• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Byrne Coming To Fan Expo Canada
3 3

92 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Harley Troy said:

IMHO, the Yellow label/SS crowd needs a shot in the arm. A John Byrne SS opportunity would give the SS program a much needed boost. CGC should get off the sidelines and see about doing a legit CGC signing with everything laid out so there is no confusion or sparring match with Mr. Byrne. It could be a high profile enough signing to give the SS program a nice spotlight, that if handled right, these creators who don't fully understand the SS program could get some much needed information.2c

Absolutely.

After reading the entire thread I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about John Byrne sketching at Boston or Toronto Fan Expo, I assume it must be pretty unlikely he'll be doing them taking into account all the fans that would try to obtain a signature from him. Although, I contacted Byrne's agent asking him if there is any chance John would be able to add a sketch to my jam piece at Fan Expo Canada, unfortunately its on a page I'm providing and pencil only which doesn't follow Byrne's commission guide lines, but he still told me I should show it to him and ask. He never gave me the impression John wouldn't be sketching at those shows...but maybe that'll change if hundreds of fans show up in line. Crossing my fingers he has a fan package that includes a quick sketch from Byrne. 

29 minutes ago, Canadiancomics said:

After reading the entire thread I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about John Byrne sketching at Boston or Toronto Fan Expo, I assume it must be pretty unlikely he'll be doing them taking into account all the fans that would try to obtain a signature from him. Although, I contacted Byrne's agent asking him if there is any chance John would be able to add a sketch to my jam piece at Fan Expo Canada, unfortunately its on a page I'm providing and pencil only which doesn't follow Byrne's commission guide lines, but he still told me I should show it to him and ask. He never gave me the impression John wouldn't be sketching at those shows...but maybe that'll change if hundreds of fans show up in line. Crossing my fingers he has a fan package that includes a quick sketch from Byrne. 

I’m curious to see what kind of packages will be offered and their prices. As well, what type of items he will be signing, I.e. only IDW Star Trek comics he has worked on or will he also sign Superman, X-Men and FF books. Also, will the IDW Byrne Artists Edition books fall under his approved list. 

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck said:

I’m curious to see what kind of packages will be offered and their prices. As well, what type of items he will be signing, I.e. only IDW Star Trek comics he has worked on or will he also sign Superman, X-Men and FF books. Also, will the IDW Byrne Artists Edition books fall under his approved list. 

I really hope he isn't only signing Star Trek related items... I guess time will tell.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, CardiacKid1 said:

Me too.  This seems like it would be such a no-brainer good business decision by CGC.  

The opportunity appears to be there, in that Byrne appeared (and signed) at NYCC last fall and now has committed to two more con appearances.  He has clearly reversed his “don’t do ‘em, don't ask me” policy.  It seems to me a pleasant conversation making a S/S opportunity as easy (and profitable) for him as possible might do the trick. There would be a lot of pent-up demand which would explode if this came to pass.

Someone from CGC should chime in on this thread.

It's not about the money for him, it's about how he feels about comic books being placed in plastic cases. I would be incredibly shocked if he ever decided to do it again.

16 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

It's not about the money for him, it's about how he feels about comic books being placed in plastic cases. I would be incredibly shocked if he ever decided to do it again.

At least he is now willing to attend some conventions.  If only we could get Ditko to do the same thing.

Thing is with Byrne it could be the first step in turning around a LOT of the perceptions that several artists have (whether rightfully so or not) regarding the way CGC does business.  If BWS, Don Rosa, and Rob Liefield see Byrne sitting at a CGC Signature Series booth advocating the product don't you think it might at least open their minds to at least a conversation with CGC for doing business with them in the future?  Maybe, maybe not, some people just have a set mentality based on past experience that won't allow for the possibility of change, but I think most people would agree it's worth a shot just to see what would happen.

3 hours ago, Mayor006 said:

Thing is with Byrne it could be the first step in turning around a LOT of the perceptions that several artists have (whether rightfully so or not) regarding the way CGC does business.  If BWS, Don Rosa, and Rob Liefield see Byrne sitting at a CGC Signature Series booth advocating the product don't you think it might at least open their minds to at least a conversation with CGC for doing business with them in the future?  Maybe, maybe not, some people just have a set mentality based on past experience that won't allow for the possibility of change, but I think most people would agree it's worth a shot just to see what would happen.

Yes, but those guys are / were upset thinking fans were making phat stacks of cash off their names. That's not what this is about with John Byrne.

21 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Yes, but those guys are / were upset thinking fans were making phat stacks of cash off their names. That's not what this is about with John Byrne.

I get that, but like I said, "first step" in changing perceptions.  That doesn't necessarily have to be from the same reasoning even if it is because of the same company.

9 hours ago, Mayor006 said:

I get that, but like I said, "first step" in changing perceptions.  That doesn't necessarily have to be from the same reasoning even if it is because of the same company.

Have you read his thoughts on slabbed books on his forum? What would be the incentive for him to change his stance on this?

12 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Have you read his thoughts on slabbed books on his forum? What would be the incentive for him to change his stance on this?

Didn't he also say he doesn't do conventions?  If he changed his stance on that, couldn't he change his stance on slabbed books?  Personally, I don't think he will, but you never know.

10 minutes ago, Coach said:

Didn't he also say he doesn't do conventions?  If he changed his stance on that, couldn't he change his stance on slabbed books?  Personally, I don't think he will, but you never know.

I think this is a special thing because he's doing these appearances with Shatner as opposed to just going to a con. The last two he did were the Star Trek anniversary in Vegas and the Kirby anniversary at NYCC. It's pretty easy to find out, just go to his forum and ask him.

5 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I think this is a special thing because he's doing these appearances with Shatner as opposed to just going to a con. The last two he did were the Star Trek anniversary in Vegas and the Kirby anniversary at NYCC. It's pretty easy to find out, just go to his forum and ask him.

That's true, these are special appearances.  I believe someone did ask about signings/photos but Byrne didn't respond to it.  I guess we'll see what happens.

On 5/20/2018 at 7:24 PM, Captain Canuck said:

I wish IDW was doing a Signed Artist Edition. Similar to what they have done Sienkevich NEW MUTANTS or Keith THE MAXX

7 hours ago, Chett said:

I'd stack my XM 108-143 and suffer the cost for him to sign!

Sorry, I believe Byrne is only signing and promoting the Star Trek graphic novel in conjunction with fellow Canadian Wm Shatner. Which means no :blahblah: sigs on X-men, FF, Iron Fist, Marvel Team Up, Wheelie Chopper Bunch 1 & 3, Charlton's Doomsday +1, Emergency #1, E-man back up Rog-2000, Dark Horse Comics, DC, etc.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.