• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starhawk's first appearance?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Can anyone with more knowledge on this topic than I (which is pretty much everyone) explain why CGC does not note Starhawk's first 'full' appearance as Defenders #28 but does denote #27 instead?  Everything I read online states that #27 is his cameo and #28 is the full (and he's on the cover to #28).  I don't have the raw issues nor own either copy of the book in graded form but not sure which would be better to own (the cover to 28 is definitely more appealing, I think).

Thoughts?  Thanks, everyone, in advance!

Edited by Sensei Ryan

Good question, same as Gamora in Strange Tales 180 / 181. Shes in 5 panels, not named in 180. Named in 181. Only label note is on 180, "First Appearance of Gamora".

This happens with a lot of books honestly. It's what's decided by someone at some point.

If I had raw copies of the two I could compare them myself but Defenders #28 is definitely a more appealing cover so if he's in like 1 panel at the end of 27 (IDK if he is or not) then IMO someone made a mistake naming 27 as the 1st app.  Everything i see (other than the CGC labels) claims 27 is a cameo and 28 is the full.

Does anyone own the raws of the two to make a determination?  

19 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

If I had raw copies of the two I could compare them myself but Defenders #28 is definitely a more appealing cover so if he's in like 1 panel at the end of 27 (IDK if he is or not) then IMO someone made a mistake naming 27 as the 1st app.  Everything i see (other than the CGC labels) claims 27 is a cameo and 28 is the full.

Does anyone own the raws of the two to make a determination?  

I once did, but I sold them both as "the first appearance" :banana:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!  Does anyone have any pics of the panel(s)/pages Starhawk appears from in issue #27?  That might help make the case for which deserves to be the 1st appearance!

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Towards the end of Defenders 27.... it's this guy, right? 

Defenders27.thumb.jpg.411f33e0a6e41d8b2fa203b1983ef6fd.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this!  Can you tell me if he appears on any pages past this or only these panels on this page?

I guess that if it is just these two-five panels (depending on how you look at it) it seems enough to warrant a first appearance but if he's on another page I'd say that for sure.

Thanks again for posting them!

He appears only  in one panel as the golden figure towards the start of the issue, as in the first 4 panels on the page shown. No other appearances this issue. 

On 5/17/2018 at 7:30 PM, picon3 said:

I don't have the raw books in hand, but here's a comparison of the two covers.  Not even close in my mind.  Paul~

Defenders Vol 1 28Defenders Vol 1 27

It may not feature Starhawk, but I much prefer Defenders #27's cover by Gil Kane and John Romita to #28's typically mediocre effort by Rampaging Ron Wilson.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

16 hours ago, batmiesta said:

So! Just because we didn't know his name at that point, he didn't show up?? Even though he is clearly in two panels. o.O

Sure, he's there, I guess. Again, we don't know who it is. Perfect definition of a cameo.