• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

Berford's Seaman's Flabby Thighs and Butter #1

Published by: BSFTB Productions; Contributors: Rob Guthrie; Frank Viva; Tom Nesbitt; Ian Carr; Carlos Valdivieso Date: 1976; Price: one dollar; Page Count: 28 pages

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: one printing, unknown number of copies

Berford's Seaman's Flabby Thighs and Butter #2

Published by: BSFTB Productions; Contributors: Rob Guthrie; Frank Viva; Tom Nesbitt; Karen Hayes; Ian Carr; Steve Leblanc; Stan Gadziolla; Peter Grau Date: 1977; Price: $1.10; Page Count: 52 pages

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11) Kennedy #: 237; Print information: one printing, unknown number of copies

Both of these issues are quite scare, in fact, Kennedy wondered if a first issue even existed in his description for Berford #2.  He did stand chance of "catching" Berford #1 before the release of his guide, since Phil Seuling and Bud Plant both shared its US distribution.

BS1-1.PNGBS1-2.PNGBS2-1.PNGBS2-2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Song of the South Yuba

Published by: Hygraders of Grass Valley; Contributors: Roger May and others (possibly Dan O'Neill and R Crabb); Date: 1981; Price: no cover price; Page Count: single folded sheet

Size: folded (5.5 x 8.5) Kennedy #: not listed Print information: unknown

I am not sure who or what the Hygraders actually were other than that Roger May was a member.  To my eye, there are at four artists who participated in this double sided jam.  See what happens, if Kennedy did not identify something and put it in his guide.  You're left to the speculations of guys like me.

song 1.PNGsong 2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Bunkers of Mars (regular and "Skunky variant")

Published by: Walter Bachner; Contributors: Walter Bachner; Joe Coleman; Date: 1977; Price: 13 sense; Page Count: four stapled, single sided sheets

Size: folded (5.5 x 8.5) Kennedy #: 363 Print information: one printing approximately 100 copies according to Joe Coleman

Bachner and Coleman team up again to produce this interesting artzine.  Please note that the second attached image has been edited with a white filled rectangle.  My usual star overlay could not cover what I was trying to cover.

Since my original posting, I finally have been able to track an image of what some refer to as "Skunky Bunkers of Mars". I have encountered listings for "Skunky" in a couple of holdings within large archived collections. But I could never figure out why "Skunky" was used and assumed it was a possible "Bunkers #2". Looking at the image it appears to be a variant or reprint of the original with "Skunky" overprinted or hand-coloured onto the cover design. I suspect Joe Coleman had a hand in it. He does not have email and will contact him by snail and see if he can provide an explanation.

Bunkers.PNGbumkers 2.PNGSkunky Bunkers.JPG

Edited by CDNComix

R*ver's Romance

Published by: Self Published; Contributors: Irene Dogmatic (editor); full listing in images; Date: 1975; Price: one dollar; Page Count: 20 pages

Size: mini (4.5 x 5.75) Kennedy #: 1706 Print information: first printing (cardstock) approximately 50 copies; second printing white Xerox

Star Spanieled Boners

Published by: Self Published; Contributors: Irene Dogmatic (editor); full listing in images; Date: 1975; Price: one dollar; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: mini (4.5 x 5.75) Kennedy #: not listed Print information: first printing (and only?) approximately 50 copies

Nancy Mosen aka Irene Dogmatic produced several great comix-based artzines in the 1970s and is still doing so up to the present date.  I would consider these two books of hers to be part of a matching theme set.  Only R*ver's Romance was "blessed" with a S. Clay Wilson panel and probably the reason why Kennedy listed it in his guide.

