• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
42 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Might that be Jack Chick tracts ?  

https://chick.com/products/category?type=tracts

Ya I think that looks like them, or some variation, I dont remember the titles, but I think those were them 

Googling them seems they had a "reputation", I remember some being insensitive or abrasive so I never passed them out lol

But they all seemed to end kind of the same way, it was something to read to figure how they'd make a point out of it

Lot of my same sentiments in this thread, they really tried to hint at over indulgence in the tracks I read, and seemed big on the everyone is on a "broad road and must find a narrow path" motif.

Which can be true but the art and intent seemed over the top

Gwar Comix

Publisher: Slave Pit Enterprises; Date of Publication: 1989; Place of Publication: unknown; Cover Price: $2.00; Dimensions: 5-1/2 x 8-1/2"; Page Count: 12; Print Run: unknownContributor(s): Chuck Varga

gwar-comix-01-01.thumb.jpg.66cacaa8bd222ab905b5cc47ac8eb326.jpg

Edited by comixbible

First Empire Funnies (first, second and third printings)

Published by: San Francisco Comic Book Co. (first); Cay Geerdes/Comix World (second and third); Contributor: Pat Daley; Date: 1972 (first); 1975 (second); 1986 (third); Price: 7 cents; Page Count: 8 pages;

Size: mini (4.0 x 5.5); first printing slightly longer; Kennedy #: 737 (did not cite later editions beyond the first)Print information: three printings; first two printing white stock; third printing coral stock (maybe); number of copies unknown;

Due to COV-19, I have been locked away in my apartment since March. I have been separated from the scanner and my Kennedy Guide both of which are at work and I have unable to post anything since. Thanks for the postings (especially you Victor) that have occurred since my last one in early March. Hopefully it will not be much longer to return to business as usual.

Like Self-Destruct (page 19 of this thread), First Empire Funnies is an early San Francisco Comic Book Co. "sevencenter" mini that seem to be rarer than the rest of the pack. Both of these titles are scarcer than the revolutionary first title in the series Spare Comics. I am not sure of the reason for this or how to explain it, but I would love to know the answer.

Another surprise is that I only became recently aware of the existence of two later editions by Clay Geerdes/Comix World which you can see listed on his Comix World title/catalog overview (second edition: lower left corner of first page, 1975; third edition: slightly higher and to the right of center of the second page, 1986):

Comix World Mini List -1.jpg

Comix World Mini List - 2.jpg

If you notice in the citation for the second edition, Geerdes credits Kitchen Sink with the publication of the first edition. I checked with Denis Kitchen and this is incorrect: "Nope. Clay Geerdes was clearly not an impeccable source. Kitchen Sink had nothing whatever to do with Pat Daley’s comic".

Having never handled any edition of First Empire Funnies, I was still determined to find out how Comix World editions differed from the original. Not only is scholarship an important aspect of the hobby, but such information also has a important practical side to a collector: avoid purchasing the wrong edition. I managed to find and purchase 2 distinct white stock versions of First Empire Funnies and found an image of coral example that is for sale on-line:

First Empire Comparasion.jpgFirst Empire Comparasion #2.jpg

The publication information is identical for both examples with white stock and there is no "Comix World" identifier, so which is possibly the true first edition and which is possibly the second? If you notice in the side-by-side comparison the slightly tan version (right and bottom) is longer than the whiter version and has better print and fine line resolution especially around: rays around the side border, jacket cuff, shadows on the face, fine lines on the jacket front and within the publishing info. The slightly tan version is a first generation print and the whiter version is a second generation source. If you are the proud owner of a copy of First Empire Funnies you should go back into your collection and have a look to confirm which edition it is!

To complicate the issues I have been long aware of an example that was posted on poopsheet:

https://www.poopsheetfoundation.com/index.php/pf-database/mini-comics/first-empire-funnies

I had assumed that it either was a bad photocopy of an original that was shared between collectors or possibly (but unlikely) a true first edition done by Pat Daley herself. I just wanted to make clear that I definitely do not have all the answers regarding this title and stress the importance of keeping an open mind.

What about the coral edition that I had mentioned earlier? Again this is an on-line image and I have not handled the actual copy, but I am going to assume that it is the Clay Geerdes/Comix World third edition from 1986. Why? Just because the choice of stock colour matches what Geerdes was into when publishing his later titles. I do not know if it is marked anyway (beyond the use of loudly coloured stock) to distinguish it from the original.

