• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2018 at 10:23 AM, october said:

That's awesome. The only comic my dad remembers reading as a kid was Sad Sack, so I bought a few for him. Wouldn't mind owning a #1 myself. 

When I first started reading comics in the mid 1960s, Sad Sack was favorite title when I was 6 and 7. I think mainly I liked the "big nose" art. 

On 5/31/2018 at 8:11 AM, Pontoon said:

Here’s where I am with some more of the B-Listers:

Kamandi - have a full run of the Kirby issues.

Strange Tales - have most of 169-188. Not a huge Warlock fan though.

Ka-Zar - working on it when I’m in the mood .

Sub-Mariner - yes.

Demon - have a full run of the original series.

Invaders - the first 24 or so.

Marvel Spotlight - yes.

Power-Man - up to around 52.

Spectacular Spider-Man - up to around 42.

nice drek 

i mean nice comic runs :foryou:

On 5/17/2018 at 11:10 AM, Readcomix said:

Does anyone collect marvel team-up or two-in-one? 

Warlord was the first title that came to mind.

Collect:

MTU - #1 (ultra-rare in 9.8) and #4 (X-Men)

MTIO  Annual  #2 (continues from Avengers Annual #7 and end of the second Thanos War).

For reading:

MTU # 55 (Warlock's final adventure before the second TW)

MTIO #61 - 63 (Her and solid backstory on Warlock)

Nothing else is a standout.

7 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

Collect:

MTU - #1 (ultra-rare in 9.8) and #4 (X-Men)

MTIO  Annual  #2 (continues from Avengers Annual #7 and end of the second Thanos War).

For reading:

MTU # 55 (Warlock's final adventure before the second TW)

MTIO #61 - 63 (Her and solid backstory on Warlock)

Nothing else is a standout.

I think there's a lot of fun in both runs actually. I just don't think they are on a lot of people's radar.

9 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I think there's a lot of fun in both runs actually. I just don't think they are on a lot of people's radar.

I find both titles to be a very mixed bag at best, but there are definitely some standouts that I'm not sure everyone is aware of.

As an Avengers fan and huge fan of Kang the Conqueror, it wasn't until many, many years after I finished my Avengers run that i discovered to my complete befuddlement that there's a big 3-part Avengers/Kang epic hiding in Marvel Team-Up #9-11. Kang defeats the Avengers at the start of #9, except for Iron Man who manages to escape and get help from Spidey, and then it spirals from there to include the Human Torch and the Inhumans among others. Only #10 mentions Kang on the cover, though, so unless you read the issues you'd never know what was hiding inside. 

Marvel_Team-Up_Vol_1_10.jpg

I collect MTU but it's the least important to be as far as the Spidey on-goings go. I loved a lot of those issues between 50-70. The Iron Fist/Daughters of the Dragon issues63-64, Hulk, Warlock, Daredevil. Some great covers also.

19 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

I collect MTU but it's the least important to be as far as the Spidey on-goings go. I loved a lot of those issues between 50-70. The Iron Fist/Daughters of the Dragon issues63-64, Hulk, Warlock, Daredevil. Some great covers also.

I enjoyed these, especially the Chris Claremont / John Byrne run.

On 5/25/2018 at 5:44 PM, electricprune said:

It didn’t run all that long, but what about Marvel Classics Comics. I don’t think there is a single set in the registry.

I have a high grade set from issue 1 to 12 which are all the issues from 1976.  I have been putting together a complete set of all Marvel titles from 1976.  That is the year I started collecting.

On 5/30/2018 at 3:16 PM, letsgrumble said:

Very interested to see what people collect out of the list of runs that "nobody collects!"

I've been meticulously filling in high-grade runs, or sets within runs, for many of these bronze titles for years and in many cases am either finished or am a few issues away from finishing. I don't anticipate a sudden shortage or a surge in prices for many of these books so I always felt I could afford to be patient or picky as there's never been any urgency. I'll pick them up when I see them in great shape and when the price is right. Although, some titles you don't want to sleep on.

Here's a listing of the books mentioned by y'all so far:

I am not sure what's going on with the boards today, but I'm unable to actually type anything below the part I quoted above.  ???

Anyway, what I was going to say is ... I don't think anyone mentioned Champions #1-17.  Can it be that there are titles so obscure that nobody remembers that nobody collects them?

3 hours ago, iganatz said:

human_fly_marvel_1_vg1.jpg.46306b9200a8b25f99cc71775c79dc1f.jpg

I never understood the rocket on his belt buckle.  Where does a rocket play into this?  He was injured in a car wreck, and was a stuntman.  There was no rocket involved.  I guess a 'fly' on a belt buckle wouldn't be very becoming.  But it would make more sense to put say, a dumpster on his belt buckle, not a rocket.  

Edited by Mercury Man

5 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I never understood the rocket on his belt buckle.  Where does a rocket play into this?  He was injured in a car wreck, and was a stuntman.  There was no rocket involved.  I guess a 'fly' on a belt buckle wouldn't be very becoming.  But it would make more sense to put say, a dumpster on his belt buckle, not a rocket.  

Marvel, of course, did it because the real Human Fly had it on his costume... and he had a rocket-powered motorcycle for some of his stunts, so perhaps that's the original reason for wearing a rocket belt?