• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

nickel city con buffalo NY 5/18 to 5/20/18
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Just checked the line up of comic dealers which is what I have the most interest in and correct me if I am wrong but I see only 6 dealers listed

dave and adams, superworld comics, filters comics, geeky comics, J & S, rogers comics and dans signs

Pretty sparse for a show that lists themselves as Buffalos largest comic con

Where are the COMICS in this con, Paulas doughnuts community beer works, gutter guard, new era cap company, I know it takes a large amount of funding and you have to appeal to the masses to run a comic con  but If you are interested in Comics what would you possibly need 3 days to go thru 6 dealers tables??.

I can see myself spending no more than 2 hours at a "show" like this hardly seems worth the time/effort  and gas/parking to attend. How about some old time cons where comics are the focus. Old school that's wha I am talking about

Thanks for the info.  I probably would have driven all the way over there and wasted tons of time.  Dave and Adams had a half price sale going on last year that was pretty good..

Not to spark a debate but the number of dealers was pretty good last year and the turn out just plain sucked.  I believe Greg Reese set up last year along with Zapp and since both are not back you get how well they did.  Dealers can't afford to lose money at a show and Buffalo just didn't bring out the buyers.  Maybe all the Buffalo buyers were over at Motor City but since its a 5 hour drive I'd think a bunch of local buyers would have flocked to Nickel City but they didn't.

1cool think you are right I checked the lineup for forums and although Hulk Hogan is making an appearance along with Jimmy hart and ricky steamboat,  no panel appearance listed yet. damn! ric flair and kevin nash  from what I can remember had a forum panel discussion shouldn't be that hard to give back something to the fans who show up for old time wrestlers at a show like this I live in buffalo have been a long time collector and set up at several of the October buffalo comic cons here a few years back but this type of con just is not my cup of tea.....guess I'm just old. I did hear that Greg reese was not too happy with sales at this one as well although I did spend around $700 for a asm #9 graded 6.5 a few years ago with him

29 minutes ago, anstettoman said:

1cool think you are right I checked the lineup for forums and although Hulk Hogan is making an appearance along with Jimmy hart and ricky steamboat,  no panel appearance listed yet. damn! ric flair and kevin nash  from what I can remember had a forum panel discussion shouldn't be that hard to give back something to the fans who show up for old time wrestlers at a show like this I live in buffalo have been a long time collector and set up at several of the October buffalo comic cons here a few years back but this type of con just is not my cup of tea.....guess I'm just old. I did hear that Greg reese was not too happy with sales at this one as well although I did spend around $700 for a asm #9 graded 6.5 a few years ago with him

I can't speak for Greg (or his group since I don't think he made it last year) but I know a few of the guys bought 3 - 4 booths which adds up quick.  factor in travel cost since none of them are local to Buffalo you need to sell quite a few books to even break even.  I was there mid day last year on a Saturday and it was just a ghost town.  Celebs sitting around talking to each other and only a handful of buyers roaming the floor.  I thought getting Hulk Hogan may bring in the local dealers and maybe some Canadian sellers but it looks like this Con is on the do not set up at list.

5 hours ago, anstettoman said:

Just checked the line up of comic dealers which is what I have the most interest in and correct me if I am wrong but I see only 6 dealers listed

dave and adams, superworld comics, filters comics, geeky comics, J & S, rogers comics and dans signs

Pretty sparse for a show that lists themselves as Buffalos largest comic con

Where are the COMICS in this con, Paulas doughnuts community beer works, gutter guard, new era cap company, I know it takes a large amount of funding and you have to appeal to the masses to run a comic con  but If you are interested in Comics what would you possibly need 3 days to go thru 6 dealers tables??.

I can see myself spending no more than 2 hours at a "show" like this hardly seems worth the time/effort  and gas/parking to attend. How about some old time cons where comics are the focus. Old school that's wha I am talking about

I'm so pissed superworld isn't at Motor city. :frustrated:

They are there like every year.  

They might've gotten more dealers and traffic if the show wasn't scheduled the same weekend as Motor City Comic Con.

Aside from being only a 4 hour drive from one another, if you're in it for the comics most would choose an established and better-known comic show like Motor City over Nickel Con, hands down.

I've got a bunch of books I want to drop off at CGC to save some shipping fees (I usually buy books already slabbed so my subbing is typically once or twice a year at cons).

I'm in Toronto for the next while (I split time between Toronto / NY), and given it's a short drive from Toronto, planning on going on the Sat and bringing cash! Given this is a newer con, guess they're not quite established yet. Hopefully there are some nice books around, and dealers willing to sell at fair prices.

i know roger (from roger and dans signs) will have plenty of 50 cent books as i sold him many bulk titles over the past few years. If you check craigs list buffalo there is a local con promoter Joe D who has a comic garage sale the same weekend as the con in North Tonawanda probably a 1/2 hr drive at most from the buffalo 

here is his info

COLLECTOR'S DREAM SALE!
3559 NORTHCREEK RUN, WHEATFIELD NY
FRI. & SAT. MAY 18 & 19, 9 AM TO 4 PM
RAIN OR SHINE! INDOOR SALE

Joe is a great guy as well and might be worth a look when you are finished with the dave and adams show  or if you are here on Friday for the comic con in buffalo anyway

21 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

They might've gotten more dealers and traffic if the show wasn't scheduled the same weekend as Motor City Comic Con.

Aside from being only a 4 hour drive from one another, if you're in it for the comics most would choose an established and better-known comic show like Motor City over Nickel Con, hands down.

River City Con is also this weekend in Pittsburgh. 3.5 hour drive.

Doesnt make any sense.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:
On 5/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, letsgrumble said:

River City Con is also this weekend in Pittsburgh. 3.5 hour drive.

Doesnt make any sense.

If they were held on separate weekends, I'd probably go to each one of them.

Unless I'm just not seeing it, there's not much going on in this region for a while.

I guess there's always the possibility of hitting one con per day Fri-Sat-Sun this weekend. :headbang: