• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

Does anyone really collect non-high grade bronze age DC books.  A booth at Motor City had their $2 books separated between Marvel and DC and the DC side was a ghost town and the Marvel side was swamped.  Bronze age Action and Adventure comics always seem to have plenty of books available and no one looking.

18 hours ago, namisgr said:

Does anyone but me collect the complete run of Master of Kung Fu?  I'm only missing two issues from the run of Special Marvel Edition 15 to MOKF 125, and love the consistently good stories and art of the series, but I don't see any more than the first few issues going for decent coin.

I do. :grin:

Which are you missing? hm

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
4 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I sold most of a run of Kull last weekend at a local show- with them 50% off out of our $2, $5, $10 stock.  So the guy paid like $30 for most of the run.

Lots of nice Severin art in there, a bit of Mike Ploog later on, IIRC.

Hardly drek.

Agreed. :sumo:

32 minutes ago, divad said:

I do. :grin:

Which are you missing? hm

Issues 22 (my copy bought off the rack was perfect, so I had it slabbed, it came back a cgc 9.8, and I sold it), and 59.

The last ish I bought when it was new was 54.  I was fortunate to buy a complete run of issues 66-125 from the Western Pennsylvania pedigree many years ago.  My current plan is to re-read the entire run start to finish, once I get through re-reading the 260 picture frame Marvels I've got grouped by month.  The Doug Moench stories are consistently enjoyable sleuthing mysteries with a martial arts twist, and the art from Starlin to Gulacy to Zeck to Day outstanding for their day.  It's amazing how cheaply the majority of the run can be bought still today.

Edited by namisgr

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, Black_Adam said:

And Weird Western Tales, especially once Scalphunter began...

I liked that Scalphunter run. Fleisher and Conway knew how to spin a good, quasi-historical yarn. Someday I hope to pick up the OA for one of the Dominguez covers.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Does anyone really collect non-high grade bronze age DC books.  A booth at Motor City had their $2 books separated between Marvel and DC and the DC side was a ghost town and the Marvel side was swamped.  Bronze age Action and Adventure comics always seem to have plenty of books available and no one looking.

I think a lot of comic buyers would rather buy a $3 Fine that they can handle casually than a $12 NM, and have money for something else.  In low grade, though?  No.  Better to throw a run of issues in a mag bag, sell at a dollar apiece or less, and remind people it's cheaper than buying a TPB.

I have to say. I collect many of the runs people have mentioned here. I just finished my Master of Kung Fu run - other than #15, I didn't pay more than a dollar for any issue until I got down to just two left, then I went and bought them online just to get it done with. I also have full runs of Warlord, Ghost Rider, West Coast Avengers (bought them all off the stands), Superman Family, the bronze and copper Blackhawk, Strange Tales (from #135, and vol. 2), Supergirl in Adventure, Doctor Strange, Jonah Hex, have nearly completed full runs of both Conan and Savage Sword of Conan, and am currently working on Weird Western featuring Scalpunter. 

However, I did sell off my full set of Kull, because that turned out to be a bridge too far. I also had a full run of World's Finest from #197-321 that I sold off because they just sucked so bad. 

Series even I can't get into collecting: Beetle Bailey? Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact? 

On 5/20/2018 at 12:01 PM, 1Cool said:

I collect or have finished (as readers copies) the DC war books, Jonah Hex, Warlord, and Kamandi. Claw the Unconquered isn't bad if you're into the sword & sorcery stuff. The earlier 70s DC horror books are great but the quality falls off as you get later in the decade. Not much else from DC in this period really does much for me. The main superhero stuff from DC during much of the 70s is just so ordinary. Thank goodness for Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans and Giffen's Legion beginning in the '79-'80-'81 or so time frame 

Edited by Jerkfro

29 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I read this whole thread to make sure that title got mentioned.

I've never even heard of Treasure Chest. It was a long running Bronze Age title? Gold Key? Charlton? Oooh, that reminds me, anyone collect the Phantom? I actually loved those comics when I was a kid (though I don't collect them).

22 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Treasure Chest ran from 1946 to 1972, over 500 issues. Distributed to parochial schools.

They now reside entirely in comic book stores, if one is to believe the comic book store owners I know.

I always figured there must be a treasure trove of undiscovered gems in this series, like key artists, anti-communist propaganda, unintended double entendres, etc.

But I wouldn't want to be the one who has to wade through 500 issues of this stuff to find it...

I've been putting together full runs of Conan and King Conan. I'll probably do Kull at some point as well. On the DC side I've been slowly working on Weird Western Tales, Jonah Hex and Warlord.

Edited by FutureFlash

On 5/20/2018 at 9:58 AM, namisgr said:

Issues 22 (my copy bought off the rack was perfect, so I had it slabbed, it came back a cgc 9.8, and I sold it), and 59.

Sorry, I don't have either in my HG MOKF box, and if they're in my other MOKF box, they are only VF or less.

1 minute ago, divad said:

Sorry, I don't have either in my HG MOKF box, and if they're in my other MOKF box, they are only VF or less.

Thanks for checking.  Spurred on by this thread, I bought a VF+ copy of 59 from Worldwide Comics.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:44 PM, electricprune said:

It didn’t run all that long, but what about Marvel Classics Comics. I don’t think there is a single set in the registry.

I'm a little surprised Barton doesn't have a set listed. Every time I see a Ghost Town sales thread it always seems to have a nice selection of slabbed, high-grade Marvel Classics Comics that, unfortunately for Barton, nobody seems to collect...:tonofbricks:

Edited by Black_Adam

On 5/19/2018 at 6:34 AM, fett said:

shift to Gold Key...how about Turok. To me that was an exausting run to collect for some reason. 

...and I'll bet that even though you may have every issue, you don't have all of the variants lol  :bigsmile:.

That run lasted for about 30 years.  This is truly one title I'm surprised isn't collected on a wide basis.  Beautifully painted covers; beautiful interiors by (for a large part) the VERY under-rated Alberto Giolitti; great stories.  People are missing out on a lot by not reading this title.