• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

My Defenders run goes to about #69, although I think I‘m missing a few issues in the 50s and don’t have much desire to fill those in. I enjoyed all the early issues and the Steve Gerber run but started to lose interest in the upper 40s.

The David Anthony Kraft era.  The early stories following on from Gerber were good, with Giffen and Golden on art, but, likewise, I started to lose interest around the same point myself. The last issues I bought as a kid were the ones  I recall referencing Blue Oyster Cult.

Yup, that’s where I gave up the ship. lol I think the gaps in my run come from when was losing interest and only half-heartedly picking them up. I'm not even sure if I ever read the last few I bought.

On 5/24/2018 at 11:13 PM, Brock said:

I always figured there must be a treasure trove of undiscovered gems in this series, like key artists, anti-communist propaganda, unintended double entendres, etc.

But I wouldn't want to be the one who has to wade through 500 issues of this stuff to find it...

The "Godless Communism" storyline from 1961 is tremendous.

cover_01.jpg

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

Ahem.  FFs 51,52,53,55,57,66,72-75, and 77 along with all the later annuals (4-6) are all highly sought after.  There are plenty of others less pricey but still highly collected.  Just check out the Fantastic Four collecting thread for confirmation.

As for the Bronze Age, all of the picture frame issues are highly collected, as are the Steranko covers.  The Perez and Byrne runs are both cool and very inexpensive below 9.8.

9.8 Bronze and Copper Age Fantastic Fours are blowing up. Trust me, I know.

14 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
20 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Marvel Fanfare - hard to think of it as a bronze title, but The 1st series started in 1982 and ran until 1991. 

It started out strong enough with a couple of decent X-Men and Dr Strange stories, but then became quite generally mediocre and inessential, with one or two bits of quality in amongst the dross, such as BWS' Thing story, some David Mazzucchelli, Dave Gibbons, and a Chris Claremont coda to the Death of Captain Marvel, but far too patchy as a whole.

I agree but it's fun to pick out the gems.

22 hours ago, MisterX said:

Another thread over in General got me wondering about two Copper series, Groo and the Nam. Anybody still collecting runs of those titles?

I used to have a full run of Groo that I bought off the stands, but I got rid of most of it when I realized I was never going to re-read them. 

I am currently collecting Nam. I've put together #1-50 for next to nothing. Haven't really even come across later issues much in the wild though. The first 30 issues or so seem extremely common in quarter or dollar boxes, but past #40 they seem to be few and far between. I'm sure if I wanted to spend any actual money on issues I could find them, but on a budget, I'm not seeing later issues around at all. 

On 5/17/2018 at 3:18 PM, divad said:
On 5/17/2018 at 7:47 AM, fett said:
On 5/17/2018 at 5:56 AM, divad said:

NOBODY collects Marvel Two-In-One. :sumo: nobody . . . .

I beg to differ. 

Ok, one. :grin:

Make that 2 :shy: 

How about this Tales of Suspense reprint run, sporting brand new covers?  Anybody?  This is the only ish I bought back in the day.  While not quite 'long running', there were at least 21 issues published.

MDF1sale.JPG.0b1e82b5d4073207607adf7d7c5117dc.JPG

Edited by namisgr

9 hours ago, namisgr said:

How about this Tales of Suspense reprint run, sporting brand new covers?  Anybody?  This is the only ish I bought back in the day.  While not quite 'long running', there were at least 21 issues published.

MDF1sale.JPG.0b1e82b5d4073207607adf7d7c5117dc.JPG

absolutely!! one of my favorite series. I started buying it for this cover though :) 

MarvelDoubleFeature011.jpg

Conan will probably always be my favorite Bronze series and character, and I'm still trying to complete a run of Savage Sword, slowly but surely. The barbarians were what I always read first as a kid (and Fantastic Four)

MarvelSuperSpecial009.jpg

MarvelSuperSpecial009ConanCromAd.jpg

Edited by fett

On May 28, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Brock said:

We could probably add Defenders to the discussion...

I bought it off the racks as a kid starting with #12, then went back to filling in the first 11. Still have it, will read it end to end eventually before deciding whether I can release it. Definitely gets spotty later on, but it's wacky throughout as I remember.

16 hours ago, batmiesta said:
On 5/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, divad said:
On 5/17/2018 at 2:47 AM, fett said:
On 5/17/2018 at 12:56 AM, divad said:

NOBODY collects Marvel Two-In-One. :sumo: nobody . . . .

I beg to differ. 

Ok, one. :grin:

Make that 2 :shy: 

My run is 1-50, with a few miscellaneous issues after. Like the Defenders, the stories didn't grab me and neither did the art.

16 hours ago, namisgr said:

I pick them up as decent cheap copies come across my path, though mostly just the issues with completely new covers as opposed to those that were reworked.

20 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I pick them up as decent cheap copies come across my path, though mostly just the issues with completely new covers as opposed to those that were reworked.

I have a 1 thru 3 of most of those titles (bought when were lower demand), and like you, I favor later issues that have newer artwork, like Starlin's awesome Marvel Super-Heroes cover with the Bruce Banner-to-Hulk transformation!  :cloud9:

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

I have one of those:

MSH47.jpg

Always loved that Starlin cover.  I remember buying it from my favorite outdoor newsstand (just outside the Arlington Station T stop in Boston) and walking through the nearby Boston Common park with that book.

2 hours ago, Pontoon said:

My run is 1-50, with a few miscellaneous issues after. Like the Defenders, the stories didn't grab me and neither did the art.

I stopped after the Project Pegasus and Her storylines, around issue 60.  Annual 7 is often overlooked in favour of Annual 2.

12 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I stopped after the Project Pegasus and Her storylines, around issue 60.  Annual 7 is often overlooked in favour of Annual 2.

I recently completed reader runs of Two-In-One 1-100 with annuals and Defenders from 1 into the 80s. Haven't sat down to read them yet. 

32 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:
45 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I recently completed reader runs of Two-In-One 1-100 with annuals and Defenders from 1 into the 80s. Haven't sat down to read them yet. 

I had close to the whole run but I knew I would never get to the later issues so I gave up and sold them. I already have a backlog of stuff that I’m looking forward to sitting down to read.