• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage June European Signature Auction
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Never attended in person so far but I was told that bidding culture in Paris and Brussels especially for "high-end" pieces is very much about live bidding in the sales room itself, either by the buyers personally or by representatives.

That, by nature, for a part, seems to be significantly different with the HA location in Dallas.

Should be very interesting to watch whether there will be a big live audience in IJsselstein/Utrecht (The Netherlands) on June 2nd (who is going to attend there, of all places? (:) or NOT. 

(Items will be on full preview in Paris May 17-19 and in Brussels May 25-27, though.)

Auction should be all about the competition with the established big auctioneers Artcurial and Christie's. It's a challenge?:popcorn:

In the event of success the next (only 2nd) HA auction in Europe supposedly is going to carry much more "treasures"?

Edited by Pickie

On 5/16/2018 at 11:08 AM, chromium said:

25% buyer's premium + 21% tax on top of that...looks like I'll be sitting this one out.

I'm still trying to understand this assertion. Auction terms says "19.5% for comics" and "25% for other" --hasn't OA always fallen under "comics" in the past? And the sales tax terms seem the same as always, based on locality, meaning I would owe Los Angeles sales tax: 9.25%. Where is 25%/21% coming from?

51 minutes ago, drdroom said:

I'm still trying to understand this assertion. Auction terms says "19.5% for comics" and "25% for other" --hasn't OA always fallen under "comics" in the past? And the sales tax terms seem the same as always, based on locality, meaning I would owe Los Angeles sales tax: 9.25%. Where is 25%/21% coming from?

It's there in the auction details on the Heritage website ?

Buyer's Premium per Lot:
25% of the successful bid (minimum $19) per lot.

21% is the sales tax in Europe.

You wouldn't pay any tax at all as you are in Los Angeles.

Edited by chromium

2 hours ago, chromium said:

You wouldn't pay any tax at all as you are in Los Angeles

I don't think that's correct. Here is what Heritage told me in an email this week:

"This is a HAGI sale in Texas. Sales tax is applicable if the property is delivered to Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois or California; otherwise, no sales tax is due."

My read of this is that a buyer in LA would pay CA sales tax.

7 minutes ago, oldwhy said:

I don't think that's correct. Here is what Heritage told me in an email this week:

"This is a HAGI sale in Texas. Sales tax is applicable if the property is delivered to Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois or California; otherwise, no sales tax is due."

My read of this is that a buyer in LA would pay CA sales tax.

Even when bought and paid in Europe ?

10 minutes ago, chromium said:

Even when bought and paid in Europe ?

I don't know any real specifics about this auction but it's not "bought and paid in Europe" if the buyer in LA buys it and it gets delivered to an LA address (and HA has an office in CA so CA taxes apply)

Edited by Ironmandrd

12 hours ago, glendgold said:

I see a lot of post-auction BINs.

Yeah, some unrealistic expectations from sellers.

There were a couple of Terry & the Pirates I was interested in, but not at the reserve prices.  Even the post-auction BIN price was still too high.

11 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

425k for tintin page

That's a rather bad result, especially since the preliminary version came with it (two drawings altogether). Estimations were 720k - 960k ... That's not very encouraging.

17 hours ago, Pickie said:
On 6/3/2018 at 3:50 AM, Panelfan1 said:

425k for tintin page

That's a rather bad result, especially since the preliminary version came with it (two drawings altogether). Estimations were 720k - 960k ... That's not very encouraging.

The under-performance of the piece compared to estimates even made the news in the local English language newspapers here.  

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

The under-performance of the piece compared to estimates even made the news in the local English language newspapers here.  

Buyer from Brussels ... I COULD see this piece/set on the auction block in Paris on short term and some old school collectors bidding it up just for the heck of it ... Not a very likely consignment, but could be the flip of the CENTURY. (: