• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

I'll throw Submariner in the mix.  Sure folks collect it but for as many reboots as he's had and history and appearances, he does not sell to anyone.  A VG lot from 37-72 will sit if trying to get $1 a piece.  OK Issue 50 is a bit of a key. Thor cover battle issue 59 and the Spiderman appearance are decent too. 

10 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Marvel Age

Marvel Age starting to pick up with new covers (at the time) by McFarlane, Stan Lee, Thanos and first appearance of Cable by Rob Liefeld in a sketch.

Weak titles include Blackhawk, Doom Patrol, Korak, and Challengers of the Unknown from 1970s.

6 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I know this is the Bronze Age section but the question was asked so I will answer.

Yes, I absolutely collect Sad Sack comics although mostly the .10 cent issues and have completed all of the runs...

Sad Sack 1-125 

Sad Sack And The Sarge 1-28

Sad Sacks Funny Friends 1-36

Sad Sack Laugh Special 1-10

Sad Sack Complimentary 1-40 (less #12 which it seems never existed)

Plus issues such as...

Harvey Hits (23 issues featuring Sad Sack), Sad Sack Goes Home (1951), Sad Sack 3D W/Glasses (1954), Tastee Freeze #4 (1955) and all of the # 1 issues of all other titles + the last 3 issues of Sad Sack Comics in a collector pack.

On a Bronze Age note of titles that I feel were not popular...

I have collected and enjoyed Rom Spaceknight since it first came out in 1979, my complete run was purchased new from the newsstand or comic shop monthly as they came out.

That's awesome. The only comic my dad remembers reading as a kid was Sad Sack, so I bought a few for him. Wouldn't mind owning a #1 myself. 

Been mentioned before, but World's Finest has been a long neglected title.  On first pass, you'd think this would be impossible given how many Superman and Batman fans/collectors are out there.  I suspect that's because the fan base are polar opposites just like the characters.  I love Bats, but can't get into Supes. I suspect Supes fans feel the same way about Bats.  Putting them together in the same book would mostly drive both fan bases away instead of bring them together. I'm guilty of this myself as I only have a few WF books and most are just to I could complete my Adams Bats collection. Compared to Bats and Supes books of any ERA, WF books are dirt cheap in comparison. 

There might be long runs of JLA from the mid-70s through to the late 80s DeMatteis / Giffen relaunch that get largely ignored, apart from maybe the Perez Darkseid issues.

3 hours ago, ft88 said:

I'll throw Submariner in the mix.  Sure folks collect it but for as many reboots as he's had and history and appearances, he does not sell to anyone.  A VG lot from 37-72 will sit if trying to get $1 a piece.  OK Issue 50 is a bit of a key. Thor cover battle issue 59 and the Spiderman appearance are decent too. 

The first 20 issues sell, just not in low grade, but that's the same for most other bronze run books.  The black cover with Thing  (#8?) was tough for me to track down in nice shape without paying a bundle for it.

I think a harder question would be, what bronze non keys sell in all grades?

Edited by FineCollector

4 hours ago, ft88 said:

I always pick up copies of 1-14 on the cheap if I see them.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:56 PM, Brock said:

Doctor Strange

A shame.  A lot going for it; very good stories by Englehart and Stern, lots of nice art by Brunner, Colan, Golden, Rogers and Smith.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Because all of these have been mentioned, I did want to say that I have full runs of the following:

Jonah Hex, Dr. Strange, Conan, Warlord, Ghost Rider, Marvel Team Up, Marvel Two in One, Marvel Comics Presents, Champions, and Submariner.

I also have partial runs of Kamandi, Korak, Tarzan, Worlds Finest, Adventure and Strange Tales. So yeah, these are still collectable.

Admittedly, I don't have any Sad Sack. :sorry:

4 hours ago, PinkRoseCollection said:

I collect Tarzan. From 40's Dell  - 70's Marvel.  I seem to be on an island most of the time, but I don't mind  :cloud9:

I collect DC Tarzan. Particularly the Kubert issues.