• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney Comics

4 posts in this topic

Copper age Disney comics!

Like, what's the deal here?

I only know a little bit about this. I know there are some keys, particularly with Don Rosa issues of Uncle Scrooge. I know Gladstone took over publishing in the 80's, then Disney self-published the comics for a few years before Gladstone took over again. From my understanding, the late issues of the second Gladstone run on Uncle Scrooge in particular are hard to find and valuable. 

Are there any other keys, books of interest, etc? I have been looking on ebay for info, and prices seem all over the place, so I'm just more confused than before I started. 

I recently got a small OO Disney collection from the early 90's and I'm trying to make heads or tails out of it. It's got full or almost full runs of the Disney Comics runs of Duck Tales, Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck Adventures, but the collector stopped buying a couple months after Gladstone took over again, so for instance the Uncle Scrooge run ends just before The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck begins. 

This is an area I'm looking to get into more, so any information from people in the know about what's cool, what's not cool, etc. would be super useful!

I wasn't able to find an earlier thread about this, so if I missed it, sorry and please point me in the right direction.

Edited by Crimebuster

The only line of thinking that I have to contribute are Whitmans? Am I on the right track? 

I've often found the Scrooge's and such and know of people that seek them out, but I never latched on to learn anything...

I remember reading them in the 80's because it seemed wholesome enough for my parents to buy me a few, of course I was real young.... (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

When Gladstone took over publishing the Disney titles in 1986, it was a fairly big deal, and the first issues of those runs (WDC&S #511, Donald Duck #246, etc) were a big deal, climbing to $15 or so in the OPG...at a time when cover prices were still 75 cents.

They're fun, cute stories.

I have multiple complete runs of Scrooge from this time frame and all the Rosa issues from all titles. Unfortunately your run stops before they get worth a lot. The Life & Times sells great as a set, and when it goes to the squarebound Gemstone issues, there are a lot of nice money issues. It took me almost 5 years to find a 383 in the wild. You can never go wrong with the Rosa issues to read. Most of the non-Rosa issues are easy finds in bargain bins, and even the Rosa's aren't really tough.