R1.PNGR2.PNGr3.PNG

s1.PNGs3.PNGs13.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Amabolis Insania

Published by: Curt Metz; Contributors: full listing in images; Date: 1975; Price: one dollar; Page Count: 22 pages

Size: small comic (5.5 x 8.75) Kennedy #: 51 Print information: one printing, number of copies unknown

Produced by Curt Metz to commemorate his wedding or amabolis insania (fond illusion) in 1975.  It's book great idea and book, where many well known artists provide their usually humorous, POV on the subject of weddings and marriage.  I do not know: if any of the contributors besides Curt, actually attended the ceremony or if publication was given away to the event. The Fogel guide states that there was a business card provided with the book and unfortunately my copy does not have one.  It was difficult to select which specific panels I would provide with this post - there are so many good ones.  Please note that the provided scan of the front cover does not do justice to its real beauty - the embossed gold foil appears green.

AI.PNGA3.PNGA4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

MELODY: The Comic Strip Autobiography Of A Nude Dancer

Published by: Self Published; Contributors: Sylvie Rancourt; Jacques Boivin; Date: 1987; Price: two dollars; Page Count: 52 pages

Size: mini (4.5 x 5.5) Kennedy #: post Kennedy Print information: first English edition, 125 copies

The story is based on the real life experiences of Sylvie Rancourt, who moved to Montreal in 1979 and would eventually lead the life of an exotic dancer. The story was first recounted in a series of six, beautiful, French language magazines. This first-time, English language, edition combines all six issues into a combined mini format that was send to various publishers in order to solicit the publication of an expanded format. Kitchen Sink began the publication of their ten issue run the following year in 1988.

m1.PNGm2.PNGm3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Gimmeabreak Comix (aka Rhuta #2)

Published by: Rhuta Press; Contributors: J. Festus Hockman; Terry Fowler; Randy Marks; Dan Stubbs; Lynn Robinson; Peter Nestor; Susie Bethany; Win Perry; Dennis Bowen; Thor; Date: 1971; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 48 pages

Size: small comic (6.25 x 8.0) Kennedy #: 831 Print information: only one printing, number of copies unknown

City Chomper #1

Published by: Self Published; Contributors: J. Festus Hockman; Max Church; Date: February 1973; Price: free; Page Count: single folded sheet

Size: folded (8.5 x 11) Kennedy #: not listed Print information: unknown

These two publications share the common thread with the involvement of James Hockman. Gimmeabreak is definitely a foundational book for any self-respecting collection. It even caused some grief with the collecting community over the years with its inner front cover advertisement for Rhuta #0 (Election Day Funnies) and Rhuta #1 (Mother Country Comix). I just confirmed with someone (who knows way more than I do) that both books are phantom books and were never produced.

Gimmeabreak and the two phantom books must have left void and created an appetite for more Festus, since his lessor known peripheral material like City Chomper #1 and #2 are still being sought.

G1.PNGg3.PNGg2.PNG

g4.PNGg5.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Boycott Coors Beer

Published by:  Coors Boycott and Strike Support Coalition of Colorado; Contributors: Joel Andreas; Date: 1977; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 12 pages

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11) Kennedy #: 337 Print information: one printing 6,000 copies

More of a labour movement comic rather than a true underground comix, "Boycott Coors Beer" documents the birth of boycott movement in response to an unsuccessful strike action by unionized workers. In 1977 the union went on strike, claiming that Coors employed unfair labour practices to fire any worker that did not meet its stringent employment guidelines that included a requirement for polygraphs and hiring practices that were inequitable to visible minorities and members of the gay and lesbian community.  The boycott was ended nearly seven years later when Coors and the union reached a negotiated agreement in 1984.  Fight the Power.

C1.PNGc2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Thanks for posting this stuff with publishing info and synopsis. My own taste in undergrounds was never extensive enough to get into much of the early self-published stuff by obscure artists from the 60s and 70s, but I appreciate seeing it. 

