• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2018 at 3:28 PM, The Professor said:

Warlord is a great read and yes people collect it. 

Mike Grell is super cool btw.

you can pick the comics up super cheap. 

I also had the Remco toys as a kid.

1788714B-6600-4316-8AAE-417F58871660.jpeg

89F9F41E-80D0-40E0-9774-6CF40B639455.jpeg

Warlord is a great read.  It also might be the longest running story arc in the history of comics.

Early Little Lulu is also sheer genius.  Some remarkable stories in there.  Tubby sinking in quicksand is one that stands out in particular.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:17 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Sad Sack Complimentary 1-40 (less #12 which it seems never existed)

I know that this thread has been dormant since last year, but I just ran across it and was curious if you ever ran across Sad Sack HD #12.  I found a beat up copy in Pittsburgh a few years ago that I bought until I can find a better copy.  I still need 10 more issues for this set, 9 for Sad Sack and the Sarge, 8 for Sad Sack's Funny Friends and 1 for Sad Sack Laugh Special.  I have a ways to go on the main Sad Sack title with 51 issues still on my want list.

I found it funny that I collect or have collected at some point almost every title mentioned in this thread.  I guess that I don't collect many of them now because I completed my runs of Richie Rich, Warlord, Savage Sword of Conan, Kamandi and others a long time ago.

I am also probably one of the few people who collects Treasure Chest.  I have over 450 of the 508 issues and read through the entire title back in March/April.  The issues that I am missing are all available online.

I also collect Four Color Series II and have around 200 issues to go to complete the set.  I know two people that have complete runs of the title.

sad 12.JPG

19 hours ago, kaculler said:

I know that this thread has been dormant since last year, but I just ran across it and was curious if you ever ran across Sad Sack HD #12.  I found a beat up copy in Pittsburgh a few years ago that I bought until I can find a better copy.  I still need 10 more issues for this set, 9 for Sad Sack and the Sarge, 8 for Sad Sack's Funny Friends and 1 for Sad Sack Laugh Special.  I have a ways to go on the main Sad Sack title with 51 issues still on my want list.

I found it funny that I collect or have collected at some point almost every title mentioned in this thread.  I guess that I don't collect many of them now because I completed my runs of Richie Rich, Warlord, Savage Sword of Conan, Kamandi and others a long time ago.

I am also probably one of the few people who collects Treasure Chest.  I have over 450 of the 508 issues and read through the entire title back in March/April.  The issues that I am missing are all available online.

I also collect Four Color Series II and have around 200 issues to go to complete the set.  I know two people that have complete runs of the title.

sad 12.JPG

OMG!!!  :whatthe:  

A very "Well Loved" copy that should be cherished and you should be proud to own since it seems to be EXTREMELY hard to find.

That is the first time I have ever seen the cover of #12 and now I know it actually exists... 

The hunt is back on. :smile:  :wishluck:

:idea: Maybe I should hire Indiana Jones to find it for me.   hm  

32 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

OMG!!!  :whatthe:  

A very "Well Loved" copy that should be cherished and you should be proud to own since it seems to be EXTREMELY hard to find.

That is the first time I have ever seen the cover of #12 and now I know it actually exists... 

The hunt is back on. :smile:  :wishluck:

:idea: Maybe I should hire Indiana Jones to find it for me.   hm  

We'd had the discussion about Sad Sack HD #12 a few times in one of the Harvey Comics groups on Facebook and the only listings we could find were a couple of old Heritage auctions that each had a copy of #12 as part of the contents.  I was going through $3 boxes at a store in Pittsburgh while on vacation when it just jumped out at me.  If one exists, there should be more...somewhere.  I still need #1,2,11,13,14,26,29,39,40.  I've seen copies of some of these on occasion, but usually priced at more than I am willing to pay.

Good luck in your hunt!

On 7/27/2018 at 3:17 AM, Dr Zen said:

Definitely the first 52 issues with Grell story and art.

He still did the story and covers until around issue 70. Those are good too, just not as good.

Grell's wife at the time, Sharon Wright, ghosted the scripting of most or all issues from #53 to 71.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-167/

9 hours ago, ben parker said:

Not sure if this fits here or not but Hero for Hire was a short run series before it changed names

does anyone collect the original character books.

