• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, electricprune said:

It's a sub set, but Dial H for Hero in House of Mystery probably doesn't sell well.

And it sold even worse when they revived Dial H for Hero and plugged it into Adventure Comics, one of the final nails in the coffin for the iconic series after nearly 45 years...

On May 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM, Mercury Man said:

Just saw 2 thru 5 in decent condition in my LCS dollar box.   

I know it wasn't a long run, but Champions?  Seems to be a title nobody really cares for. 

I had most of Champions from childhood and finished it off recently to read end to end before trading it. It's pretty disjointed, lots of creative direction changes. They didn't seem to know what to do with it.

The exception is issue 16, which is a crossover with supervillain team-up 14  -- Dr Doom vs Magneto, with the Champions and Avengers involved. Nice two-book tale.

42 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

And it sold even worse when they revived Dial H for Hero and plugged it into Adventure Comics, one of the final nails in the coffin for the iconic series after nearly 45 years...

Actually, I guess we can add Adventure Comics to the list also as the Bronze Age stuff is very lightly collected, with the possible exception of the Aparo Spectre run. Does anyone colect Supergirl? 

On 5/16/2018 at 6:48 PM, Brock said:

Marvel Super-Heroes

Superman Family

Korak

Tarzan 

I used to collect Korak and Tarzan as a kid in the 70's. My LCS gave me slanted looks when I started grabbing them from his box to fill holes in my original collection. :grin:

As a whole I would have to say Conan.  Other then a handful of key books the entire run of Conan, Savage Sword of Conan, King Conan and Kull are slow, slow sellers.  

11 hours ago, 1Cool said:

As a whole I would have to say Conan.  Other then a handful of key books the entire run of Conan, Savage Sword of Conan, King Conan and Kull are slow, slow sellers.  

The Roy Thomas/Barry Smith issues are still pretty well collected.  I listed Conan #s 1-10 as a set here on the boards, and the set sold within a couple of hours of being listed.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Ka-zar may be the biggest block of Bronze that Marvel has not seen fit to reprint in any format, even a cheap B&W Essential.  I guess Sgt Fury is even bigger, but that started in the SA. 

Ka-Zar Masterworks vols 1 and 2

Edited by Ken Aldred

Does anyone but me collect the complete run of Master of Kung Fu?  I'm only missing two issues from the run of Special Marvel Edition 15 to MOKF 125, and love the consistently good stories and art of the series, but I don't see any more than the first few issues going for decent coin.

10 minutes ago, namisgr said:

The Roy Thomas/Barry Smith issues are still pretty well collected.  I listed Conan #s 1-10 as a set here on the boards, and the set sold within a couple of hours of being listed.

I count 1-10 as being exception to the Conan hate.  Try listing a set of 30 - 60 in anything less then 9.6/9.8 and you will hear some crickets.  Savage Sword is worse.  Ultra high grade copies still sit in the $5 bins of all but the first few issues.  I don't think there is a Kull or King Conan issue that is in demand.

8 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Does anyone but me collect the complete run of Master of Kung Fu?  I'm only missing two issues from the run of Special Marvel Edition 15 to MOKF 125, and love the consistently good stories and art of the series, but I don't see any more than the first few issues going for decent coin.

Seems like a saw a couple of nice runs in long boxes at Motor City this weekend. If you want to PM me which two you need and grade requirements, I’ll look for you.

Seems I looked a while back and one issue in that run didn’t have a 9.8 copy graded yet.

13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Ka-Zar Masterworks vols 1 and 2

:whatthe: clearly I haven't been paying attention!!!!!!! Granted, the 2nd volume came out in the last 2 months, but the 1st was from 2013.  Now that I look at the cover, it is vaguely familiar.  i"m just embarrassed that I forgot, considering I'm a (formerly active) mod on the Collected Editions message board.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

13 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I count 1-10 as being exception to the Conan hate.  Try listing a set of 30 - 60 in anything less then 9.6/9.8 and you will hear some crickets.  Savage Sword is worse.  Ultra high grade copies still sit in the $5 bins of all but the first few issues.  I don't think there is a Kull or King Conan issue that is in demand.

I sold most of a run of Kull last weekend at a local show- with them 50% off out of our $2, $5, $10 stock.  So the guy paid like $30 for most of the run.

:whatthe: clearly I haven't been paying attention!!!!!!! Granted, the 2nd volume came out in the last 2 months, but the 1st was from 2013.  Now that I look at the cover, it is vaguely familiar.  i"m just embarrassed that I forgot, considering I'm a (formerly active) mod on the Collected Editions message board.

A fascinating website. I used to read the boards often, back when I was an Archive and Masterwork collector of paperbacks and hardcovers, not often once I switched to digital reading.   I did pick up Ka-Zar Masterworks Vol 1 in a 69p sale on Comixology.  Lots of nice art in there from Kirby, BWS, Buscema, Kane and Adams.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I sold most of a run of Kull last weekend at a local show- with them 50% off out of our $2, $5, $10 stock.  So the guy paid like $30 for most of the run.

Lots of nice Severin art in there, a bit of Mike Ploog later on, IIRC.

Hardly drek.