Book 4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

On 12/24/2018 at 7:59 AM, CDNComix said:

Strawberry Funnies #2 (first printing)

Published by: Rebel Comix/Radiation Graphics; Contributors: Tom Foster; Jim Blake; Date: 1980; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 52 pages;

Size: magazine, (7.5 x 10.75); Kennedy #: 1901; Print information: 500 signed and numbered copies; second printing of 1,000 copies from 1984 

Strawberry Funnies #2 is definitely the most "comic" of any of Tom Foster's efforts. Foster enlisted the assistance of Jim Blake for the sequel to his Strawberry Funnies #1 solo effort. The same partnership went on to create 3-4 other comix creations that were undocumented by Kennedy. In addition, Kennedy describes in his guide the existence of an uncoloured ($5) and hand coloured cover ($10) version. The images below are of a printed cover version that matches Kennedy's description of the first printing (except for the colouring method and price). I personally do not know of anyone who has seen or possesses a copy of either of Kennedy's variant. I am not saying they do not exist, but...

s1.PNGs2.PNGs3.PNGs4.PNG

I just picked up this copy.

38164B35-CECF-4BFE-B511-A1BB87BA66AD.jpeg

not really rare for underground comix but two very historic comic books

Zap #4 ( the comic that got people arrested lol ) was about 20k copies for the 1st print

It Ain't Me Babe ( first comic done entirely by women ) 2nd print had a print run of 10k.. and the 1st print had 20k

Resized_20210104_212816.jpg

Resized_20210104_212830.jpg

Edited by engelhard
oops

On 1/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, engelhard said:

not really rare for underground comix but two very historic comic books

Zap #4 ( the comic that got people arrested lol ) was about 20k copies for the 1st print

It Ain't Me Babe ( first comic done entirely by women ) 2nd print had a print run of 10k.. and the 1st print had 20k

Yes, both of those are quite nice and important. The only reason I do not post books like those is because most collectors/persons can readily find their own supporting information concerning these types of books. I definitely collect them and love them as you do.

So did you do a tape measuring test o determine if you had a first printing of Zap Comix #4?

On 12/24/2018 at 10:59 AM, CDNComix said:

Strawberry Funnies #2 (first printing)

Published by: Rebel Comix/Radiation Graphics; Contributors: Tom Foster; Jim Blake; Date: 1980; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 52 pages;

Size: magazine, (7.5 x 10.75); Kennedy #: 1901; Print information: 500 signed and numbered copies; second printing of 1,000 copies from 1984 

Strawberry Funnies #2 is definitely the most "comic" of any of Tom Foster's efforts. Foster enlisted the assistance of Jim Blake for the sequel to his Strawberry Funnies #1 solo effort. The same partnership went on to create 3-4 other comix creations that were undocumented by Kennedy. In addition, Kennedy describes in his guide the existence of an uncoloured ($5) and hand coloured cover ($10) version. The images below are of a printed cover version that matches Kennedy's description of the first printing (except for the colouring method and price). I personally do not know of anyone who has seen or possesses a copy of either of Kennedy's variant. I am not saying they do not exist, but...

s1.PNGs2.PNGs3.PNGs4.PNG

Since someone was kind enough to post their recent acquisition of Strawberry Funnies #2, I would like to round back to my original post of the first printing. I wondered if some the other editions or printings described by Kennedy actually existed or were described properly. I have found out since that posting that they do. I collecting friend of mine (VM) was kind enough to share a couple of recent finds with me.

It turns out that Kennedy's "hand coloured cover ($10)" version edition is a "second edition" of the first printing. Meaning that Tom Foster took a standard copy and hand coloured the front covers and sold it for $10 (it is definitely not marked with that price):

strawberry-funnies-02-01-01.jpg

The same friend also shared an image of Kennedy's uncoloured ($5) second "printing". What appears to be going on here is that Tom Fisher had leftover guts from the first printing to which he affixed an oversized card covers with artwork that is different from the first printing:

strawberry-funnies-02-01A-01.jpgstrawberry-funnies-02-01A-52.jpg

Here's Kennedy's second printing (which I was aware and purchased since my original post) from 1984. I would consider it to be the third printing. It has cover artwork as the "third edition" but in colour also unile the "third edition" the guts and covers mach in size:

