• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

Dragonblade #1

Published by: Pokey Press Publications; Contributors: Oren Evers; aka Richard "Grass" Green(?) ; Date: 1981; Price: $1.00 (according Kennedy); Page Count: 20 pages unbound

Size: landscape mini (6.5 x 4.0) Kennedy #: 623; Print information: one printing; 100 copies

Oren Evers the "creator" of Dragonblade was first introduced to Pokey Press readers a few issues of his Fold Out Funnies series as the white, teenagish, comic artist who befriends Richard Green. I suspect that the character of Oren is merely a fictional persona of Green himself. Call it an educated guess.

Dragonblade #1 is the least rare and the first issue within the Dragonblade mini-comic trilogy. Green changes both his name and the direction of the content with the creation of Dragonblade. It's almost as if he were trying to branch out and cultivate an all G-rated audience.

d1.PNGd3.PNGd4.PNGd2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Major Comix (first printing)

Published by: Blue Moon Productions; Contributors: Alex Tamsula; Ben Adams; Brad W Foster; David Miller; Jerry Goebert; Jim Ryan; Jim Valentino; Kurt Haverstock; William ConnollyDate: 1982; Price: $2.00; Page Count: 22 pages unbound

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11.0) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: one printing; 47 copies; but may have been reprinted

Major Comix is probably the last Kennedy era release by Blue Moon Productions. It's content includes: new material; previously unpublished older material and some reprinted work. The two dollar cover price is the actual cost of producing two colour copies (front and back cover) in 1982.

Major Comix holds a number of distinctions, including:

1. its larger size - most BMP publications were digest sized;
  2. being the only BMP publication that contains full-colour print (covers)
  3. being one the rarest BMP publications - only about 47 copies were produced which were then divided among the individual contributors.

m1.PNGm4.PNGm5.PNGm6.PNGm7.PNGm8.PNGm2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Too Many Mickeez

Published by: Stray Kat Studios; Contributors: George Erling; Date: 1981; Price: giveaway; Page Count: 12 pages

Size: mini (4.25 x 4.5) Kennedy #: 2037; Print information: one printing; 33 initialed and numbered copies

I am sure that George Erling has caused many "Kennedy completists" to die from shattered dreams. He has been responsible for the creation of at least a half-a-dozen, low run titles that were never sold but simply given away.  From this collector: a curse to you Erling and to your many publications that I will never own.

t1.PNGt3.PNGt4.PNGt2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Brian Pinkerton's Comic and Stories #1

Published by: Fantasy Publications; Contributors: Brian Pinkerton; Date: 1978; Price: $1.00; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: digest (5.5 x 7.5) Kennedy #: 348; Print information: one printing; unknown copies

I am not too sure why Kennedy listed B.P's Comics and Stories in his guide. This is not a criticism of B.P's Comics and Stories, I definitely like it, but I am curious why Kennedy chose to list this specific publication and not the myriad of similar publications from the same era.

Brian Pinkerton's work up to that point, includes a fantasy fanzine series not surprisingly called Fantazine and a one-off zine called Weirdo. I would argue that both of those titles have a stronger association with the underground genre, than does BPCS #1. Kennedy's guide, Kennedy's choices.

b1.PNGb3.PNGb4.PNGb2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Big City Comix #2

Published by: James Gleespen; Contributors: James Gleespen; James Bourgeois; William Shipman; Date: 1981; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 30 pages

Size: magazine (9.0 x 11.0) Kennedy #: 261; Print information: unknown

Big City #2 breaks away from the required mantra (anti-establishment, sex and drugs) of the underground movement and arrives as an alternative. Strangely, Kennedy gives a guide price for both issues of the series just at their respective cover price - suggesting that both were fairly common to find.

b1.PNGb3.PNGb5.PNGb7.PNGb6.PNGb2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Collectors' Guide to Newave Comix

