• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long running titles that nobody collects
5 5

221 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

Not sure if this one was mentioned but I don't think anyone ever collected these...

717073.jpg

Very slow-burning.  It took years for the Thanos Copter issue's brilliance to become widely appreciated.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Very slow-burning.  It took years for the Thanos Copter issue's brilliance to become widely appreciated.

I think Spidey Super Stories has had a group of people looking for them for a decade or so now.  What it does have is the almost complete rejection by anybody who isn't actually collecting the series; so while there's more interest in the title than a lot on the list, there's also a larger number of people going "Why?" or "You're kidding, right?".

For myself, I love them.  7 issues left to go...

Spidey_Super_Stories_34.jpg

Spidey_Super_Stories_37.jpg

Spidey_Super_Stories_19.jpg

Spidey_Super_Stories_36.jpg

Spidey_Super_Stories_39.jpg

23 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think Spidey Super Stories has had a group of people looking for them for a decade or so now.  What it does have is the almost complete rejection by anybody who isn't actually collecting the series; so while there's more interest in the title than a lot on the list, there's also a larger number of people going "Why?" or "You're kidding, right?".

I think someone mentioned that this series is hard to find in nice shape just because of the age group that initially read it. Good luck to those searching for nice copies!

On 7/20/2018 at 2:19 PM, OtherEric said:

While I do not collect this title, I do chase and buy the ones with the blank UPC.  Does 39 exist with a white box?

3 hours ago, ShieldAgent said:

While I do not collect this title, I do chase and buy the ones with the blank UPC.  Does 39 exist with a white box?

I don’t think so, but I’m much more familiar with the DC Whitman variants than the Marvels.  So I’m not positive.  GCD doesn’t show a variant, at least.

6 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I don’t think so, but I’m much more familiar with the DC Whitman variants than the Marvels.  So I’m not positive.  GCD doesn’t show a variant, at least.

For March '79 there's Micronauts, Shogun Warriors, and Battlestar Galactica that have had blank UPC boxes shown as "variants", but no superhero comics for that month, although the hero titles start again for April cover dates.

On 5/24/2018 at 7:48 PM, KirbyJack said:

Treasure Chest ran from 1946 to 1972, over 500 issues. Distributed to parochial schools.

They now reside entirely in comic book stores, if one is to believe the comic book store owners I know.

classic example of an entire run of drek lol 

On 7/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, OtherEric said:

For myself, I love them

Me too you're not alone, what Spidey collector would not want a set even just to find out what Spidey was getting up too when he wasn't fighting Goblins or Doc Ock.<3 

Edited by tv horror

On 7/21/2018 at 12:59 PM, Not A Clone said:

I think someone mentioned that this series is hard to find in nice shape just because of the age group that initially read it. Good luck to those searching for nice copies!

Back in the 90's, I completed a run of ASM. Mostly higher grade, never settling for any low grade place holders. After I finished, I started to collect Spidey Super Stories. I was never able to finish, just couldn't find them in high grade.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:17 AM, MisterX said:

Another thread over in General got me wondering about two Copper series, Groo and the Nam. Anybody still collecting runs of those titles?

I collect The Nam, just missing issues 81-83.  I think I paid less than $2 each once it averages out.  It’s a fun series to read IMHO.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:17 PM, MisterX said:

Another thread over in General got me wondering about two Copper series, Groo and the Nam. Anybody still collecting runs of those titles?

I have complete raw runs of everything Groo has ever been in (that I know of ... I've never consulted an official master list).  It's always been a favorite of mine and those books have a lot of sentimental value.

Earlier this year I decided to pick up graded copies of his first appearance as well as his first issue with Epic/Marvel ... I would love to put together a 9.8 run of his 8 Pacific issues at some point!

1012259604_DestroyerDuck1CGC9.6.thumb.jpg.8bfd74cc67e1009e47d84e330b53b4e7.jpg

2110533140_Groo1CGC9.8.jpg.cf55e9b337b66ce2f714e87cc45cac47.jpg

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I have complete raw runs of everything Groo has ever been in (that I know of ... I've never consulted an official master list).  It's always been a favorite of mine and those books have a lot of sentimental value.

Earlier this year I decided to pick up graded copies of his first appearance as well as his first issue with Epic/Marvel ... I would love to put together a 9.8 run of his 8 Pacific issues at some point!

1012259604_DestroyerDuck1CGC9.6.thumb.jpg.8bfd74cc67e1009e47d84e330b53b4e7.jpg

2110533140_Groo1CGC9.8.jpg.cf55e9b337b66ce2f714e87cc45cac47.jpg

:golfclap:Lots of people collect Groo!  And many others are waiting for the long delayed Groo Omnibus reprinting his adventures.  

On 5/16/2018 at 7:21 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Cerebus, Brave and the Bold, Worlds Finest, Four Color Series 1 and 2, Challengers of the Unknown, Marvel Comics Presents, etc.

anyone still collect Adventure Comics?  Those last issues were digest size and getting difficult to find in high grade

Huh?  There are incredibly long threads on the Golden Age boards dedicated to Four Color collectors, and that's setting aside the many great series that started as Four Colors (Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, etc.) which are still hotly collected.

6 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Huh?  There are incredibly long threads on the Golden Age boards dedicated to Four Color collectors, and that's setting aside the many great series that started as Four Colors (Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, etc.) which are still hotly collected.

I think those collectors are a very passionate and vocal minority.  

I didn't read the whole thread, but my answer to the question is unquestionably and absolutely Warlord.  By far the longest running Bronze series that absolutely no one collects.

14 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I didn't read the whole thread, but my answer to the question is unquestionably and absolutely Warlord.  By far the longest running Bronze series that absolutely no one collects.

What's your best picks for reading material?