• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

Nice Day Comix

Published by: self published; Contributors: Scott Maceachron; Randy Crawford; Date: 1979; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages;

Size: small comic (5.5 x 8.5); Kennedy #: 1369; Print information: one printing; 1000 copies;

A comic with a pretty cover for its weaker insides.

n1.PNGn2.PNGn3.PNG

n4.PNGn5.PNGn6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Charmaugagogmanchaugagogcharbunagungamaug Comix And Stories

Published by: Nice Day Comix; Contributors: Randy Crawford; Date: 1981; Price: $2.95; Page Count: 60 pages;

Size: small comic (5.5 x 8.5); Kennedy #: 437; Print information: one printing; 500 signed and numbered copies;

After writing out that title, I got nothing else to give.

c1.PNGc2.PNGc3.PNG

c4.PNGc5.PNGc6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

8-1/2" x 11" Comix #1 and #2

Published by: Angstrom Publications; Contributors: Luke Jaeger (#1 and #2); Jonathan Lethem (#2); Date: 1982 and 1983; Price: $1.00; Page Count: 16 pages; #1 unbound

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11.0); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: one printing;

An interesting comix-zine out of Brooklyn that were sold on the streets (and subways) of New York by its creator, Luke Jaeger. Avid hipster readers should be able to recognize Jaeger's childhood friend, Jonathan Lethem who contributed a story to the second issue. They apparently used to go on double dates together while they were attending the High School of Music and Art in New York. A friend of mine recently contacted Jaeger and was told about a third issue with a colour cover that was released in 1985.

e1.PNGe2.PNGe3.PNG

e4.PNGe5.PNGe6.PNG

e7.PNGe8.PNGe9.PNG

e10.PNGe11.PNGe12.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Fever Pitch #1-#4 (first printings)

Published by: self published; Contributors: Brad Foster (#1-4); John Mahomet (#2-#4); John Cosgriff (#2); Bob Vojtko (#2 and #4); Rick McCollum (#3-#4); Douglas Bryson (#3-#4); Mark Heike (#3-#4); David Rose (#3); Nasty (#3); Randy Crawford (#3); Randy Rustin (#3); Clay Geerdes (#3-#4); Larry Heller (#3); Al Sirois (#3); Gary Whitney (#3); Jim Jones (#3); Jim Valentino (#4); Bruce Dey (#4); Teddy Harvia (#4); Parley Holman (#4); Bill Black (#4); R.C. Harvey (#4); Clifford Neal (#4); Beatty (#4); John Howard (#4); Eric Vincent (#4); Charles Smith (#4); John Crum (#4); Richard Bruning (#4); Mitch O'Connell (#4); Bill Pearson (#4); Larry Dickson (#4);

Date: #1 and #2 (1978); #3 (1979); #4 (1980); Price: progressive: $1.00; $1.50; $1.75; $2.00; Page Count: progressive: 20, 32, 44, 72  pages;

Size: digest (5.5 x 8.5); Kennedy #: 727-730; Print information: more than one printing; #1 (first): 100 signed, numbered and hand coloured copies; #2 (first): 250 signed, numbered and hand coloured copies; #3 (first): 400 copies; #4 (first): unknown

Fever Pitch started as attempt by Foster to use leftover portfolio drawings of busty women that were leftover from the Superchicks. It quickly blossomed into a series that grew in price, number of pages, number of contributors, number of copies and breast size with each issue. To demand the series was reprinted and continued another 4 issues beyond those cited by Kennedy. Beyond the great illustrated views, some of the later issues have decent articles. Like most, I read Fever Pitch for the articles.

f1.PNGf2.PNGf3.PNGf4.PNG

f5.PNGf6.PNGf7.PNGf8.PNG

f9.PNGf10.PNGf11.PNGf12.PNG

f13.PNGf14.PNGf15.PNGf16.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Homage to the Nose (signed and numbered edition)

Published by: self published; Contributors: G.J. Stein; Gary Kwapicz; Richard N. Wayne; Date:1980; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages;

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.5); Kennedy #: 995; Print information: one printing of 300 copies; 80 numbered and signed copies;

There many examples of undergrounds that focus on anatomical parts of the human body, usually the parts that are for adults only. Richard Wayne is probably the only underground creator original enough to focus and decicate a work on the human nose.

h1.PNGh2.PNGh3.PNG

h4.PNGh5.PNGh6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

The Ronnie Rat Show

Published by: Ink Works; Contributors: Rich Chevat; Dino Ewing; Date: 1982; Price: one dollar; Page Count: 24 pages;

Size: comic (7.5 x 9.5); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: one printing of 1,000 copies;

A common but a more than-better-than-average underground that was likely published post the Kennedy guide. Some collectors may have noticed an interesting variation in colour between some examples of Ronnie Rat covers. On some covers, blacks appear as blue-green and the reds drift from a dark pink to a deep scarlet. I checked with one of the creators and he reports the differences were not intentional but were due to variations within the print run.

