• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

Cook’s Night Out

Published by: self-published; Contributor: Greg C. or S. Smith; Date: copyrighted 1971; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 28 pages;
Size: comic (7.0 x 9.75); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: unknown;

As mentioned, in my very last post I mentioned that Kennedy skipped citing many titles, those he must have known about like the UK pubs and the many, many US underground titles that he did not. Within the "unknown to Kennedy" pile, the vast majority are regional all B&W undergrounds (Xerox's) that were created and sold (or at least attempted) within the local geographical area of its creator. In my opinion, his guide did an excellent job of identifying underground comix with colour covers.

Cook's Night Out is one that he missed probably because it was a self-published, local that probably is unknown to all except for its creator and his friends and family. Copyrighted in 1971 and published (then or later?)  by who I believe to be a Greg C. Smith (it could be an "S" see third image upside down lower page). It appears to be the only known (documented or listed) to date. In 2013 the same copy sold at Heritage which was auctioned off on eBay in 2019 (to me (: ).

CO1.PNG

CO2.PNG

CO3.PNG

CO4.PNG

CO5.PNG

CO6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Continuing the theme of rare issues from outside north America...

image.thumb.png.e98aeb584b74d4c1a1585acee2660c7c.png

This is #5 of The Australian Comic Collector, abbreviated to TACC with this issue. The previous 4 issues were mostly text, so this was the first with original art and stories.

Publisher: The Australian Comic Collector Association Date: December 1977 Pages: 30

It also contained ads of comics for sale by members. The most expensive was Amazing Fantasy #15 G/VG for A$175, which would have been a huge sum at the time.

Another non-US underground. This one is from New Zealand. It had very good artwork and good stories. Here is issue #1. I have the first 12, but don't know how many were issued after that.

This is another title that neither MCS nor Google knows about. I also checked with the National Library of NZ. They do archive comics published in NZ, but if they have this one, it is not yet archived digitally.

The cover of #1 looks what would happen if Eisner meets Wrightson (apologies for my poor photography skills)

image.thumb.png.fbed6d9ef5b0134c307be4a70349d4e0.png

Back cover wraparound:

image.thumb.png.efcd72f8e43b5627ed2d82fb9abcb1d1.png

(Haha - I typed the above before looking for the artist credits. They were:

"Cover by Colin Wilson for Wrightson, Bellamy, Eisner and Associates. Thanks, fellas, it's all your fault".)

My favourite series was the irreverent Dan Dog by Barry Linton "of this Parish"

image.thumb.png.f0ac9a7f31e8cee1e1d1f6cb96b74a43.png

Colin Wilson comes back again with the first installment of what is - believe it or not from this splash page - a sword-and-sorcery series:

image.thumb.png.cff9b1f1122d1df81dba2b0edc9a547f.png

Other info:

Publisher: Scorpion Publications      Date: bimonthly from February 1977

Artists and Writers: Colin Wilson, Barry Linton, Terrence Bogan, self-deprecatingly [and unjustifiably] described as "dwarves of their field"

Editor: Rollo Treadway

10 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Another non-US underground. This one is from New Zealand. It had very good artwork and good stories. Here is issue #1. I have the first 12, but don't know how many were issued after that.

This is another title that neither MCS nor Google knows about. I also checked with the National Library of NZ. They do archive comics published in NZ, but if they have this one, it is not yet archived digitally.

Strips was a great series! I'm a big fan of one of its early contributors, Barry Linton. I think the latest issue I've managed to find is #23, from 1986. I don't think it went beyond that, but it may have a few more issues. There's a scan of the front cover of #23 on Poopsheet Foundation: https://www.poopsheetfoundation.com/index.php/pf-database/mini-comics/strips-23.

P.S. If you look at this old snapshot from comics.org.nz, you can see some of the other covers: https://web.archive.org/web/20100524181426/http://comics.org.nz/wiki/index.php?title=Strips.

Edited by comixbible

14 minutes ago, comixbible said:

Strips was a great series! I'm a big fan of one of its early contributors, Barry Linton. I think the latest issue I've managed to find is #23, from 1986. I don't think it went beyond that, but it may have a few more issues. There's a scan of the front cover of #23 on Poopsheet Foundation: https://www.poopsheetfoundation.com/index.php/pf-database/mini-comics/strips-23.

P.S. If you look at this old snapshot from comics.org.nz, you can see some of the other covers: https://web.archive.org/web/20100524181426/http://comics.org.nz/wiki/index.php?title=Strips.

Thanks for the extra info! I am glad you are a fan of Barry Linton, too.  Here's his cover to #2:

image.thumb.png.d81993dfd3b543af84fec2a312f14872.png

(The paper quality was very good for these issues - better than the mainstream US magazines at the time - but obviously they did not resist foxing over the years).

22 hours ago, SCAPEGOAT666 said:

Is anyone familiar with Mike diana Boiled angel? Or his AngelF*ck zine. Here is 2 rare promo copies sent to a store. Been looking for his original zines for years. Anyone own his original AngelF*ck or B.A?64E91A87-BF57-4F28-8E96-B3A897AA2D3A.thumb.jpeg.8a5346e993a843fb1a749f63502191a2.jpeg

I opened that can of worms a few years back when I purchased a copy of Boiled Angel Eight (Ate) - the issue that got Mike Diana into all that legal trouble. I contacted his website looking for more info regarding the early original editions vs the later editions he now sells. The person who answered on Diana's behalf just ended up confusing me more (with regard to telling the difference between a a first edition and a later one) and I never worked out the whole story.

I believe (I discarded their messages) that the first 6 issues of Boiled Angel were published by Red Stew and have coloured inner stock opposed to white stock (later editions). Is there a difference in publishing info (dates, or identifies later edition) between an original and a later edition), I could not determine from Mike's on-line representative. In addition issues #7 and #8 have editions published by Mike Hunt (not Red Stew). Was there an earlier edition for these two issues, again Mike's contact did not (could not) answer my question. i would to work this out.

17 hours ago, CDNComix said:

I opened that can of worms a few years back when I purchased a copy of Boiled Angel Eight (Ate) - the issue that got Mike Diana into all that legal trouble. I contacted his website looking for more info regarding the early original editions vs the later editions he now sells. The person who answered on Diana's behalf just ended up confusing me more (with regard to telling the difference between a a first edition and a later one) and I never worked out the whole story.

I believe (I discarded their messages) that the first 6 issues of Boiled Angel were published by Red Stew and have coloured inner stock opposed to white stock (later editions). Is there a difference in publishing info (dates, or identifies later edition) between an original and a later edition), I could not determine from Mike's on-line representative. In addition issues #7 and #8 have editions published by Mike Hunt (not Red Stew). Was there an earlier edition for these two issues, again Mike's contact did not (could not) answer my question. i would to work this out.

Oh I know that the first 6 issues are all color paper. Issue 6 has a mixture of color and white pages because he was at the start he was printing his zines at a school he worked at and was using their color paper. The back cover got stuck and and a worker came in the next day saw the jam and later on he got fired. Issues 7&8 he still self publish but later during his trial he reprinted 7&8 with Mike hunt comix. These copies 2 and 4  are copies he re-printed to send to store in the 90s they are rare copies because these are promo copies Have a mixture of pages belonging to other issues. In the end  The later printings all Have white paper, The first printings 1-6 color. Than  7&8 all printings Have White paper also. I will post. Also Red Stew Comix was Mikes homemade zine co. I need someone to find Angelf*ck those are super hard to find

Edited by SCAPEGOAT666

16 hours ago, CDNComix said:

Edited by SCAPEGOAT666

Here is the Mike hunt printing vs the first printing. The Mike hunt printing I think was made to help out with legal fees also because Mike hunt thought of it as the biggest F you to the legal system also the year for the Mike hunt printing is 1993-94. First printing 1991, Both Have white paper.

05CE2784-0C48-41E9-80D5-68242BBD59D7.jpeg

17922AFA-8197-4074-BDF3-03D72F555497.jpeg

Edited by SCAPEGOAT666

5 hours ago, SCAPEGOAT666 said:

Here is the Mike hunt printing vs the first printing. The Mike hunt printing I think was made to help out with legal fees also because Mike hunt thought of it as the biggest F you to the legal system also the year for the Mike hunt printing is 1993-94. First printing 1991, Both Have white paper.

05CE2784-0C48-41E9-80D5-68242BBD59D7.jpeg

17922AFA-8197-4074-BDF3-03D72F555497.jpeg

Thanks for this SC666 and I am glad that someone else besides myself also has an interest in this often overlooked collecting area. Good luck with your efforts with tracking down AF.

Yea the main that zine to be in trial was issue 7 they spent a lot of time with his comic Strip called Baby F*** dog food. Also they hated how in issue 8 he did interviews with serial Killers and the whole legal system kept saying this zine will turn people into serial killers. You can Watch his doc on Amazon Prime called Boiled angels the trial of Mike diana.