Published by: Comix World; Contributors: Clay Geerdes; Tom Brinkmann; Bill Sherman; Larry Fuller; David Miller; Byron Werner; Charles Schneider; Pat Daley; Dan O'Neill; Par Holman; George Erling; Walter Rodgers; Jim Ryan; Jamie Alder; Bruce Chrislip; Richard Krauss; Eric Vincent; Dan Taylor; Bob Vojtko; Alex Tamsula; Hunt Emerson; Roger May; Marc Myers; David Noon; Doug Hansen; John Edgar; Jim Valentino; Wayne Gibson; Clark Dissmeyer; Jim Siergey; Jerry Goebert; Brad Foster; Rick Geary; Gary Hardman; John Valandingham; Date: 1981; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: comic (7.0 x 8.5) Kennedy #: 483; Print information: one printing; 325 copies

I had enough difficulties with attempting to accurately list everyone involved with this book and probably still got it wrong. I really cannot imagine what sort of nightmare Geerdes must have experienced with coordinating the "Who's Who of Newave" by mail/phone in order to publish this guide.

It's a great idea to have everyone list (and also advertise) their individual publications together as a newave guide. It does contain a few surprises for the collector and does provide some in-sight on how/why some non-Kennedy listed books are considered by some to be newave/underground. There are approximately over 80 US-based and 24 UK-based titles cited in the CGNC that do not appear in Kennedy or the Illustrated Checklist.

C8.PNGc2.PNGc3.PNG.9c97604ff162c1cbbb5441b649fd799a.PNG

c4.PNGc5.PNGc1.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Gross

Published by: Bobby Sommerkamp; Contributors: Bobby Sommerkamp; Brad Foster; Scott Gilbert; Marl Helke; George Brown; Lori Davidson; Peter Cocking; Date: 1981; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 16 pages

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.5) Kennedy #: 913; Print information: one printing; 100 copies

Another EC horror homage from some newave artists who were probably inspired by the genre as children.

g1.PNGg3.PNGg4.PNGg5.PNGg2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

On 8/22/2018 at 12:52 PM, CDNComix said:

Collectors' Guide to Newave Comix

Published by: Comix World; Contributors: Clay Geerdes; Tom Brinkmann; Bill Sherman; Larry Fuller; David Miller; Byron Werner; Charles Schneider; Pat Daley; Dan O'Neill; Par Holman; George Erling; Walter Rodgers; Jim Ryan; Jamie Alder; Bruce Chrislip; Richard Krauss; Eric Vincent; Dan Taylor; Bob Vojtko; Alex Tamsula; Hunt Emerson; Roger May; Marc Myers; David Noon; Doug Hansen; John Edgar; Jim Valentino; Wayne Gibson; Clark Dissmeyer; Jim Siergey; Jerry Goebert; Brad Foster; Rick Geary; Gary Hardman; John Valandingham; Date: 1981; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: comic (7.0 x 8.5) Kennedy #: 483; Print information: one printing; 325 copies

The most important page is missing!

Starfood Comics - Capt. Bushboogie & Co.

Published by: Colorado State University Extension Service; Contributors: Artie Romero; Mel Grier; Mike Gorden; Date: 1978; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: comic (7.0 x 8.5) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

How many people know that the artwork for the B'ad minibook (Everyman Studios) was first used in a two story, educomic flipbook? I did not, until a fellow collector (VM) noticed a strange front cover posted on-line that used "Starfood" instead of "B'ad" in its title. Both sides of Starfood Comics - Capt. Bushboogie were intended to entertain while educating young people about food and nutrition.

Starfood was published at least full year before B'ad and is the source of all of its artwork and panel layouts. Romero merely reused the art and replaced the dialogue to create a mini book story about psychoactive drugs. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Tune-In, Turn-On and Drop-Out.

b1.PNGb3.PNGb5.PNG

b2.PNGb6.PNGb7.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

2 hours ago, comixbible said:

The most important page is missing! 

There you go, British Boy. Yes, the second last page of the Collectors' Guide to Newave Comix has a listing of underground material from the UK. Some of which, is rarely heard of, talked about or even seen.

uk.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Gas Comix #1

Published by: Vulcan Gas Company; Contributors: Jim Franklin; John Shelton; Michael Brown; Date: 1970; Price: 5 cents; Page Count: 12 pages unbound

Size: comic (6.25 x 9.0) Kennedy #: 817; Print information: unknown

Gas Comix #2

Published by: Vulcan Gas Company; Contributors: Jim Franklin; Bill Walsh; John Shelton; Michael Brown; Rick Turner; Gayle; Jim Harter; Date: 1970; Price: 15 cents; Page Count: 16 pages

Size: comic (6.25 x 9.0) Kennedy #: 818; Print information: unknown

Franklin lays down two more stones in the foundation of underground collecting. I suspect his motivation was to join the party at the underground movement while promoting his poster/print business. Neither title is in the "crazy rare" category, but both are definitely not easy or inexpensive (usually). I would say that Gas #1 appears on market about half as frequently as Gas #2.

Ahh, to be able to go back in time  and to be able to: buy five sets of these beauties for only a dollar and maybe to do something useful like kill Hitler.

g5.PNGg8.PNGg10.PNGg6.PNG

g1.PNGg3.PNGg4.PNGg2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

On 8/24/2018 at 11:10 AM, CDNComix said:

There you go, British Boy. Yes, the second last page of the Collectors' Guide to Newave Comix has a listing of underground material from the UK. Some of which, is rarely heard of, talked about or even seen.

uk.PNG

On behalf of the Queen, I thank you.

Douglas Bryson's "Folded Cardboard"

Published by: self-published; Contributors: Douglas Bryson; Date: unknown; Price: no stated price; Page Count: slotted, tabbed and folded cardboard sheet

Size: pamphlet (4.25 x 9.0) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

Some collectors draw the line at non-comic book items and others will buy limited edition, Fritz the Cat runners. If Douglas Bryson did some commercial graphic work on the boxes for a line of feminine hygiene products, I would probably collect those boxes. I do not think that Folded Cardboard is super-rare, but I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed it for the first time only about two years ago.

b1.PNGb2.PNGb3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Aero into the Aether

Published by: Black Swan Press; Contributors: Hal Hammel; Robert Fudd; Franklin Rosemont; Philip Lamantia; Ashton Smith; Date: 1980; Price: $1.25; Page Count: 32 pages;

Size: comic (7.0 x 10.0) Kennedy #: 26; Print information: unknown

Song of an Aeropterxx

Published by: Black Swan Press; Contributors: Hal Hammel; Ladonna Smith; Davey Williams; Date: 1983; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: comic (8.75 x 8.0) Kennedy #: post Kennedy; Print information: unknown

A beautiful pair of "brother and sister" set of comics by Hal Hammel. His distinctive high-contrast, B&W, surrealist style is inspired by the music and poetry that he and his friends create. Aeropterxx includes a small record of musical recordings. I do not believe either of these titles to be rare, but neither appears on the market that frequently.

a5.PNGa7.PNGa8.PNGa6.PNG

a1.PNGa3.PNGa4.PNGa2.PNG.0fc0d2dc79ccd5f813edd09d5a0f8bcd.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Collections of Rejections #1 and #2

Published by: self published; Contributors: David Miller; Date: 1981; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.50) Kennedy #: 480 and 481; Print information: one printing; 200 copies

This situation is encountered more than once in the underground/newave genre - you're an aspiring artists, but you cannot seem to find anyone to publish or buy your work. It's probably one of the main reasons why the newave movement started. With the creation of these minis, Miller finally is able to publish some of his early comic panel work and get some release.

c1.PNGc2.PNGc4.PNGc6.PNGc7.PNGc8.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Skreefer Madness

Published by: Comadre Productions; Contributors: David Roman; Don Grant: Maryanne Moss; Glenda Davis; Von Dibbel; Brig Wieller; T. Renizen; F. Bandito; Arthur C. Clamp: Date: 1977; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 44 pages