r1.PNGr6.PNGr7.PNGr8.PNG

r2.PNGr3.PNG

r4.PNGr5.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Pontiac Tempura

Published by: self published; Contributors: Carol Lay; Byron Werner; Joel Milke; Date: 1980; Price: one dollar; Page Count: 12 pages;

Size: magazine (8.25 x 10.75); Kennedy #: 1559; Print information: one printing; 450 signed copies;

Carol Lay (Japanese Monster) and Byron Werner (Famous Potatoes, see page 3 of this thread) team-up to produce this delightfully strange "comic". Their mutual friend, Joel Milke (Heebie Jeebie Funnies and Hollywood Fats) was enlisted to handle production and printing.

It's pretty rare (for whatever reason) for a 500 copies book and has a surprising on-line sales interval of about only once every five years. Kennedy had cited in his guide that copies were signed. My copy is not and the other two examples from on-line sales also aren't. I emailed Carol Lay about this and received the following non-committal "I don’t remember if we signed and numbered any of them — it sounds like something we might have done". 

p1.PNGp2.PNGp3.PNG

p4.PNGp5.PNGp6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Great thread. Lots of really fun stuff. Does anyone in here have any scans from the Rick Griffin story in Zap #11? I just picked up on of the oversized prelims and was curious to see how it compares to the more polished finished work.

Holy Ghost Zapped Comix #1 (1973 edition)

Published by: Logos International; Contributor: Steve Gregg; Date: 1973; Price: 35 cents; Page count: 44 pages;

Size: digest; (5.5 x 8.0); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: unknown;

Listed earlier in this thread (page 16) are three Christian comix” published by the Sonday Funnies in the mid-70s. These books emulated the “underground-style” to attract young readers and hopefully spark their interest with the gospels. First use of this approach probably might be credited to Steve Gregg, Logos International and the four Holy Ghost Zapped Comix (HGZC):

• Holy Ghost Zapped Comix (1971)
  • The Growthbook (1971)
  • New Creature Comix (1972)
  • Jews for Jesus (1973)

The series was not identified by Kennedy but was described in the last Fogel Guide. The edition of HGZC #1 described in the guide is a little different than example posted below. The posted copy has a later copyright of 1973 on its front cover and is an inch shorter than the 9 inch tall, 1971 edition described by Fogel. There is no mention of any later printings/editions within the guide.

Unfortunately, the Holy Ghost Zapped Comix series seems to be within the range of rare to very rare. To date, very few examples of any issue have been offered in the on-line market. A basic on-line check of past sales reveals only six posted images of HGZC #1 - all of which seem to be the 1973 edition and not the earlier edition as described by Fogel.

z1.PNGz2.PNGz3.PNG

z4.PNGz5.PNGz6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Bludwart the Brash

Published by: self-published; Contributor: Parley L. HolmanDate: 1974; Price: 50 cents; Page count: 24 pages;

Size: comic; (6.5 x 9.75); Kennedy #: 303; Print information: one printing; 450 copies;

Par Holman may be best known as a constant contributor to the newave minis scene, especially many of the Clay Geerdes/Comix World titles from the late 70s onwards. But fewer probably know that Holman self-published in 1974 a solo, full-sized comic spoof of the barbarian genre called Bludwart. The content of Bludwart is surprisingly safe and g-rated. Maybe the lack support from a publisher/distributor caused Holman to play-it-safe and not to toy with boundaries.

b1.PNGb2.PNGb3.PNG

b4.PNGb5.PNGb6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Mirrors of Time

Published by: Nova News; Contributors: Britt Wilkie; Tom Veitch; Date: 1971; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 28 pages;

Size: comic (6.75 x 9.75); Kennedy #: 1269Print information: unknown;

I do not know how to describe someone like Britt Wilkie. He's part artist, poet, activist, philosopher and bullsh*t-mathematician. Add up all of those "parts" and a publication like Mirrors of Time might be the result. This uncommon "comic" is Wilkie's is argument for disarmament through the use of his Nova Formula. According to him the Nova Formula clearly proves (without using mathematics!) that "History is the inverted mirror of radioactive decay". Makes me suspect that the Owsley acid being sold in San Francisco at the time is a lot stronger than anyone thought.

m1.PNGm2.PNGm3.PNG

m4.PNGm5.PNGm6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

SCASM #2

Published by: Syracuse Comic Art Society; Contributors: Mike Pardo; Larry McLend; David Kidd; David Borchart; Mike Dagenasis; Joe Shlabotnik; Buddy La Mars; O. Drap; Mark Penberthy; Tom Kidd; John Pierard; David Petrie; Tina Anderson; Date: 1975; Price: 75 cents; Page Count: 56 pages;

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11.0); Kennedy #: 1741Print information: unknown;

A rare student-zine from the University of Syracuse. The first issue titled ICON was a article-based comic fanzine and was retooled into the comic format for its second issue.

s1.PNGs2.PNGs3.PNG

s4.PNGs5.PNGs6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Nickel Bag #1-3

Published by: self-published; Contributors: John EdgarDate: 1976; 1977; 1981; Price: 5 cents; Page Count: single sheet folded into 4 pages;

Size: digest (5.25 x 8.5); Kennedy #: 1370; 1371; not cited; Print information: unknown;

Some may not be aware that John Edgar produced a third issue of Nickel Bag #3 that was not cited in the Kennedy Guide.

n1.PNGn2.PNGn3.PNG

n4.PNGn5.PNGn6.PNG

n7.PNGn8.PNGn9.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

The All Incisive Jaw

Published by: Artpolice; Contributors: Frank Gaard; Carol Gaard; Fritz Wolfmeyer; Holly Anderson; Andy G. Baird; Bud Fisher; Steph Couran; Steve Sikora; Walter Joost; Chris Woodward; Dave Johnson; Mike Brehm; Ann Morgan; Mike Haiduck; Chuck Taylor; Date: 1979; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages;

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11.0); Kennedy #: 1060; Print information: unknown;

Kennedy cited about 25+ titles that were published by Minneapolis artist collective called the Artpolice. Within the 70ish titles produced by the collective between 1974 to 1994 are some of the rarest titles listed by Kennedy. Although All Incisive does not belong in the rarest of the rare category, it is definitely tough to track down. The guide describes the cover as having black print on pink stock and my example is reddish/pink print on white stock. Either Kennedy was wrong or there is a possibly variants or subsequent printings.

a1.PNGa2.PNGa3.PNG

a4.PNGa5.PNGa6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Gilgamesh and the Gods

Published by: Pieran Press and Cone Mune Visigraph; Contributor: Curt A. Sholtz; Date: 1978; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 56 pages;

Size: magazine (8.0 x 11.25); Kennedy #: not citedPrint information: unknown;

While attending Brandon University in Canada, Curt Sholtz was introduced to the Epic of Gilamesh.. After three years and a lot of hard work  he published his own account of the ancient Sumerian king. Its technically more of an illustrated story rather than a traditional comic. So why post it in an underground comix thread? The next 2 posts (from me) will explain.

g1.PNGg2.PNGg3.PNG

g4.PNGg5.PNGg6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Ra Thot (#1)

Published by: Botavian Thought Central; Contributors: Z. Mune; Sandy Church; Cathi A. Churchill; Paul Johnson; C. Shoulty; L. Yaco; Date: 1973; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 36 pages;

Size: comic (7.0 x 8.25); Kennedy #: 1648Print information: one printing; number of copies unknown;

Ra Thot is a rare Kennedy listed underground that (to date) doesn't seem to be offered in the on-line marketplace. But it still often appears on the wanted list of many collectors. I can find anything within the sales record.

In my attempts to track down a copy I asked a knowledgeable collector if he knew the identity of "Z. Mune" or what I suspected to be "the moon". My friend did not but he did notice that same obscure publisher was involved with "Ra Thot #2" and Gilgamesh (previous post). I then contacted Curt Sholtz and confirmed that he is "Z. Mune" and responsible for Ra Thot or "raw thought". He adopted his moon pseudonym from the first character he ever created (see next post).

r1.PNGr2.PNGr3.PNG

r4.PNGr5.PNGr6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Ra Thot 2nd

Published by: Cone-Mune Visigraph; Contributors: Curt A. Sholtz aka Z. Mune; Date: 1982; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 16 pages;

Size: digest (5.5 x 8.5); Kennedy #: post guidePrint information: one printing; two colour variants; yellow and blue; copies unknown

Its the second issue of Ra Thot that provided a link to Gilgamesh and the Gods and the identity of Ra Thot's creator Z. Mune. As mentioned in the last post an astute collecting friend of mine (VM) recalled that he had seen the publisher, Cone-Mune Visigraph credited in another publication. When discussing the title with him, Curt Sholtz had this to say:

"Raw thought number one I remember very well. My brothers and I drove into Detroit to burn the plates and print it ourselves at a printing cooperative. Ra thot/thought number two is really sketchy In my memory. I have not run across it in the last couple of years of shifting boxes, so I’m not sure if I still have one around. Z mune was the first character I created that I really thought of as my own. So I have used him it is a pseudonym from time to time. Most recently as the name of a cat character in a strip called stackcats."

"I was just done with a teaching stint in northern Quebec and wanted to revisit my art childhood by doing another raw thot eight years later. I drew a bunch in a few days… Photocopied in Ann Arbour and I left a bunch of copies there just around in public places. And I think that was my main distribution point - interesting to see them still around So many years later."

r1.PNGr2.PNGr3.PNG

r4.PNGr5.PNGr6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix