol

This actually raises a good point, though.  How many times have all the Chicken Littles run around predicting the impending death of the comic market because of news that a big buyer had exited the market?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,900 posts
20 minutes ago, tth2 said:

lol

This actually raises a good point, though.  How many times have all the Chicken Littles run around predicting the impending death of the comic market because of news that a big buyer had exited the market?

Well, I know I did not seriously bid on anything in the last heritage auction, but no one noticed. :sorry: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
718 posts
On 5/29/2018 at 6:01 PM, sfcityduck said:

It will be interesting to see if Hariri's absence from the bidding has any impact on the market for this book.  It's sitting below the Overstreet value right now, but way above its last selling price.  And, the two subsequent sales which boosted the value of the book were both to Hariri.  So his absence may well be felt.

Not if another hotshot decides he wants in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58,323 posts
16 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm sure Metro would love to publicly state that the biggest buyer in the market is no longer buying.

And yet I see it as a potential positive “if” confirmed. First I doubt anyone interested in this book puts any credence into anything said or speculated here in this little thread. Second, if you are a serious contender for this book “knowing” that someone who can likely or can easily outbid whatever one thinks the book is worth is sitting it out for this one book (and again I have no idea, I just responded to speculation from a conversation I heard at C2e2, and it was related to this book, not the hobby in general...) might motivate that bidder(s) to really go after it. Who knows? Who cares? I know I can’t afford it so it will just be fun to watch 

Edited by G.A.tor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
337 posts

True enough :popcorn:

Does Mr. Geppi donate his excellent copy of AC1 to the LOC -- so it would be out of circulation forever?

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-18-072/library-receives-donation-of-popular-art-valued-in-the-millions/2018-05-30/

... now or in the future?

"Geppi will continue to be an active collector and will be considering other donations to the Library of Congress in the future.  “I view this newly established connection to the Library of Congress as the beginning of a long-term relationship,” said Geppi."

9_9

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
212 posts

the comic connect auction mentions a crazy story back in the 80s when the book first came around that ended in an almost fist fight.  WOULD I LIKE TO HEAR MORE.... yes!!!   What went down?!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,873 posts
3 hours ago, texmurphy2099 said:

the comic connect auction mentions a crazy story back in the 80s when the book first came around that ended in an almost fist fight.  WOULD I LIKE TO HEAR MORE.... yes!!!   What went down?!

 

 

Truth, Justice and the American way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5