Size: magazine (6.5 x 4.0) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: one printing; 1000 copies but many were destroyed

A skreefer is a tool that is used by tree planters and Skreefer Madness is another tool that was designed for their entertainment. Probably only around 250 copies made into the marketplace, since a majority of the print run was destroyed in a house fire while in storage. I was lucky enough to have a collecting friend (VM) point out its existence to me about 2 years ago and it took nearly that long to find a decent copy.

s1.PNGs3.PNGs4.PNG

s5.PNGs6.PNGs2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Cap'n Retro #2 (first and second printing)

Published by: self published; Contributor: Douglas Bryson Date: 1978; Price: no cover price; Page Count: single folded sheet; 4 pages

Size: digest (5.5 x 8.5) Kennedy #: 380; Print information: two printings; 100 copies each

I enjoy tracking down all Bryson's material including any later printings of an issue. But I had some difficulty finding or distinguishing really, the two different printings of Cap'n Retro #2. Kennedy makes it clear the first printing has white paper guts and the second has newsprint guts. Nothing about yellow colour. Higher quality newsprint can be quite white and can remain that way over time.

I have been told by a comix creator that the "newsprint" of the second printing would be better described as yellow antique, 20 lb. card stock.  I have shown both side-by-side as a comparasion.

c1.PNGc2.PNGc3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Portable Fanzine

Published by: Travelling Information Center; Contributors: Clay Geerdes; Jim Siergey; Rick McCollum; Doug Hansen; Rick Mirozek; Mike Streff; Fred Burkhart; Date: 1975; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: newspaper (11.5 x 15.5) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

Portable Fanzine - '76 Underground Special Edition

Published by: Travelling Information Center; Contributors: Harvey Kurtzman: Clay Geerdes; Jim Siergey; Rick Mirozek; Doug Hansen; Mike Streff; Fred Burkhart; Date: 1976; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: newspaper (11.5 x 15.5) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

I first became aware of these two newspaper fanzines from the Collectors' Guide to Newave Comix. Both issues should be definitely considered to be underground related and deserve collecting, because of: who was involved with the publication; the nature of the artwork and the subject matter of the text portions. Why these publications were skipped by Kennedy and the Illustrated Checklist, I cannot understand. The second issue was called "76 Underground Special Edition"!

p6.PNGp8.PNGp9.PNGp7.PNG

p1.PNGp3.PNGp4.PNGp5.PNGp2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Zippyscope

Published by: Raw Books; Contributors: Bill Griffith; Date: 1979; Price: NA; Page Count: NA;

Size: box (4.25 x 2.25 x 2.25) Kennedy #: 2313; Print information: 100 signed and numbered copies

The Zippyscope is one of the most unique items listed by Kennedy or within the underground collecting sphere. It's basically a viewing box for a spooled, 287 panel, Zippy cartoon called the "The Enigmatic Donut". Kennedy cites a release date of "late 70s" and Bill Griffith on website states 1980. My viewer still has its original shipping box that is post marked May 1979. 

z4.PNGz6.PNG

z7.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Comix Convention #0

Published by: self published; Contributors: Bob Vojtko; Date: 1976; Price: 20 cents; Page Count: one double folded page plus an insert

Size: digest (4.25 x 7.0) Kennedy #: 504; Print information: one printing; 100 copies

Comix Convention #1

Published by: self published; Contributors: Bob Vojtko; Date: 1976; Price: 20 cents; Page Count: two double folded pages

Size: digest (4.25 x 7.0) Kennedy #: 505; Print information: one printing; 100 copies

Kennedy describes the intent of Comix Convention was to provide a listing publication of comix conventions. But most of the content is comprised of Vojtko's cartoon work and his own ads soliciting ad space for the next up-coming issue. I believe that maybe only one true convention was listed in either issue.

b4.PNGb6.PNGb5.PNG

b1.PNGb3.PNGb2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix