• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions

3 posts in this topic

I'm a college student studying communications and language and one of my assignments is to study the language used by a group I'm not a part of. I enjoy marvel movies but I'm not very familiar with comic books. I was hoping some people here might be able to answer some questions for me about the interactions you have with other comic book fans and with people show aren't fans. you can answer all, some, or none of these questions, anything helps! 

1. what (in you opinion) determines whether someone is a fan of comic books?

2. what got you into comics/ why do you enjoy them?

3. what are some common stereotypes, and how do you address those?

4. do you get together with others to discuss comics, and if so what types of things do you talk about?

5. what are your opinions on people who watch comic book based movies but don't read the comics? What about fans who do research on the comics related to said movies with out actually reading them? 

6. how do you decide which series to get into? 

thank you again to anyone willing to help!

Edited by katie19

1. I would consider anyone that reads comics or collects them is a fan. (I'm including the word "or" as I suspect while many people collect comics, they may not necessarily read them).

2. I read them as a kid then dropped into Doug Sulipa's Comic World store sometime in the '70's and became a collector when I found out that people collected these.

3. A good source for some stereotypes would be watching Big Bang. However, most of the people I've talked to don't fit the mold. We are all just regular people who happen to enjoy a hobby.

4. I don't get together with other people but am interested in many of the things talked about on the forum. It's how I keep in touch with what's happening in the hobby.

5. People who never read comics but watch the movies are people who like action movies. I'm sure they must have at one time or another picked up an X-Men or Avengers comic at one time. Hard not to in this day and age. I didn't realize some people did research on  the characters in the movies they watch. Perhaps it's a way of getting more people involved with the hobby?

6) As far as which series to get into, I am under the opinion that most collectors nowadays collect keys and not series. Back in the '70's I liked everything Marvel with some DC so collected most of the different runs available. I simply collected what I enjoyed reading. That's an important statement as many collectors agree you should collect what you enjoy. I collected runs for the reading and also so I'd have the next hot book...before it became hot and expensive. I currently own many comics that I purchased for pennies on the dollar over what I would have to spend to own it today. That's a fun part of the hobby for me anyway.

Anyone else?

1. what (in you opinion) determines whether someone is a fan of comic books?

I don't think someone has to necessarily be a collector of comics to be a fan.  Someone who appreciates the art and thinks they are kind of cool then I feel you are a fan. 

2. what got you into comics/ why do you enjoy them?

My parents started buying me comics when i was little and I pretty much learned to read via comic books.  I enjoyed the collecting aspect and enjoyed seeing long boxes full of a complete set - condition really didn't matter but having a complete set that I could read mattered most.  On rainy or sad days I could always grab a stack of books and get right back into the story.

3. what are some common stereotypes, and how do you address those?

People obviously saw comic book collecting as geeky when i was a kid but now it's still kind of geeky as an adult but geeky is cool.  Some stereotypes are true - check out most pictures of small comic cons and the guys fairly closely match the Simpsons comic book dealer.  Overweight, glasses and balding definetely would fit a good portion of the comic book buyers of today.  But we can't change who we are so live it up and don't be worried about what other people think is a good moto.

4. do you get together with others to discuss comics, and if so what types of things do you talk about?

I get my comic book fix from talking to people on the boards and at various comic cons through out the year.  The CGC boards is stock full of different views and the discussions about the comic market and problems in the industry can be heated.  I don't really read comics any longer other then the occasional older book that catches my eye so I don't usually discuss comics story very often.  Variants suck! 

5. what are your opinions on people who watch comic book based movies but don't read the comics? What about fans who do research on the comics related to said movies with out actually reading them?

They are fine as long as they do not call themselves comic book fans.  If you have never picked up a comic book and only watch the movies then you are a super-hero fan which is fine.  Being a comic book fan and especially a CGC collector takes a special kind of anal craziness which I don't begrudge people not being.  

6. how do you decide which series to get into?

I was a big X-Men and Spiderman in the 80/90s and pretty much bought everything Marvel put out (most of it not very good).  Now I tend to read series like Fables and Sage which have an adultish theme but I mostly just reread older books that I get in the house.  So many great TV shows has pulled me away from spending time reading comics.