• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2018 at 6:43 PM, CDNComix said:

Aero into the Aether

Published by: Black Swan Press; Contributors: Hal Hammel; Robert Fudd; Franklin Rosemont; Philip Lamantia; Ashton Smith; Date: 1980; Price: $1.25; Page Count: 32 pages;

Size: comic (7.0 x 10.0) Kennedy #: 26; Print information: unknown

Song of an Aeropterxx

Published by: Black Swan Press; Contributors: Hal Hammel; Ladonna Smith; Davey Williams; Date: 1983; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: comic (8.75 x 8.0) Kennedy #: post Kennedy; Print information: unknown

A beautiful pair of "brother and sister" set of comics by Hal Hammel. His distinctive high-contrast, B&W, surrealist style is inspired by the music and poetry that he and his friends create. Aeropterxx includes a small record of musical recordings. I do not believe either of these titles to be rare, but neither appears on the market that frequently.

a5.PNGa7.PNGa8.PNGa6.PNG

a1.PNGa3.PNGa4.PNGa2.PNG.0fc0d2dc79ccd5f813edd09d5a0f8bcd.PNG

https://www.halrammel.com/graphic-art-1/

R*publicans from Outer Space

Published by: self published; Contributors: Larry Rippee; Date: 1981; Price: no price; Page Count: 10 printed cards in a single folded sheet holder

Size: unfolded sheet (8.5 x 14.0); cards (3.5 x 5.5); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

I was not aware of the existence of this item until very recently. Who actually knows that Larry Rippee produced a non-comic, Dadaist item in response to the R*publican invasion of the early 80s. That fact is almost as strange as the actual item.

r1.PNGr3.PNGr2.PNGr4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

All Stars

Published by: Golden Gate; Contributors: Ron Foss; Roger Brand; Mike Vosberg; Bill White; Steve Ditko;  Date: 1965; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 20 pages

Size: digest (5.5 x 8.25); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

All Stars "2"

Published by: San Francisco Comic Book Co.; Contributors: numerous see image of inner cover;  Date: 1970; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 78 pages with taped binding

Size: digest (8.5 x 11.75); Kennedy #: 47; Print information: unknown

The focus here is on the rare silver age fanzine and not its more common underground second issue. I always have always been fascinated by the possible connections between the two publications. I have tried to find the complete story behind why Gary Arlington and perhaps some of the contributors to All Stars "2" decided to create this homage. If you know the answer then please post it.

Arlington goes out of his way to include work from the original contributors of AS in AS"2" and to credit its publishers Arbunich and duBay. A lesson that he sadly forgot when he published his Nickel Library series and landed on the wrong side of Bill Gaines, three years later.

a4.PNGa5.PNGa6.PNG

a3.PNGa1.PNGa2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, CDNComix said:

Real World Comix

Published by: Self Published Contributor: Errol McCarthy Date: 1974 Price: no cover price Page Count: 36 pages

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11) Kennedy #: 1669 Print information: only one printing, 325 copies

This "must have" has everything that an underground collector could hope for: great cover covers, true underground content and professional production values. Its creator later went on to find success assisting Mattel with building its He-Man merchandizing empire. What's peculiar to me is there were only 325 copies produced, of which Kennedy states that only 200 copies were distributed by Kitchen Sink. To explain the low print run, I was expecting a "1000 copies were produced but most copies were destroyed by the printer or a fire" story, but I cannot find any evidence to support that theory.

RW10.PNGRW 2.PNG

Yeah, I am surprised by how few were made. The front cover at least looks professional and features better art than most DC and Marvel comics of the era.

Conjure

Published by: Thomas Sciacca; Contributors: George and Yvette Perez; Thomas Sciacca: Ross Wood; Bill Maher;  Date: 1974; Price: 75 cents; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: digest (7.0 x 8.50); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: 100 copies

In a few months of his Marvel debut, George Perez was the main contributor to this adult fantasy-zine. You caught me, it's not a true underground, but it's close enough for me.

c1.PNGc7.PNGc5.PNG

c6.PNGc4.PNGc2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Cosmic Circus Newsletter vol.1 no.1

Published by: Cosmic Comic Co.; Contributors: Regg "Rey" King; Date: 1974; Price: no price; Page Count: single one-sided page

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11.0); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

With the exception of maybe two publications, anything from Cosmic Circus is a tough and sometimes next to impossible find. This is why I was thrilled to recently "discover" the existence of this one-page, newsletter. According to the newsletter, California residents could opt for a two dollar annual membership in the Cosmic Circus and receive a certificate, two magazines and three newsletters. I have never come across a membership certificate or any other issues of the newsletter.

d1.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Moose #1

Published by: Donald V. Cook; Contributors: Donald V. Cook; Tom Cole: David Tardiff; Margaret Ginn; Jerry Forrest; Bob Bryant; Paul Fritze; John Hasset; Richard Whitish; Peter Buotte;  Date: 1981; Price: one dollar; Page Count: 20 pages

