• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Byrne Coming To Fan Expo Canada
3 3

92 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

As for Signature Series, we got a very hard no on that. He did not leave it open for discussion, and made it clear that money is not a motivator for him.

Kevin, thanks for working so hard on this and keeping us up to date!

Byrne was always going to sign other items at the shows, the question is if he had any limits or restrictions, or if he would require a Star Trek/IDW book in the mix in order to get other autographs.

And no, there has been no announcement yet. I'm waiting to hear back on when we will be doing that.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Boyd said:

Byrne was always going to sign other items at the shows, the question is if he had any limits or restrictions, or if he would require a Star Trek/IDW book in the mix in order to get other autographs.

And no, there has been no announcement yet. I'm waiting to hear back on when we will be doing that.

Thanks, I was looking for an announcement everywhere.

It's a bummer there's no SS, and unfortunately it's a growing issue out there that some creators lump anyone doing SS into non-fan / "only in it for the money" / "ebay flippers" stereotypes... has been discussed in many threads that there's an image problem with the SS program (even just the fact that many creators who do allow it, charge more for it). But that's a conversation for another thread.

Bottom line, I'm just happy that Byrne is willing to sign other non-Star Trek items, as Kevin made it clear from the beginning that Byrne was anti-slabbing and any package would not allow SS.

FWIW, for my 2 sigs, I'm planning on getting him to sign on top of my existing slabs (trying to finalize which ones!) I'll let him know I'm a huge fan, and I'm going to get his signature personalized to me on the slab. Maybe it'll be a subtle indication that there are "real fans" who like to slab too :foryou:

1 minute ago, CKinTO said:

It's a bummer there's no SS, and unfortunately it's a growing issue out there that some creators lump anyone doing SS into non-fan / "only in it for the money" / "ebay flippers" stereotypes... has been discussed in many threads that there's an image problem with the SS program (even just the fact that many creators who do allow it, charge more for it). But that's a conversation for another thread.

Bottom line, I'm just happy that Byrne is willing to sign other non-Star Trek items, as Kevin made it clear from the beginning that Byrne was anti-slabbing and any package would not allow SS.

FWIW, for my 2 sigs, I'm planning on getting him to sign on top of my existing slabs (trying to finalize which ones!) I'll let him know I'm a huge fan, and I'm going to get his signature personalized to me on the slab. Maybe it'll be a subtle indication that there are "real fans" who like to slab too :foryou:

JB has also stated he likes his work to "breath" so he's not a fan of his work be encapsulated in the first place. I wonder if he'd even be willing to sign over top of the case, good luck though. I am very glad he's signing non star trek books, so I'm OK with him not allowing SS.

6 hours ago, Canadiancomics said:

JB has also stated he likes his work to "breath" so he's not a fan of his work be encapsulated in the first place. I wonder if he'd even be willing to sign over top of the case, good luck though. I am very glad he's signing non star trek books, so I'm OK with him not allowing SS.

I will be bringing these books to Fan Expo Canada. I am fine with not having his signature slabbed. The FF 236 is one of my All-time favorite Byrne covers.

FF remainders.jpg

1 hour ago, Ron C. said:

I will be bringing these books to Fan Expo Canada. I am fine with not having his signature slabbed. The FF 236 is one of my All-time favorite Byrne covers.

FF remainders.jpg

Nice! Being that I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, I'm hoping to get my copy of ASM 189 signed, plus a few of his Spider-Man chapter 1 books I own. Can't wait.