Edited by SCAPEGOAT666

In the doc they said main reason for his trial, because he contributed to a zine in canada called HEADTRIP. Than the creator of that zine had a Obscenity trial also. They say thats what led up to Mike diana trial. Does anyone else own his Boiled angels?

Edited by SCAPEGOAT666

7 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

That is just shocking how he was mistreated by the police and courts.

Yes, it's unbelievable. Nearly all underground collectors are aware of the Zap Comix #4 trials - where the publisher/seller was shackled before the courts, not the artists. But few are aware of the injustices/ordeal that Mike Diana was submitted to over 15 years later. Reminds me of the "butterfly on the wheel" marijuana possession trial of Mick Jagger.

Charles Burns’ Mail Zine Set

Published by: self-published; Contributor: Charles Burns; Date: possibly 1979-1981; Price: giveaway; Page Count: 10 pages; one illustrated cover page; seven single sided comic pages; two blank pages (inner first and outer last page);
Size: magazine (8.0 x 11.0); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: unknown;

Many years ago, I had purchased had an early Charles Burns magazine sized comic. It’s untitled, undated and unsigned and looks to be an unpublished work. I have always loved Burns’ signature woodcut style that would propel him to fame by the mid-nineties. But the style of the zine appears to be thinner and earlier than the typical Burns – possibly an early work.

When and why the zine was made would have been pure speculation, if seller had not also sent along the two other items that Charles Burns had included his correspondence (2 postcards one of which contains a letter page).

Unlike many of his underground contemporaries, Charles Burns is not really known for producing postcards at the beginning of his career. In fact, until I saw these, I never knew that he produced any until later in his career as an established artist. There are no examples on-line that I could easily find.

The first postcard is a standard card that was produced in 1980 by Card Attack, San Francisco. Both Burns and his wife (Kelly Detweiler) are credited on its back (no image of back just front).

The second is a large landscape card that is folded into three, blank on the reverse, that includes a hand printed letter page from Burns that yields many clues with dating the fanzine:

“I have a full color page and black and white page in Raw #3 (due to be out in about 2 weeks)”
Raw #3 – the earlier magazine (1981) and not the later volume two Penguin anthology book (1991). The color single page is “... and I pressed....” and the black white single page story is the famous “Dog Boy”.

“I have: an 18 page comic…to be printed in Death Rattle Comix”
Death Rattle #1 – volume 2 (1985), not the earlier first volume from the 70s. I guess the “(God knows when)” turned out to be over four years later. I wondered what happened to cause such delay?

“I have “mysteries of the flesh” 1 or 2 pages appeared in “Another Room”
Another Room Vol.2 No.5 “2nd Anniversary Issue” – the first issue has a cited publication date of 1978, second anniversary about 1980.

“I have a 20 page photo comic that I have been trying to publish for 2 years”
It’s probably either going to “The Cat Woman Returns” (1979) or “Ill Bred' “1979).

Conclusion: I am highly confident that the latest the untitled Charles Burns’ fanzine would have been published would have been in 1979/1980 at the latest at the age of 24 or 25. However it even could be earlier, I will probably never know all of the details since Charles Burns does not wish to talk to me!

CB3.PNG

CB4.PNG

CB5.PNG

CB6.PNG

B0.PNG

B1.PNG

B2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

The Brute Comix

Published by: self-published; Contributors: Rick A. Scheinaus; Brian Steelman; Date: 1973; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 36 pages; Size: magazine (8.5 x 10.75); Kennedy #: 335; Print information: unknown;

Early and very rare, Brute Comix is not exactly a “household name” among underground collectors and does not garner much attention from them.

b1.PNG

b2.PNG

b3.PNG

b4.PNG

b5.PNG

b6.PNG

Creation Story Verbatim!!

Published by: Institute for the Development of Harmonious Human Being; Contributors: E.J. Gold; Lin Larson; Lynn Shanks; Date: 1973; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 40 pages;

Size: magazine (8.25 x 10.75); Kennedy #: 537; Print information: unknown;

An alternative-establishment religious comic from the self-proclaimed, “perceptual scientist”, E.J Gold. I have seen another text based edition (limited 200 copies) that was published in the same year (comix edition June 1973) in a text based format with spot illustrations using different art.

Which edition was published first is a little “chicken or egg” for my taste and would exceed my dose of metaphysics for the day.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

Edited by CDNComix