• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

On May 24, 2018 at 11:13 PM, Brock said:

I always figured there must be a treasure trove of undiscovered gems in this series, like key artists, anti-communist propaganda, unintended double entendres, etc.

But I wouldn't want to be the one who has to wade through 500 issues of this stuff to find it...

There's actually a handful of anti-communist issues (Sinnott Art IIRC) that sell when they infrequently show up on eBay, but I think those are the only hidden nuggets. Mind you, I think we are talking about the difference between sitting in a dollar box (most of run) and getting grabbed up at $10-$20 range. Not big money, but substantively different from much of the run.

On May 22, 2018 at 11:02 AM, Jerkfro said:

I collect or have finished (as readers copies) the DC war books, Jonah Hex, Warlord, and Kamandi. Claw the Unconquered isn't bad if you're into the sword & sorcery stuff. The earlier 70s DC horror books are great but the quality falls off as you get later in the decade. Not much else from DC in this period really does much for me. The main superhero stuff from DC during much of the 70s is just so ordinary. Thank goodness for Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans and Giffen's Legion beginning in the '79-'80-'81 or so time frame 

Thx for mentioning Claw; that reminds me: from that same era, if anyone reading this hasn't tried Stalker, fish those out of the cheapie bins. Only four issues, neat twist on a superpowered sword and sorcery guy on another world, art by Ditko inked by Wally Wood. One of the few short-run bronze series I've read and wished were longer at series' end. 

7 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

...and I'll bet that even though you may have every issue, you don't have all of the variants lol  :bigsmile:.

That run lasted for about 30 years.  This is truly one title I'm surprised isn't collected on a wide basis.  Beautifully painted covers; beautiful interiors by (for a large part) the VERY under-rated Alberto Giolitti; great stories.  People are missing out on a lot by not reading this title.

nope not a variant collector usually, just bought them to scan them years ago.

12 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I'm a little surprised Barton doesn't have a set listed. Every time I see a Ghost Town sales thread it always seems to have a nice selection of slabbed, high-grade Marvel Classics Comics that, unfortunately for Barton, nobody seems to collect...:tonofbricks:

It's a shame.  There is some nice artwork in there.  Michael Golden and Alex Nino, from memory.

15 minutes ago, MisterX said:

Another thread over in General got me wondering about two Copper series, Groo and the Nam. Anybody still collecting runs of those titles?

Was tempted, as a used bookstore nearby has about 10 at $2 a piece, but how long is the run?

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Was tempted, as a used bookstore nearby has about 10 at $2 a piece, but how long is the run?

75-84 are the last issues of the Nam. Prices on the last four can be $10-$20 (or more for 84), unless you luck out buying a multi-issue lot or run.  For Groo, 110-120 are the tougher ones. Prices are all over for these. $5-$40 or more for slabbed 120s.

6 minutes ago, MisterX said:

75-84 are the last issues of the Nam. Prices on the last four can be $10-$20 (or more for 84), unless you luck out buying a multi-issue lot or run.  For Groo, 110-120 are the tougher ones. Prices are all over for these. $5-$40 or more for slabbed 120s.

I appreciate the feedback (thumbsu

A little ironic as last I was at the bookstore they had a nova #25, which I knew was a last issue. I'll keep this info in mind, so thanks again!

Marvel Fanfare - hard to think of it as a bronze title, but The 1st series started in 1982 and ran until 1991. 

On 5/20/2018 at 9:58 AM, namisgr said:

Issues 22 (my copy bought off the rack was perfect, so I had it slabbed, it came back a cgc 9.8, and I sold it), and 59.

The last ish I bought when it was new was 54.  I was fortunate to buy a complete run of issues 66-125 from the Western Pennsylvania pedigree many years ago.  My current plan is to re-read the entire run start to finish, once I get through re-reading the 260 picture frame Marvels I've got grouped by month.  The Doug Moench stories are consistently enjoyable sleuthing mysteries with a martial arts twist, and the art from Starlin to Gulacy to Zeck to Day outstanding for their day.  It's amazing how cheaply the majority of the run can be bought still today.

i've got this on my to be read list as well, missing a handful of the early issues but not willing to pay anything for them

5 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Marvel Fanfare - hard to think of it as a bronze title, but The 1st series started in 1982 and ran until 1991. 

It started out strong enough with a couple of decent X-Men and Dr Strange stories, but then became quite generally mediocre and inessential, with one or two bits of quality in amongst the dross, such as BWS' Thing story, some David Mazzucchelli, Dave Gibbons, and a Chris Claremont coda to the Death of Captain Marvel, but far too patchy as a whole.

Edited by Ken Aldred

12 hours ago, Brock said:

We could probably add Defenders to the discussion...

My Defenders run goes to about #69, although I think I‘m missing a few issues in the 50s and don’t have much desire to fill those in. I enjoyed all the early issues and the Steve Gerber run but started to lose interest in the upper 40s.

15 hours ago, nickwire said:

does anyone really  collect fantastic four past number 50? I think there area few semi keys past then but anyone clamoring for any?

The run I’m working on is 1-300. I have dozens of issues past 300, but don’t have an interest in reading or keeping them.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:41 PM, pemart1966 said:
On 5/19/2018 at 6:34 AM, fett said:

shift to Gold Key...how about Turok. To me that was an exausting run to collect for some reason. 

...and I'll bet that even though you may have every issue, you don't have all of the variants lol  :bigsmile:.

That run lasted for about 30 years.  This is truly one title I'm surprised isn't collected on a wide basis.  Beautifully painted covers; beautiful interiors by (for a large part) the VERY under-rated Alberto Giolitti; great stories.  People are missing out on a lot by not reading this title.

I enjoy Turok a lot. I need the first issue but otherwise have the first 30, and then sporadic issues after that. Turok is a back burner title for me though, I’ll pick them up when they come across my path and when I’m in the mood.

15 hours ago, nickwire said:

does anyone really  collect fantastic four past number 50? I think there area few semi keys past then but anyone clamoring for any?

Ahem.  FFs 51,52,53,55,57,66,72-75, and 77 along with all the later annuals (4-6) are all highly sought after.  There are plenty of others less pricey but still highly collected.  Just check out the Fantastic Four collecting thread for confirmation.

As for the Bronze Age, all of the picture frame issues are highly collected, as are the Steranko covers.  The Perez and Byrne runs are both cool and very inexpensive below 9.8.

Edited by namisgr

23 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I enjoy Turok a lot. I need the first issue but otherwise have the first 30, and then sporadic issues after that. Turok is a back burner title for me though, I’ll pick them up when they come across my path and when I’m in the mood.

You're missing out on some great art and story telling.  Giolitti's art starts to really develop and there's some very intelligent writing by Paul S. Newman.  WAY undervalued in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Pontoon said:

My Defenders run goes to about #69, although I think I‘m missing a few issues in the 50s and don’t have much desire to fill those in. I enjoyed all the early issues and the Steve Gerber run but started to lose interest in the upper 40s.

The David Anthony Kraft era.  The early stories following on from Gerber were good, with Giffen and Golden on art, but, likewise, I started to lose interest around the same point myself. The last issues I bought as a kid were the ones  I recall referencing Blue Oyster Cult.