• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

Very interested to see what people collect out of the list of runs that "nobody collects!"

I've been meticulously filling in high-grade runs, or sets within runs, for many of these bronze titles for years and in many cases am either finished or am a few issues away from finishing. I don't anticipate a sudden shortage or a surge in prices for many of these books so I always felt I could afford to be patient or picky as there's never been any urgency. I'll pick them up when I see them in great shape and when the price is right. Although, some titles you don't want to sleep on.

Here's a listing of the books mentioned by y'all so far:

DC

• Adventure Comics (Supergirl)
  • Blackhawk
  • Brave and the Bold
  • Challengers of the Unknown
  • Claw the Unconquered
  • Doom Patrol
  • House of Mystery (Dial H for Hero)
  • Jonah Hex
  • Justice League of America (mid-1970s and later)
  • Kamandi
  • Korak
  • New Teen Titans
  • Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Superman Family
  • Tarzan
  • Warlord
  • Weird Western Tales (Scalphunter)
  • World's Finest

Marvel

• Conan the Barbarian
  • Defenders
  • Doctor Strange
  • Fantastic Four
  • Ghost Rider
  • Groo (Copper)
  • Ka-Zar
  • King Conan
  • Kull the Destroyer
  • Marvel Age (Copper)
  • Marvel Comics Presents (Copper)
  • Marvel Fanfare
  • Marvel Super-Heroes
  • Marvel Team-Up
  • Marvel Two-In-One
  • Master of Kung-Fu
  • Nam (Copper)
  • Rom Spaceknight
  • Savage Sword of Conan
  • Strange Tales
  • Sub-Mariner (except early issues)
  • West Coast Avengers

Other

• Aardvark-Vanaheim: Cerebus
  • Archie Comics: Archie and Me; Reggie and Me
  • Charlton: Beetle Bailey, <insert title here>
  • Dell: Four Colour Comics
  • George A. Pflaum: Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact
  • Gilberton: Classics Illustrated
  • Gold Key: Turok
  • Harvey: Sad Sack

Of the mentioned titles, I don't necessarily agree that Fantastic Four or Adventure Comics should be on that list. Popularity has waned somewhat or the FF but there's still life in that title. Don't know if the same can be said about Conan the Barbarian. That title has been in free-fall for quite some time.

For what it's worth, here's some more titles that so far haven't been mentioned:

DC

• All-Star Squadron
  • Batman and the Outsiders
  • Demon
  • Metal Men

Marvel

• Alpha Flight
  • Dazzler
  • Invaders
  • Marvels' Greatest Comics
  • Marvel Spotlight (after Ghost Rider and issue #32)
  • Marvel Tales
  • Marvel Triple Action
  • Micronauts
  • New Mutants
  • Power-Man and Iron Fist
  • Savage She-Hulk
  • Spectacular Spider-Man

And for fun, here's a list of bronze runs that might have been on this list ten years ago but have noticed an increased interest, some due to movies and such:

DC

• All-Star Comics
  • DC Comics Presents (?)
  • Flash
  • Green Lantern
  • Wonder Woman

Marvel

• Captain America (?)
  • Captain Marvel
  • Eternals
  • Invincible Iron Man
  • Jungle Action
  • Marvel Premiere
  • Mighty Thor
  • Moon Knight
  • Ms. Marvel
  • Nova
  • Power-Man (?)
  • Spectacular Spider-Man (earlier issues)
  • Star Wars
  • Uncanny X-Men (post Claremont/Byrne)
Edited by letsgrumble

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

My run is 1-50, with a few miscellaneous issues after. Like the Defenders, the stories didn't grab me and neither did the art.

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I stopped after the Project Pegasus and Her storylines, around issue 60.  Annual 7 is often overlooked in favour of Annual 2.

My cut off point is Project Pegasus too, the Chic Stone art in later issues left a lot to be desired. 

When we say "no one collects," are we saying no one wants them at all, or no one's paying retail?  I'll happily pay a buck or two for Savage Swords.

Two you can't give away for even a dollar: 80s Starman, and Namor the Sub-Mariner.

On 5/19/2018 at 4:30 AM, fett said:

<Negro Romances> by Charlton Comics. :bigsmile:

DeMatteis & Giffen Legion of Superheroes. These were great books that ran concurrent with the new teen titans in the early 80s.
Great books and I have put together a run, but usually get them from the $1 bin. I *believe* that they must have just printed the mess out of these books.

OTOH. The first Moon Knight series and the Alan Moore Swamp Things are some books that I never see back issues in stores anymore. 

Edited by Jack Linguini

Here’s where I am with some more of the B-Listers:

Kamandi - have a full run of the Kirby issues.

Strange Tales - have most of 169-188. Not a huge Warlock fan though.

Ka-Zar - working on it when I’m in the mood .

Sub-Mariner - yes.

Demon - have a full run of the original series.

Invaders - the first 24 or so.

Marvel Spotlight - yes.

Power-Man - up to around 52.

Spectacular Spider-Man - up to around 42.

I don't know that many Archie collectors that like The New Archies or Archie's Weird Mysteries, but I grew up watching both cartoons and recently started added the corresponding comics to my collection. Both series were short-lived though. I'd imagine many of the long-running Archie digests might not be all that popular, as there aren't as many titles available now. But, with that being said, I still read and collect all Archie-related comics :blush:

Edited by archiecomicscollector

On 5/16/2018 at 1:26 PM, Crimebuster said:

What are some of the longest running titles that nobody seems to actually collect any more?

Once upon a time, there were books that were popular enough to run for decades. But now, nobody seems to care.

Does anybody collect Sad Sack?

Or how about Archie and Me? For those who don't read Archie books, Archie and Me is a title focusing on stories where Archie interacts with Mr. Weatherbee. It's basically a Mr. Weatherbee title in the same way Reggie and Me is a Reggie title, and Betty and Me is a Betty title. It doesn't sound like a series that would exactly catch people's attention, but it ran for 161 issues over 23 years! But I'm not sure even Archie fans really collect it much these days. 

What other long running titles do people just not care about now?

And, yes, I collect Archie and Me! :banana:

I just recently bought a stack of 70s Richie Rich comics and I don't think anyone cares about those. Richie Rich must have been hugely popular from the early 70s to the early 80s, there were literally 18 or 20 different Richie Rich titles being published at the same time during that time. Also Hot Stuff, Little Dot, Little Audrey and all those harvey titles like that that ran for 30 years and more that no one cares about. So many Dell/Goldkey/Whitman titles that ran forever and racked up hundreds of issues and no one care about any of them.

6 hours ago, catman76 said:

I just recently bought a stack of 70s Richie Rich comics and I don't think anyone cares about those. Richie Rich must have been hugely popular from the early 70s to the early 80s, there were literally 18 or 20 different Richie Rich titles being published at the same time during that time. Also Hot Stuff, Little Dot, Little Audrey and all those harvey titles like that that ran for 30 years and more that no one cares about. So many Dell/Goldkey/Whitman titles that ran forever and racked up hundreds of issues and no one care about any of them.

People do care about those books. Sure, it's nowhere near as many people who care about superhero books but they do have a dedicated fan base. 

I collect Richie Rich because I read them as a kid. Not interested in high grade copies though. I want to read them.