• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC vs Marvel as a kid
1 1

76 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - to me Kirby worked on some stuff, and didn't on others.  I liked his old FF stuff at Marvel, and it worked for the new stuff at DC (for ne), but when he went back to Marvel and did Captain America and Black Panther :sick:

Nowadays i love anything he drew.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I never met another kid who read comics till 12th grade.  as a child I sorta thought I was the only kid who read comics.

I changed high schools after my freshman year, and my new school was way larger.  I saw a kid walking the other way with a "Howard the Duck for President" t-shirt on, and, hey, Whoah!   He became my buddy for the rest of high school and we went to many conventions together.

8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I changed high schools after my freshman year, and my new school was way larger.  I saw a kid walking the other way with a "Howard the Duck for President" t-shirt on, and, hey, Whoah!   He became my buddy for the rest of high school and we went to many conventions together.

When i was 14 I got a shirt with an iron on superman logo.  the college bookstore my dad went to had shirts and you pick what iron on you want and they iron it on.   I thought it was the most incredible thing to ever happen to me.  Previous to that I had painted one on a blue shirt to the best of my ability with my dad's acrylics.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, kav said:

When I was a kid I only bought DC.   I had a couple Marvel books, and the stories were always continued.  I didnt get to buy comics that often so it was pointless and traumatizing to have a book with no ending.  The few DC books that had a continued story traumatized me.  I always wondered what happened.  The Aquaman where Mera got kidnapped and the World's Finest where Superman lost his powers and became Nova stand out.   I wonder if the Marvel fans were mostly kids who got to buy comics every month.

Yeah that is why i almost never bought FF as a kid as they were ALWAYS continued,... i bought all kinds of marvel Bronze horror like monsters on the prowl and the others ...

i always bough DC Sgt Rock and also Flash as a kid ,.... never Charlton because that was pure drek,

used to buy Richie Rich and Little Lulu once in awhile too......

In fourth grade my allowance was 35 cents a week  ( for unloading and loading the dishwasher,... which i never did )

and i used to buy at least one comic per week, sometimes a pack of Topps football cards and also Big Daddy gum ,... green apple or cinnamon flavor lol...

once a month i had to save a nickel from my previous weeks allowance to buy a Mad Magazine because they cost 40 cents........

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

In fourth grade my allowance was 35 cents a week  ( for unloading and loading the dishwasher,... which i never did )

and i used to buy at least one comic per week, sometimes a pack of Topps football cards and also Big Daddy gum ,... green apple or cinnamon flavor lol...

once a month i had to save a nickel from my previous weeks allowance to buy a Mad Magazine because they cost 40 cents........

I would get a quarter-2 comics and a red licorice.  This was the old days where the store had individual candy in wooden trays behind glass and you tell em what you want.  Man it was tough deciding what comics to get.  

5 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Liked Marvel because basically they just had way more characters,while DC seemed like a two trick pony with Superman and Batman.

Plus Marvel had Stan Lee who made you feel like you was part of a special community that was going on. 

Wait they also had flash, GL, hawkman, wonder woman, JLA, legion, Strange Adam, martian manhunter, unknown challengers, atom, blackhawk and metamorpho and metal men.

Edited by kav

11 minutes ago, kav said:

Man it was tough deciding what comics to get.  

No kidding and i mentioned it before, but one time i accidently bought a Submariner comic 15 center that i had already read at a friends house ,..

so the next day i snuck it back on the rack and got a different comic i hadn't read yet.....

later on that year in fourth grade at the same store i got busted for stealing a Payday candy bar , and i had to go back to the store every day for two weeks and sweep the parking lot.....

Edited by 1950's war comics

18 minutes ago, kav said:

Wait they also had flash, GL, hawkman, wonder woman, JLA, legion, Strange Adam, martian manhunter, unknown challengers, atom, blackhawk and metamorpho and metal men.

I read in the early 1980s and it seemed like just Batman and Superman. I guess DC in the sixties was more exciting with many more characters,

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

My dad bought me comics every week from 1975-1978. He was a DC guy, so he rarely missed JLA, Superman, Batman, GL/GA etc.  He was much spottier with Marvel and he hated the X-Men so I only got about 2 out of every five UXM. I slightly preferred marvel, but really loved both almost equally.

Why did your dad hate the X-Men? 

I grew up as a Marvel kid based on the fact that Marvel had Star Wars and GI Joe at the time. If we went on a roadtrip, my parents would let me buy a comic at the gas station. By the time I got old enough to ride my bike down the street to 7-11, I'd buy an X-Men comic maybe 2-3 times a year. Once I got to jr high and found a local comic shop, that's when I became a monthly reader. Silvestri was starting his run, Classic X-Men was also just starting, throw-in an occasional Annual by Art Adams, and it was truly a magical time to be an X-Men fan. In hindsight, the best part was being able to dive into the X-Universe and trying to get caught up on everything. If an issue was referenced, I'd dig through the back-issue bin and see how cool the cover was. I may have missed out on Cockrum's second run, Paul Smith, and Romita Jr, but enough things were implied that I never felt lost or confused. The Official Marvel Handbooks helped me understand the extended Marvel Universe without me actually having to read all the comics. The local comic shop was awesome in helping me track down early Wolverine stories like the Miller limited series or Wolverine and Kitty Pryde, as well as tracking down early appearances in Spider-Man, Hulk, Alpha Flight, and Daredevil. Then crossover events like Fall of the Mutants and Inferno happened and I became a full-blown comic fan :)

As a young kid, I was given 50p to go away and buy some comics on market day, in order to stop pestering my mother and gran for a while, so that they could escape for a coffee and pie at the cafe there. A bit of peace for a few minutes, away from a noisy, hyperactive brat, I guess. That's how it all started for me.

3 hours ago, kav said:

When I was a kid I only bought DC.   I had a couple Marvel books, and the stories were always continued.  I didnt get to buy comics that often so it was pointless and traumatizing to have a book with no ending.  The few DC books that had a continued story traumatized me.  I always wondered what happened.  The Aquaman where Mera got kidnapped and the World's Finest where Superman lost his powers and became Nova stand out.   I wonder if the Marvel fans were mostly kids who got to buy comics every month.

How is it that theres no movie made about you yet??

4 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

How is it that theres no movie made about you yet??

There really should be.

29 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

As a kid I subscribed to Batman, I started with issue 349 till issue 365

I remember hating making that decision cause ALMOST EVERY DAMN ISSUE continued in that month's Detective comics which I had not subscribed to

For some reason I never thought of subscribing.  This could have easily been a birthday or christmas present.  It's like i didnt believe they would actually send them or something.  What a waste.

I only had 5 marvels as a kid.  I did not buy them on the stands and cannot remember how I got them.  Probably from one kid in 7th grade that I would buy stacks of books for a dollar that he got somewhere.

88-1.jpg

89-1.jpg

86-1.jpg

109-1.jpg

181-1.jpg

My brother and I grew up in very early 80s we read Teen Titans, X-Men, Avengers and JLA. 

Teen Titans was fantastic and Terra you are still a :censored: You cold hearted slut.

X-men was fantastic I remember being stunned by the Murderworld issue with Wolverine killing Kitty on the cover. Peter and Kitty's romance. The Marauders Good Times
Going back and reading X-Men 137 months later along with 141 and 142 were just jaw dropping. That scene with Storm dying in 142 just floored me as a teenager and look 
on Peter's face.

JLA I thought was great at the time does not hold up. We were reading that fill in JLA team of Vibe and Vixen and such.

Avengers had some great stuff. Paul Ryan was fantastic as well as Stern and others during that period.