strawberry-funnies-02-02.jpg

Recap: There appear to be four editions of Strawberry Funnies #2. The first edition (1980) had red/white/black covers of which 500 copies were signed and numbered. An unknown number of the first edition were hand coloured and sold for $10 as a second edition (1980). Foster produced an uncoloured, "$5" third edition (1980, number of copies unknown) that appears to be made from leftover guts from the first edition to which he added oversized card covers with new artwork. In 1984, Foster produced the fourth edition that had the same artwork as the "third edition" but in colour (1000 copies).

Edited by CDNComix
add info

22 hours ago, CDNComix said:

Yes, both of those are quite nice and important. The only reason I do not post books like those is because most collectors/persons can readily find their own supporting information concerning these types of books. I definitely collect them and love them as you do.

So did you do a tape measuring test o determine if you had a first printing of Zap Comix #4?

yes i did

Resized_20210109_112251001.jpg.f6b445f3b560914ad8b1f2db70bb6c28.jpg

Atomic Bondage

Published by: A Laughing Man Productions; Contributor: Mark S. Fisher; Date: 1983; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 16 pages;

Size: small comic (folded; 6.5 x 8.5); Kennedy #: post publication of guide; Print information: one printing; number of copies unknown;

On page 12 of this thread, there’s another a 1983 title “It’s Me” that was also produced by Mark Fisher under his “Laughing Man Productions” banner. Beyond the art what makes this title interesting to me is its name and an ad in the Kennedy Guide.

Anyone who owns a Kennedy Guide probably has noticed an ad near the back for a 48 page, colour magazine comic ($1.95) with the same title and cover as this book. That magazine was never published which Mark Fisher to salvage some of its content and re-package it into a smaller self-published comic. To make matters worse, I had for years assumed that the "Atomic Bondage" cited in the Kennedy Guide was Fisher's Laughing Man published title. Nope, same name but the Kennedy cited book is a different publication that was produced by another person, Brian Anthony who was responsible for Saucy Sci-Fi #1 and #2.

Big Atomic.PNGAB -1.PNGAB - 2.PNGAB -3.PNGAB - 4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix
resize

S. Clay Wilson Party Invite

Published by: self published; Contributor: S. Clay Wilson; Date: 1972; Price: giveaway; Page Count: one sided postcard;

Size: postcard (5.75 x 7.0); Kennedy #: not listed; ephemera; Print information: one printing; number of copies unknown;

I guess one would have many friends and be invited to a few parties being a young S. Clay Wilson (early 30s) and living in San Francisco in 1972,. But I could not ever imagine that Wilson would design the invite to a going away party that was held in 1972 for Larry and Darya Johnson. The postcard-sized invite was photographically reproduced as a standard black and white glossy.

The couple still reside in San Francisco but I am hesitant to contact an elderly couple for more details: how did they know Wilson, did he attend the party, under what circumstances did he produce the invite (long time friends etc.), how many were produced and sent. Unfortunately with Wilson's recent passing (February 7th, 2021), these answers are now probably only known by them.

Wilson.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Bernice Saves Grizzly Harry (aka Nightmare Living Room #1) and Nightmare Living Room #2

Published by: Gary Arlington (SFCC); Contributor: S. Clay Wilson; Date: #1 copyrighted 1969; #2 copyrighted 1968; Price: no cover price; Eric Fromm giveaway; Page Count: single sided sheet;

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11.0); Kennedy #: #1 (239); #2 (1375); Print information: one printing; #2 has a regular and heavier print stock version; number of copies unknown;

Two single sided sheet giveaways that were included as "Eric Fromm" giveaways when customers made a larger mail order through the mail order branch of Gary Arlington's comic shop.

BS 1.PNG

NM 2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Gods of Mount Olympus in Ancient Mythology (#1-3, "Venus and Mars" poster giveaway)

Published by: Quintessence Publications; Contributors: Johnny Achziger; Joe Staton; Date: 1974; Price: one dollar; Page count: 16 pages per issue;

Size: newspaper (11 x 17); Kennedy #: listed in above grounds; #97-99; Print information: one printing; number of copies unknown;

In 1982, Kennedy gave a tip-of-the-hat to the alternative comic by listing over 200 comics in an “aboveground” section located at the back of his guide. The titles listed within these citations are not equally beloved by all underground collectors, but I definitely support Kennedy’s decision to be inclusive or I may not have ever paid attention to a Bronze Age gem like the Gods of Mount Olympus in Ancient Mythology (GOMO) “trilogy”. The trilogy borders on the “uncommon” with complete set (often unfolded examples) selling for as low as $20-25.

But there is an undocumented (within Kennedy’s Guide) wrinkle for stricter collectors: mail subscribers also received a one page poster of “Venus and Mars” as a thank you giveaway. I was not aware of its existence until a member of Fogel’s FB thread shared his example. I was curious about the history of GOMO and its giveaway, so I reached out to its publisher (Johnny Achziger) and he was kind enough to reply:

“I don't remember if the Venus print was also 3000 (or was it 2000?) copies.  I know I sent one out to everyone who ordered through the mail, but beyond that I'm not sure how many I printed.

What happened was this:  Mail order sales were nowhere near what I'd hoped, so I took half the print run of all 3 issues with me to a convention in Houston (1974, I think).  I sold maybe 20 of each.  Since my car broke down on the way and I rented a U-Haul to get there, I didn't want to rent another one to haul all those home (I just wanted to take a bus).  So I just decided to abandon them, right there at the hotel (I was pretty dejected, and dumb!).  But I'd met Chuck Rozanski there (he even slept on my room's floor) and he said he'd take them all.  So he loaded up his car and took the thousands of copies home with him to Denver (where he now owns a chain of Mile High Comics).  I don't recall bringing any of the posters with me, but if I did, then he got them.  Chuck told me a few years ago that all the copies were sitting on a pallet somewhere in one of his warehouses.  I don't know if they are available for sale or not.  And again, I don't know if he got any of the posters.

The balance of the print run was disposed of a few years later (I guess my Mom got tired of them sitting around) and I do not have even one copy of any issue.  I do have a copy of the print and will try to attach it here.

Hope that helps your quest.  There was an article I wrote about the whole situation, including a long interview with Joe Staton) a few years ago in one of Two Morrows magazines (Comic Book Artist?) and a smaller article in the  Star Reach Companion book.”

GOMO.PNG

Venus.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Flimsy Excuses

Published by: self published; Contributors: Dalison Darrow as Lily Gilding; Date: 1980; Price: no cover price; Page count: 8 pages;

Size: digest (4.5 x 7.0); Kennedy #: 734; Print information: one printing; 50 copies;

There are a few minor surprises with this book if you are able to find a copy.

Gary Panter is credited by some as producing the first colour copy comic (As*hole). I will not open that one. But one could say that Flimsy Excuses is the first all colour (photocopied) comic, except it’s not a comic, but closer in form to a “mail art” publication.

Flimsy Excuses is listed within the F(i)s of the Kennedy Guide, not as a F(l) publication. It is easy to imagine that proper alphabetization would be a challenge in the days prior to electronic publication.

FE1.PNG

FE2.PNG

FE3.PNG

Just found this thread so thought I would contribute this... (which I also added to the underground thread in the magazine forum).

It definitely counts as "rare" and "unknown". I could not find any reference to it by Google. MCS has a lot of obscure listings but not for this one.

It was printed on one sheet of paper then folded over.

image.png.16bafd9730e5e9a4190cfc1e0d737010.png

Spelling was not their forte.

12 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Just found this thread so thought I would contribute this... (which I also added to the underground thread in the magazine forum).

It definitely counts as "rare" and "unknown". I could not find any reference to it by Google. MCS has a lot of obscure listings but not for this one.

It was printed on one sheet of paper then folded over.

That (Collected Trash Comix) is a beauty and thank you for sharing. Kennedy did list an ultra-rare title called "Trash Comix - Revolutionary Comix for Today's Revolutionary". But your book is a different publication and it's new to me. Very cool.

10 hours ago, Pantodude said:

I was surprised as heck when I came across this one!  Glad i did.  Obscure, and certainly rarely discussed at my church.  :devil:

I am not a slabber per say. But your book - a 9.2 C*nt Comix - is one of the underground keys that I would buy slabbed or get slabbed. Gorgeous and thanks for the share.