Size: digest (5.5 x 8.5); Kennedy #: 1313; Print information: unknown

When I received my copy of Moose #1, I thought that there was a chance that I had made a mistake and had inadvertently purchased another item with a similar name to the Kennedy listed publication. Surprisingly, no I got it correct. It's basically an amateur, roadside-tourist, humour publication, not an underground. I am going to assume that the up-coming issues that are advertised in the subscription ad, were never launched. I do not know what would upset me more: paying $10 for 12 unpublished issues or actually receiving them.

m1.PNGm2.PNGm3.PNGm5.PNGm4.PNGm6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Great Canadian Shimegly Follies #1 and #2

Published by: self published.; Contributors: #1 (Danny David Daulby, Hugh Roche); #2 (Danny David Daulby); Date: #1 (1975); #2 (1978); Price: #1 (no cover price); #2 (35 cents); Page Count: #1 (20 pages); #2 (8 pages);

Size: #1 (11.0 x 17.0); #2 (8.5 x 11.0); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information:  #1 (one printing; 1500 signed and numbered copies, but most were destroyed by fire); #2 (one printing of 250 copies);

David Daulby is a Metis artist from western Canada who produced a little known, double issue comix series called Great Canadian Shimegly Follies. Both issues are tough finds even within Canada. The first issue was made even more difficult after a fire destroyed nearly all copies except for about a 100 survivors. Tornadoes may be attracted to trailer parks, but fire seems to follow stockpiles of underground comix.

g1.PNGg3.PNGg4.PNGg2.PNG

g5.PNGg7.PNGg8.PNGg6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

The Adventures of Kaptain Kopter & Commander Cassidy in Potatoland

Published by: Rhino Records; Contributors: Craig Moore; Date: 1981; Price: album insert; Page Count: 16 pages

Size: magazine (8.0 x 10.5); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

Not rare and known to most collectors, the comic insert for 1981 this "Spirit" album was skipped by Kennedy. To me at least, nothing says underground more than two hippies travelling to place called Potatoland in their magic Kopter. The artwork is definitely underground/psychedelic inspired and top notch. I have read some on-line underground blog requests to have it included it in the last edition of the Fugg, I do not think it made it into the edition and I am really not to sure why it did not.

p1.jpgp1.PNGp4.PNGp2.PNGp3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Here!

Published by: Whim; Contributors: Matt Howarth; Date: 1977; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: mini (2.0 x 5.5); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

Matt Howarth and his efforts were on Kennedy's radar. I count at least 8 Howski Studios publications that were cited in his guide, but this is one of many more that were either missed or intentionally skipped by him.

h1.PNGh3.PNG

h4.PNGh2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Original Fresno First Coloring Book

Published by: Penny Candy Bookstore and Poster Factory; Contributors: Doug Hansen; Carole Gostanian; Date: 1973; Price: no price; Page Count: 28 page book with covering envelope holder

Size: tabloid (11.0 x 14.0); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: 10,000 copies

I know it's not an underground or even close to being rare. But how many people know that Doug Hansen produced such a cool peripheral during his peak period for underground production? If interested, there currently is an on-line Fresno souvenir store that seems to be selling remainder issues (without the envelope holder) for $20.

f1.PNGf2.PNGf4.PNGf5.PNGf3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Fools' Parade Funny Papers #1

Published by: Fools' Parade Funny Papers; Contributors: Josef Beery; Gregory Bull; Rosamond Casey: Erin Garvey: Jim Gibson: Neal Gropen; Kelly Lonergan; GB McIntosh; Mary Parsons; Charles Peale; Robin Richard; Laura Roseberry; Pat Sachs; Mike Trimpe; Boyd Zenner; Date: April 1983; Price: "absolutely free"; Page Count: 16 pages

Size: tabloid (11.0 x 15.5); Kennedy #: post Kennedy; Print information: unknown

An all artwork/comic, alternative newspaper giveaway from Charlottesville, Viriginia. The artwork is surprisingly strong for an unknown regional effort.

f1.PNGf2.PNGf4.PNGf3.PNGf5.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Absurd Comix #1

Published by: self published; Contributors: Bobby Sommerkamp; Jesse Sommerkamp; Clifford Meth; Date:1978; Price: 25 cents; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: mini (5.5 x 4.5); Kennedy #: 7; Print information: one printing; 200 copies

Bobby Sommerkamp's body of mini comics are not very early or extremely rare in the sense of production.  But for whatever reason, his titles are usually a relatively tough find when compared to other titles with similar run numbers and productions dates.

a1.PNGa2.PNGa3.PNGa4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Book of Art Series #1-12

Published by: self published; Contributors: Dan Taylor (all issues); Par Holman (#3, 4, 5, 8); Garry Hardman (#4, 11); Robert Polio (#5); Walter Rogers (#6); Tim Fuller (#6, 10); Jim Ryan (#7, 9, 10, 12); Brad Foster (#7, 9); George Erling (#8); Dave Patterson (#10, 11, 12); Clark Dissmeyer (#11, 12); Alex Tamsula (#11); Clay Geerdes (#9); Ben Adams (#11); Tom Brinkmann (#11); Marc Meyers (#12);  Date: 1979 - 1981; Price: varies; Page Count: various

Size: all minis (4.25 x 5.50) except for the digest sized (5.5 x 8.50) #1 and #10; Kennedy #: 316 - 327; Print information: one printing 100 signed numbered copies

Dan Taylor's Book of Art was really a difficult series for me to close. It took me at least 3 years to find all the copies from start to finish, including the hand coloured #2 variant. My quick review of the entire series to get the information for this posting was sort of like watching a young couple start a family together. As time progresses, the number of members in the family grows and their abilities mature. Not bad, considering that issue #1 began as single folded sheet from one sole contribution

d1.PNGd2.PNGd3.PNGd4.PNG

d5.PNGd6.PNGd7.PNGd8.PNG

d9.PNGd10.PNGd11.PNGd13.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Scratchatune

Published by: Scratchatune Publishing; Contributors: Dave Geary; Don Freed;  Date: 1981; Price: insert giveaway; Page Count: 12 pages

Size: large comic (7.5 x 10.0; Kennedy #: 1752; Print information: one printing, number of copies unknown

No mystery here, look at the front and back cover and all of basic details behind Scratchatune have been spoon fed to you. I did chat with Don Freed about the project and he told me that he personally attached (not inserted) copies to the first release of his album Off in All Directions. Unfortunately, he was able to recall how many copies of the publication were produced.

s1.PNGs3.PNGs4.PNGs2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Mimeo Graff Laffs

Published by: Yoonie Press; Contributors: Jim Siergey; Tim Roberts;  Date: Oct 1973; Price: 5 cents; Page Count: 11 single sided pages

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11.0); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: one printing, 20-100 copies, depending on the source cited

An early school-zine by Jim Siergey, who reported in his ad/space from the Comix Collectors' Guide that 100 copies were produced but later reported that maybe only 20 copies were produced in a recent on-line interview. Also according to Siergey, Tim Roberts' contributed only on the last page - NRA/Nixon ad. This is the only example of a "mimi", underground comix that I have in my collection and I would be hard-pressed to think of another example. I would consider Jay Kinney's Nope series to be more of an underground fanzine, rather than a true comix.

m1.PNGm2.PNGm3.PNGm4.PNGm5.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Books of Zomxathxia vol. 1

Published by: Calendar Press; Contributors: Wendy M. Snow; Date: October 1976; Price: 75 cents; Page Count: 32 pages

Size: small comic (6.0 x 9.0); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: one printing, 1,000 copies

Books of Zomxathxia vol. 2

Published by: self-published; Contributors: Wendy M. Snow; Frank Thorne; Fred Knecht; Glenn Gallegos; Alison Scott; Date: 1977; Price: one dollar; Page Count: 44 pages

Size: small comic (6.0 x 9.0); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: one printing, 1,000 copies

Red Sonja Blues

Published by: self-published; Contributors: Wendy M. Snow; Date: 1976; Price: 10 cents; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: small comic (6.0 x 8.5); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

I realize that the Books of Zomxathxia are not in anyway rare, but I would like to point out that Red Sonja Blues probably is. These publications have something in common:

1. all three were created by Wendy Snow;
  2. all three were not listed by Kennedy (he probably considered them to be sword and sorcery-zines and not true undergrounds);
  3. Books of Zomxathxia vol. 1 and Red Sonja Blues were listed in the Illustrated Checklist.

If you are a completist collector, Kennedy and/or IC, then some decisions have to made about what belongs in your "underground" collection. I think that you can figure out my POV from this posting.

b1.PNGb2.PNGb3.PNGb4.PNG

b5.PNGb6.PNGb7.PNGb8.PNG

b9.PNGb10.PNGb11.PNGb12.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

On 8/8/2018 at 2:06 PM, CDNComix said:

anthropologists (who are considered by other scholars to be the nerdy freaks of the academic world, especially those residing on Canada's east coast)

Hey, I think I know a few of these types. They can't be trusted as comic collectors. They tend to be too interested in "culture" and "context" and stuff like that.

Horrible Misunderstandings #2 (first and second printings)

Published by: Everyman Comics/Studios; Contributors: Rogererio; Roger May; Artie Romero; Melinda Gebbie; Bruce Simon; Pete von Sholly; Revilo; Date: 1980; Price: 35 cents; Page Count: 8 pages

Size:  1st white digest (4.25 x 7.0); 2nd yellow mini (4.25 x 5.5) Kennedy #: 1006; Print information: unknown

Kennedy was only able to fully describe the second printing of Horrible Misunderstandings #2 in his guide. All he indicated about the first printing was that it may be a white Xerox with a one dollar cover price. He was half correct, since the first printing has a 35 cent cover price. I contacted Artie Romero a couple of years ago when attempting to get information regarding the print runs of both printings. He unfortunately was unable to recall the exact numbers, but felt that the first may have had only a total run of 25 copies, but he was not certain.

h1.PNGh2.PNGh3.PNGh4.PNGh5.PNG

Edited by CDNComix