Hero For Hire #1 is a reasonably in-demand book.  Not sure how many people collect the full run, but I have graded copies of the original #1-16 run as well as #17, the first issue under the new "Power Man" title.  I also have graded copies of #48-50, the trilogy that transformed the title into "Power Man and Iron Fist."  The rest of the full run (#18-47 and 51-125) I have raw.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hero For Hire #1 is a reasonably in-demand book.  Not sure how many people collect the full run, but I have graded copies of the original #1-16 run as well as #17, the first issue under the new "Power Man" title.  I also have graded copies of #48-50, the trilogy that transformed the title into "Power Man and Iron Fist."  The rest of the full run (#18-47 and 51-125) I have raw.

I have the entire run,am in the process of getting #1 graded,maybe the run gets important some day.What is your average grade on the run.I have considered getting the run graded but I have 100 ASM's to consider as well. Any thoughts on the matter?

8 hours ago, ben parker said:

I have the entire run,am in the process of getting #1 graded,maybe the run gets important some day.What is your average grade on the run.I have considered getting the run graded but I have 100 ASM's to consider as well. Any thoughts on the matter?

I bought the entire run raw more than ten years ago, and you can see from the choices I made which parts of the run I felt were worth getting graded (#1-17 and #48-50).  What I've learned from getting my raw books graded is that what I thought were 9.0 - 9.4 books could come back anywhere from 8.5 - 9.6 with rare outliers as low as 7.0 or as high as 9.8.  So I would guess my raw books would fit that general pattern.

If I were going to get one run graded, it would be ASM without question.  That's the only title for which I went all the way to the 90s with (I am assembling a graded run from #1-400).  The only other title for which I went past the 70s (with exceptions for individual titles) would be X-Men, for which I went through issue #143 and sometimes toy with the idea of going to #200.

Hope that helps!

50 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I bought the entire run raw more than ten years ago, and you can see from the choices I made which parts of the run I felt were worth getting graded (#1-17 and #48-50).  What I've learned from getting my raw books graded is that what I thought were 9.0 - 9.4 books could come back anywhere from 8.5 - 9.6 with rare outliers as low as 7.0 or as high as 9.8.  So I would guess my raw books would fit that general pattern.

If I were going to get one run graded, it would be ASM without question.  That's the only title for which I went all the way to the 90s with (I am assembling a graded run from #1-400).  The only other title for which I went past the 70s (with exceptions for individual titles) would be X-Men, for which I went through issue #143 and sometimes toy with the idea of going to #200.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,interesting discussion,I guess I really knew the answer to my ASM vs HfH question just needed 

to hear it from someone else. I think grading key issues first makes the most sense,after that do you have any 

thoughts on which to grade next?(earlier issues vs better quality issues) any particular issues stand out for you

I was thinking  #86(Black Widow) #42,#135 and #147

14 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:
On 7/26/2018 at 10:17 PM, Dr Zen said:

Definitely the first 52 issues with Grell story and art.

He still did the story and covers until around issue 70. Those are good too, just not as good.

Grell's wife at the time, Sharon Wright, ghosted the scripting of most or all issues from #53 to 71.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-167/

Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for posting that. Reading the article, Grell says - "I was otherwise occupied with the Tarzan comic strip, Starslayer and creating Jon Sable. Something had to give and Sharon Wright just happened to be an enormously talented writer who thoroughly understood the character (something ensuing writers seemed to lack) and told a great story.

Boy, he's right about that. Warlord just wasn't the same after he and his wife stopped writing the series.

I think nearly all of the Marvel/DC titles mentioned in this thread do sell... just not at guide. If a Marvel Team-Up #104 is $8 in NM in Overstreet, it will be a cold day in he!! when anyone could ever sell a raw copy at that price -- even a pristine condition one. I pack my $3 boxes with Defenders, Sub-Mariners, MTUs, World's Finests, Adventures, etc from the bronze age, and they sell well. In fact, at the show I did on Sunday, I sold a stack of Marvel Team-Ups from 100-150 (probably 25 of them). 

And I also have a separate $3 box for "loincloth comics" -- those books where the heroes all wear some animal pelt over their junk and nothing else. Tarzan, Conan, Kull, Kamandi, etc. I've found that many collectors who buy those books don't care about super-heroes, and they like that there is one spot for all their "savage" goodness.

Edited by RCheli

3 hours ago, ben parker said:

Thanks,interesting discussion,I guess I really knew the answer to my ASM vs HfH question just needed 

to hear it from someone else. I think grading key issues first makes the most sense,after that do you have any 

thoughts on which to grade next?(earlier issues vs better quality issues) any particular issues stand out for you

I was thinking  #86(Black Widow) #42,#135 and #147

Let me start by saying that many people would advise you not to bother grading your books until and unless you want to sell them.  Especially if you're grading a lot of books, you are going to put a lot of money in that you can't get back out until you finally sell.  In my case, I had specific target grades for various parts of my collection and I wanted ("needed") to know that my books met the bar -- in many cases, my graded books became undercopies as I went out and bought copies that matched my target.  Also, even though I'm still pretty young, I had a goal of putting my collection in a state where my family could easily liquidate it for maximum value if the need ever arose.

So, with that advice in mind ... without knowing what issues you own, or in what grades, I would say any ASM book from #1 through #50 is worth grading (the further back in the run, the lower the grade at which you can justify the expense).  Same thing from #51-100, except that the bar is higher (I would only incur the cost for high-grade copies).  After #100, there are a few keys like #101 and #129 where even a mid-grade copy might be worth grading, but otherwise I wouldn't grade anything that I expected to come out below 9.0 or even 9.4.  The bar gets higher and higher as you go later in the run, with the occasional key (#194, #252, #300) where a broader grade range could be justified.

It's as much art as science.  I would suggest you use GPA or another price guide and determine how much you would need a book to be worth, post-grading, to justify the grading costs.  That, plus your own preliminary grade, will tell you whether you think a particular copy of a particular issue is worth it.

All of this is just my two cents and I imagine there will be others who can provide additional / better advice.

50 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Let me start by saying that many people would advise you not to bother grading your books until and unless you want to sell them.  Especially if you're grading a lot of books, you are going to put a lot of money in that you can't get back out until you finally sell.  In my case, I had specific target grades for various parts of my collection and I wanted ("needed") to know that my books met the bar -- in many cases, my graded books became undercopies as I went out and bought copies that matched my target.  Also, even though I'm still pretty young, I had a goal of putting my collection in a state where my family could easily liquidate it for maximum value if the need ever arose.

So, with that advice in mind ... without knowing what issues you own, or in what grades, I would say any ASM book from #1 through #50 is worth grading (the further back in the run, the lower the grade at which you can justify the expense).  Same thing from #51-100, except that the bar is higher (I would only incur the cost for high-grade copies).  After #100, there are a few keys like #101 and #129 where even a mid-grade copy might be worth grading, but otherwise I wouldn't grade anything that I expected to come out below 9.0 or even 9.4.  The bar gets higher and higher as you go later in the run, with the occasional key (#194, #252, #300) where a broader grade range could be justified.

It's as much art as science.  I would suggest you use GPA or another price guide and determine how much you would need a book to be worth, post-grading, to justify the grading costs.  That, plus your own preliminary grade, will tell you whether you think a particular copy of a particular issue is worth it.

All of this is just my two cents and I imagine there will be others who can provide additional / better advice.

I have #21 thru # 135,I am currently having #'s 100,101 121 122 and 129 graded.I think I have reasonable expectation 

for a range of grades from 7.0 to 8.5 for all books. My plan is to pass them on to my son at some point.Back to the original topic 

the HfH run I am not sure what to do with,I believe they would all be 8.) or better(when I get #1 back I will know more)

On 6/4/2019 at 11:38 AM, chronosafe said:
  • American Flagg
  • Miracleman
  • Judge Dredd

I loved all those series, I was surprised when I came back to comics after a couple of decades break that they weren't really worth anything.

Some Dredds aren’t dollar bin fodder. And definitely some Marvelman.

On 6/4/2019 at 2:21 PM, The Cult of Pulp Culture said:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but how about ARAK: Son of Thunder. I remember quite enjoying this title when it came out at the tail end of the Bronze Age.

Yes, though Copper.