• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

What are some of the longest running titles that nobody seems to actually collect any more?

Once upon a time, there were books that were popular enough to run for decades. But now, nobody seems to care.

Does anybody collect Sad Sack?

Or how about Archie and Me? For those who don't read Archie books, Archie and Me is a title focusing on stories where Archie interacts with Mr. Weatherbee. It's basically a Mr. Weatherbee title in the same way Reggie and Me is a Reggie title, and Betty and Me is a Betty title. It doesn't sound like a series that would exactly catch people's attention, but it ran for 161 issues over 23 years! But I'm not sure even Archie fans really collect it much these days. 

What other long running titles do people just not care about now?

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:

I see Kamandi for sale all the time, but never anyone buying it.

How about Ghost Rider?  Anyone buying that title apart from the #1 and Spotlight 5?

I'm the unicorn! I decided recently to do a Kamandi run...always wanted to read it end to end, but honestly the only reason I took it on is because I got two-thirds of it in one shot. 

And I know it's copper, but how could we forget West Coast Avengers?

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I see Kamandi for sale all the time, but never anyone buying it.

Just saw 2 thru 5 in decent condition in my LCS dollar box.   

I know it wasn't a long run, but Champions?  Seems to be a title nobody really cares for. 

16 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

What are some of the longest running titles that nobody seems to actually collect any more?

Once upon a time, there were books that were popular enough to run for decades. But now, nobody seems to care.

Does anybody collect Sad Sack?

I know this is the Bronze Age section but the question was asked so I will answer.

Yes, I absolutely collect Sad Sack comics although mostly the .10 cent issues and have completed all of the runs...

Sad Sack 1-125 

Sad Sack And The Sarge 1-28

Sad Sacks Funny Friends 1-36

Sad Sack Laugh Special 1-10

Sad Sack Complimentary 1-40 (less #12 which it seems never existed)

Plus issues such as...

Harvey Hits (23 issues featuring Sad Sack), Sad Sack Goes Home (1951), Sad Sack 3D W/Glasses (1954), Tastee Freeze #4 (1955) and all of the # 1 issues of all other titles + the last 3 issues of Sad Sack Comics in a collector pack.

On a Bronze Age note of titles that I feel were not popular...

I have collected and enjoyed Rom Spaceknight since it first came out in 1979, my complete run was purchased new from the newsstand or comic shop monthly as they came out.

9 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Cerebus, Brave and the Bold, Worlds Finest, Four Color Series 1 and 2, Challengers of the Unknown, Marvel Comics Presents, etc.

anyone still collect Adventure Comics?  Those last issues were digest size and getting difficult to find in high grade

Adventure has high points and low points due to the format, but there definitely are chunks that are still collected (Supergirl, Spectre, Black Orchid, Earth-2 stuff). The Spectre run in particular is one I think I'll be kicking myself for not grabbing more HG copies of some day. Seem to be a lot floating around now, but I could see them drying up fast and it's one of DC's best runs in the Bronze Age. 

Brave and Bold is another that I think still gets some attention and DC is putting out a volume 2 of the B&B Omni, so there's an audience for the material out there.

How about Ka-Zar? I don't think I have any first-hand experience of any person expressing any interest in this title or character in my lifetime. Tarzan seems pretty dead, too.