The Thought Occurs to Me

Distributed by: Constant Cause; Contributor: Julian Kernes; Date: January 1982; Price: no listed price; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.50) Kennedy #: 2005 Print information: one printing; 1000 copies

With a print of a 1,000 copies and a listing in Kennedy, I could be guilty of not following my own posting guideline. Although TTOTM is not exactly obscure or rare, it is rarely discussed within the collecting community like most outputs from Constant Cause. It deserves further promotion because it is unlike most 8-pagers cataloged by Kennedy. Printed on textured, beige cardstock, TTOTM is beautifully illustrated with a surreal, pointillist technique.

t1.PNGt2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

"Hard" vs. "Soft"

Published by: Educomics; Contributor: Leonard Rifas; Date: April 1978; Price: $5 for 25 copies; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: mini (4.0 x 5.50) Kennedy #: 951 Print information: one printing; 3000 copies; reprinted in Energy Comics

From a manuscript of Leonard Rifas's memoirs: "When I read in the San Francisco Chronicle in 1978 that the Korea’s Central Intelligence Agency was attempting to drive a printer in my city out of business to stop its agitation for democracy in South Korea, I responded by hiring them, the Liberty Press, to print a four-color mini-comic I had created about energy policy. “‘Hard’ vs. ‘Soft’: Alternative Long-Range Energy Strategies,”.

According to Leonard Rifas, Liberty Press ended up printing 3,000 copies for only $426.00. This adaptation of Amory Lovins’ "innovative analysis" from Soft Energy Pathways was published as revised black and white version in 1980 as the lead story in Energy Comics #1. For the number of copies printed, not too many examples seem to surface on the marketplace for sale.

HS 1.PNGHS 2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Captain Sticky (first printing)

Published by: Self Published; Contributors: Richard Pesta (aka Captain Sticky); J. Holmes; Date: 1974; Price: 25 cents; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: magazine (7.75 x 10.25) Kennedy #: 391 (first printing not identified) Print information: two printings; number of copies unknown

Back in the early 70s, people really did some bizarre things even by today's standards at comic conventions.  At one end, there is the disturbing (to me at least) story of barely pubescent Heidi Saha who dressed in skimpy outfits to compete in convention costume events. Then at the other end of the spectrum there is the story of Richard Pesta, an overweight lawyer who championed social justice wearing his costume. I am not going to lose sleep over if Captain Sticky should be classified as an underground comix, but I am a little worried about what exactly made him so sticky.

There indeed is a first printing that differs from the second:

1) the front cover states "vol 1. no 1." to the right of the lower main title and below the artist signature;

2) has a different IFC with photo of Captain Sticky, no publication text on bottom stating second edition;

3) has different third page, goes right into the first comic story, the second printing has full text on that page.

4) slightly different back cover ad, does not have smaller secondary photo.

cs1.PNGcs2.PNGheidi at con.jpg

Edited by CDNComix

Time Lapse Growth

Published by: Self Published; Contributors: Jamie Alder (aka Bill Shut)); Mary Kay Rudy; Date: 1979; Price: $2.50; Page Count: folded sheet holder and 7 colour plates

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.50) Kennedy #: 2014 Print information: one printing; 200 copies

I am a fan of Jamie Alder's work, since he always tries to do something different and Time Lapse Growth is not an exception. Probably very expensive at the time ($2.50 in 1979), Jamie Alder upholds the newave credo of publishing a comic about whatever he wants.  In this case, providing seven abstract colour plates with a folded illustrated holder.

TLG1.PNGTLG2.PNGTLG3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Portia Prinz of the Glamazons #1

Published by: Desperado-Eastern; Contributor: Richard Howell; Date: 1976; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: magazine (8.25 x 11) Kennedy #: aboveground 154 Print information: one printing; 300 copies

This is the first Kennedy "aboveground" listed. Its basically a fantasy fanzine that has no adult content. Richard Howell went on the expand this series with the publication with four newsprint tabloid issues.  The series was revived in 1986 through a six issue series that was published by Eclipse.

PP1.PNGPP3.PNGPP2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Archie/X-Archie

Published by: unknown; Contributor: unknown; Date: 1971; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 26 pages

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.5) Kennedy #: 105; Print information: one printing; printed copies unknown

I think you get the point from this book's title and the amount of concealing that I had to do just to post an image of the relatively "tame" front cover page.  As for posting images of the inner pages, only the first three pages with some minor language edits will not get me locked out of my own thread.  That's too bad since those Riverdale kids sure know how to party.

A1.PNGa2.PNGa3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Grossout #1

Published by: Siri Rekab Publications; Contributor: Dave Baker; Iris Baker; Date: 1969; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 24 pages;

Size: small comic (7.0 x 8.5) Kennedy #: 915; Print information: one printing; printed copies unknown

Another must have from the Kennedy canon. Grossout #1 has everything an underground collector wants in book: an early, adult content, cool glossy colour cover and rarity. It was conceived as a two-part, reverse flipbook with a "male pig" and "female pig" side. A matching follow-up issue was published just a few months after this first issue.

A1.PNGA2.PNGA3.PNGA4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Golden Hell

Published by: self published; Contributors: Gary Panter; Date: 1985; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 44 pages

Size: digest (4.5 x 6.5) Kennedy #: post Kennedy ; Print information: one printing, rumoured 150 copies

Golden Hell was published as a set of unbound, nested, folded sheets that are held by a wax paper, protected wrapper. Gary Panter seems to be as interested in the format of his creation at least as much as its content, which would be continued/expanded in some of his following projects.  Each folded sheet including the wrapper pages have been date stamped: starting on May 31 to early December 1985.

g1.PNGg2.PNGg3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Comix Noir - 20 Drawings

Published by: self published; Contributors: Peter A. Flynn; Date: 1980; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: mini (4.5 x 5.3) Kennedy #: 506; Print information: one printing, 90 signed and numbered copies

I am not to sure why Jay Kennedy logged this abstract, art-zine into his guide. A nice enough book and something that I would personally collect, but it is something far removed from the underground movement and definitely in fine art/academically trained territory. Unfortunately, when recently attempting to contact him, I learned that Peter Flynn died last month at the age of 78.

c1.PNGc2.PNGc3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Community Capers #0

Published by: Surrealist Multimedia Co-op; Contributors: Garry Jones; George Stajniak; Gnomo; Tom Wiloch; Skippy the Nuclear Pirate Date: 1971; Price: 10 cents; Page Count: 28 pages

Size: magazine (7.5 x 10.5) Kennedy #: 524; Print information: one printing, copies unknown

Kennedy wisely describes this as an attempt at a regular alternative community comix. It is an "attempt", but no surprise, there was never a follow-up issue. I would consider Community Capers and publications like it (there are many) to be a good barometer of how passionate you are about collecting undergrounds. If you can: the spend the time tracking down a copy, (probably) pay a significant sum for it and still have no regrets after reading it, then your truly are a UG collector and welcome to the club.

cc1.PNGcc2.PNGcc3.PNGcc4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

On 6/6/2018 at 5:11 AM, CDNComix said:

Captain Sticky (first printing)

Published by: Self Published; Contributors: Richard Pesta (aka Captain Sticky); J. Holmes; Date: 1974; Price: 25 cents; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: magazine (7.75 x 10.25) Kennedy #: 391 (first printing not identified) Print information: two printings; number of copies unknown

Back in the early 70s, people really did some bizarre things even by today's standards at comic conventions.  At one end, there is the disturbing (to me at least) story of barely pubescent Heidi Saha who dressed in skimpy outfits to compete in convention costume events. Then at the other end of the spectrum there is the story of Richard Pesta, an overweight lawyer who championed social justice wearing his costume. I am not going to lose sleep over if Captain Sticky should be classified as an underground comix, but I am a little worried about what exactly made him so sticky.

There indeed is a first printing that differs from the second:

1) the front cover states "vol 1. no 1." to the right of the lower main title and below the artist signature;

2) has a different IFC with photo of Captain Sticky, no publication text on bottom stating second edition;

3) has different third page, goes right into the first comic story, the second printing has full text on that page.

4) slightly different back cover ad, does not have smaller secondary photo.

cs1.PNGcs2.PNGheidi at con.jpg

1. Thank you for taking the time to post this thread. I appreciate learning about all these odd/rare stuff. 

2. I never knew  about/history of Heidi Saha. It's beyond bizarre. 

Again. Many, many thanks. Please keep it up. I have nothing to add material-wise so all I have is a Big Thank You.